Home > Advertising > Joseph Sugarman says 80% of success in marketing is product

Joseph Sugarman says 80% of success in marketing is product

Agree or disagree? Why? - by Wonderboy
Agree or disagree? Why?
There has to be more to it than that. It looks out of context. - by Marcus
There has to be more to it than that. It looks out of context.
Are you familiar with Joseph Sugarman? (you may be through his BluBlocker TM sunglasses) - by Wonderboy
Are you familiar with Joseph Sugarman? (you may be through his BluBlocker TM sunglasses)
I am not familiar with him other than what came up with a Google search. I didn't find anything in Google where he said success in marketing is product. Is that a quote or a generalization? - by Marcus
I am not familiar with him other than what came up with a Google search. I didn't find anything in Google where he said success in marketing is product. Is that a quote or a generalization?
Not an exact quote. It came from one of his books. - by Wonderboy
Not an exact quote. It came from one of his books.
Did he say more? What exactly about the product leads to success? - by Marcus
Did he say more? What exactly about the product leads to success?
He didn't specify, but I believe he means a product that does make sense to the public and would be competitive plus being right for the time (meaning being in harmony with the market to use his wording - give me a few days to go back to look up the information).

Let me add that for certain products, a spin or twist is needed to successfully market it. One of my favorites are earrings with little bells attached to them. The original marketer couldn't succeed with them. Joseph Cossman took them over, renamed them "Mother-In-Law earrings" and told newlyweds they'd make the perfect gift for mother-in-laws (as an early warning detection system for the newlyweds - you can look it up on the internet). - by Wonderboy
Joe Sugarman's 'buying triggers' is excellent.

Susan - by susana
Joe Sugarman's 'buying triggers' is excellent.

Susan
Joe Sugarman is a high roller in marketing. He takes unusual risks (especially towards the beginning of his career) but he learns from his mistakes. So while he ventures, because he has the experience and reputation, he can limit his losses and use his knowledge to gain.

What I like is he breaks a number of rules sensibly. For example it's been recommended by John Caples that it's better to show a product in use than to just simply show the product. Joe Sugarman explained with a new exercise device, the opposite is true because the public wasn't familiar with understanding how the new device in action would benefit them and a static picture with callouts explaining the features of the device was necessary to educate the public (I think Joe explains this in his marketing book).

I'm happy there's someone else on this website who knows what I'm talking about. Thanks Susana - by Wonderboy
I'm happy there's someone else on this website who knows what I'm talking about. Thanks Susana[/quote]

Too many people (and companies) think that sales and marketing are separate departments that meet (and talk) once a year at the annual meeting.

Getting sales and marketing on the same page will greatly enhance your sales results.

That's what I write about in Million Dollar Marketing Secrets.

Susan - by susana
Wonderboy - Love his work. I have only recently been introduced to it but I am a great fan.

Good post and I AGREEthmbp2; - by Snowboy
Agree or disagree? Why?
There is no success in Marketing because Marketing is just a plan. A Marketing Plan can do nothing until it is implemented through an advertising campaign. - by MPrince
There is no success in Marketing because Marketing is just a plan. A Marketing Plan can do nothing until it is implemented through an advertising campaign.
Very keen insight. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.