Home > Referrals > Buzz Marketing

Buzz Marketing

I saw this article earlier today and thought others might find it of interets. http://www.usatoday.com/money/books/reviews/2005-07-25-buzz-marketing_x.htm - by Jackie
Interesting read. I thought the example of indoor marketing was very unique. :) - by Houston
Has anybody already read this book? If so, what do you think? I read the reviews at Amazon but they were all five (5) stars. Kind of makes me wonder. :rolleyes: - by SalesGuy
Has anybody already read this book? If so, what do you think? I read the reviews at Amazon but they were all five (5) stars. Kind of makes me wonder. :rolleyes:
I haven't read the book but I have seen this book advertised via SPAM across several different forums. :( - by AZBroker
There is a company out there that, for a fee, will create buzz about your product or service. They enlist volunteers who learn about new products, and if they like them, they talk them up. The volunteers earn reward points.

I seem to recall that the service was fairly expensive...but certainly an interesting concept!
- by Terri Zwierzynski
I know bzzagent and am on their list to participate in their buzz campaigns. I think the campaigns are fairly expensive and from what I can tell they utilize viral, on the web, word of mouth strategies. It is glorified PR where you are trying to create any and all attention and awareness for you , your product or services. I have achieved the same type of buzz just with simple radio interviews during my book tour. It kind of reminds me of the old adage: If you want people to buy more, you have to ask a lot of people to buy.

Happy Marketing,
Al Lautenslager, Author, Guerrilla Marketing in 30 Days - by Guerrilla Marketer
this technique pops up every couple years and everyone acts like it's new. If you read the article - you'll notice the lead example comes from the dot-bomb era. How fitting. The other example is Pep Boys - another marginal player.

Buzz marketing is expensive and only temporary - not a substutute for a focused marketing campaign which will support sales. Because it is word of mouth (uncontrolled dialogue) it is also dangerous - what you're not told by advocates of buzz marketing is that it can work against you - in other words, if the "buzz" becomes distorted or incorrect. Remember the hypodermic needles in Coke cans? Another way it backfires is if the market thinks they know about you, but they really don't - so they ignore any more messaging - remember Marimba? It was a high tech company that was headed by an attractive former dancer (Kim Polese) that got lots of "buzz" - problem was - everyone had "heard " about Marimba - but no one had a clue as to what they did. They couldn't get their sales message across through the "buzz". Their PR firm who championed the technique later went out of business. Guess they couldn't generate enough buzz. - by Consultant
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.