Home > Presentation > Word, PowerPoint, etc.

Word, PowerPoint, etc.

When do you or should you create some kind of presentation using Word, PowerPoint, etc.? Is this for projects whose budget is above certain level? - by ohcnetwork
When do you or should you create some kind of presentation using Word, PowerPoint, etc.? Is this for projects whose budget is above certain level?
Internal or external projects? I don't believe PowerPoint slideshows are usually effective one on one or for initial sales presentations. I use it most often for my own reference on subjects. I'm a prolific list maker using bullets and outlines to categorize knowledge--and sometimes I'll make a PP presentation as a learning tool for myself--then review it when the need arises. In the Clearbridge Publishing training and seminars on Sun Tzu and strategy, it is a very important part of our work. - by Gary Boye
Internal or external projects? I don't believe PowerPoint slideshows are usually effective one on one or for initial sales presentations.
External. So, it's not one of tools you want to use when you want to get a contract? - by ohcnetwork
External. So, it's not one of tools you want to use when you want to get a contract?
It is not a tool that would be used at the point of closure. Presentations do not "close". Conversations do. - by Gary Boye
It is not a tool that would be used at the point of closure. Presentations do not "close". Conversations do.
Then, ... when are you supposed to use PowerPoint? - by ohcnetwork
Then, ... when are you supposed to use PowerPoint?
I don't think there is any literature available to the general public as to when we are "supposed" to use PowerPoint. Perhaps those instructions appear in the employee manuals of certain private companies where they make it mandatory. I don't know. Do you work for such a company that makes it mandatory? If so, they probably provide instructions as to when you must use it.

I do know that Microsoft created the program as a tool to give visual presentatons. Does that help? - by Gary Boye
Do you work for such a company that makes it mandatory?
Nope. Someone I used to work with made a lot of PowerPoint presentations for his customer/client. At the time, it seemed like a good approach, but I'm not so sure if it was the best approach if I think about it now. - by ohcnetwork
When do you or should you create some kind of presentation using Word, PowerPoint, etc.? Is this for projects whose budget is above certain level?
I would think you could use this application for any project you want regardless of budget. Wherever you see fit. - by WobblyBox
In my industry, real estate, I find PowerPoint presentations are a powerful tool to conclude my presentation. The initial rapport with the customer is not established via a laptop but with genuine human interaction. Because the sale of real estate is such an emotional transaction, I find dynamic use of images and music helps reinforce my competency and clearly demonstrates my marketing ability. I suppose this might be inappropriate in other industries, but for me, it's essential. - by Irene Morales Ward
= ...I find dynamic use of images and music helps reinforce my competency and clearly demonstrates my marketing ability...
Wow--that needs highlighting for fear that is gets lost in this discussion. It is the sale within the sale. The presentation of your own value within the process of presenting a product--particularly since you are the product when all is said and done.

Did everbody else pick that up? Phenomenal, Irene! I love it! A wonderful idea to share here. - by Gary Boye
...It is the sale within the sale....
That's an interesting point since I've never thought of myself as a salesperson. I suppose we are always selling - a concept, product, theory, dream, service, etc. I need to remember that. Thanks for the positive feedback, Gary. - by Irene Morales Ward
In the past, companies I work for generally use collateral material (sell sheets, etc) in sales presentations, to support one-on-one sales calls. Powerpoint would be used by the sales managers in cases where they had to train a group - bringing on a new broker or launching a new product to the sales force, for example. As far as I know it was not the primary tool in closing a sale.

Powerpoint was also used for financial presentations (to the board or lenders) and internal presentations such as status meetings, quarterly updates, or presentation of marketing plan.

I don't think I ever worked for a company where there were written rules about what to use...it was whatever the specific conventions were at the company. - by Bobette Kyle
I've been subjected to too many sales people reading their PowerPoint slides directly from their laptop. In most cases, the presentations were dull, focused on the seller vs. the buyer, and did nothing to motivate me to buy. Most of these sales people relied on their presentation and, in some cases, they were unable to deliver their presentation without their laptop.

However, if used properly, I think PPT can be of benefit. In Irene's case, the use of music and images is a definite step in the right direction.

In my business (speaking), I've seen lots of "professional" speakers rely too much on their slides as well. I believe that less is more.

Cheers!

Kelley - by Kelley Robertson
Hi

I have been in sales for 20+ years and have consistantly been one of the top performers, if not the top. I do not know how to use powerpoint and I have no intention of learning it. Very occasionally I will have someone create a few slides for me but it is only a "few" and only when absolutely necessary. I feel they can distract from the "sales conversation." - by tessa
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.