Home > Marketing > Is it a good idea to give complementary service to your client?

Is it a good idea to give complementary service to your client?

Suppose that you agree to provide consulting service and work on some project. You and you client agree that you give it a try for a month. The first month went ok and got paid. Meanwhile, you and your client are still working on the same project, but no formal agreement is made yet. At this stage, is it a good idea to provide complimentary free service to your client in order to establish a good working relationship? - by ohcnetwork
Suppose that you agree to provide consulting service and work on some project. You and you client agree that you give it a try for a month. The first month went ok and got paid. Meanwhile, you and your client are still working on the same project, but no formal agreement is made yet. At this stage, is it a good idea to provide complimentary free service to your client in order to establish a good working relationship?
No. Certainly not in the sequence you describe. I think if you are involved in doing that, you have to determine what is stopping you from reaching a formal agreement. I get the impression that's the real issue that prompts your post. - by Gary Boye
I get the impression that's the real issue that prompts your post.
Yes, you're right.

Q. if and when agreement is kind of loose, like for instance, in this case, is it better to keep it like that or it's better to have a more concrete agreement? Does it all depend? - by ohcnetwork
Q. if and when agreement is kind of loose, like for instance, in this case, is it better to keep it like that or it's better to have a more concrete agreement? Does it all depend?
Good question. My initial reaction to your question is to be in favor of a more concrete agreement. But it's one of those initial judgements I have learned not to completely trust in myself.

What does your gut feeling say? Better yet--you're closer to the situation than I am. Deep down you already know the answer for your specific circumstances. What's stopping you from listening to what your good instincts are telling you.

Think about it. - by Gary Boye
is it a good idea to provide complimentary free service to your client in order to establish a good working relationship?
I NEVER work for free. I'll toss in a little extra stuff at no charge for a needy customer. I'll even give more of my time (when I can) or I'll give more than their money's worth...BUT I'LL NEVER work for free. I learned that the hard way.

Instead of appreciating you, they lose value and respect for you and are always looking for more free work!:mad: - by RainMaker
I wouldn't let it go a day past the original term. If I was the consumer I might view a lack of a formal agreement as being unprofessional. - by WobblyBox
...BUT I'LL NEVER work for free. I learned that the hard way.

Instead of appreciating you, they lose value and respect for you and are always looking for more free work!:mad:
Which leads me to assume you had worked for free at some point, correct? Your hard earned lesson may be just what this thread needs. We all benefit from learning from other people's mistakes and trying to avoid making them in our own business. Modeling is a great way to avoid pitfalls.

It is my opinion that some level of pro bono work might be justified but at what cost and under what terms? Those are very subjective questions. In my profession, if I were to provide certain services for free to one client and not another, I could very well lose my license if it is misconstrued as discriminatory in any way, shape, or form.

I think we are all tempted to offer free services when we are first starting out - but they usually come back to haunt us down the road. That's just normal insecurity blinding our sensibilities and keeping us from appreciating how much we truly have to offer our clients. - by Irene Morales Ward
I too think that it's not wise to continue without some form of agreement. It doesn't have to be a contract but at the very least a conversation and agreement to terms. - by SEO-LAD
I think to throw in a bit of Free Extra work as long as u get paid in Overall Might be worth it as the client will see you work hard and more bussniess will come your way - by Sanddollar
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.