Home > Negotiation > Aspects of Negotiation - Time

Aspects of Negotiation - Time

The time constraint or restrictive deadline that affects at least one side.

Theoretically, this is what governs the length of the negotiation and therefore the deadline. However, always remember that a negotiation is not an event but an ongoing process that is usually only concluded just before one side’s deadline.
It is important to ascertain the other side’s deadline without giving away your own. Then, as their deadline approaches, their stress level will increase and they will make concessions.
- by Snowboy

The time constraint or restrictive deadline that affects at least one side.

Theoretically, this is what governs the length of the negotiation and therefore the deadline. However, always remember that a negotiation is not an event but an ongoing process that is usually only concluded just before one side’s deadline.
It is important to ascertain the other side’s deadline without giving away your own. Then, as their deadline approaches, their stress level will increase and they will make concessions.
Very well spoken, Short but straight to the point. (Thumbs Up) - by John Hughes
probably the best description of Negotiation I have ever read. - by EmmaC
It is important to ascertain the other side’s deadline without giving away your own.
What question would you ask to accomplish this? Maybe... "how soon are you wanting to...?" or "what is your time frame"? - by Mikey
What question would you ask to accomplish this? Maybe... "how soon are you wanting to...?" or "what is your time frame"?
I would have thought maybe something like when is your next sales day or campaign noticing that snowboy is in the advertising industry.

Although Mikey in regards to your 2 examples I would rather go with the "howsoon are wanting to..." as opposed to the other simple because I feel "what is your time frame" is to direct almost like you are ripping their heads off.

I like saying something that puts it on me like - "I might need a lettle to get that organised, are you in a rush for ....."
They will then generally give the information freely. - by EmmaC
I like saying something that puts it on me like - "I might need a lettle to get that organised, are you in a rush for ....." They will then generally give the information freely.
I like that. A little back door action. hpy3; - by Mikey
I like that. A little back door action. hpy3;
Yeah Kind of, the direct questions bring the sales barrier higher and higher where as you can in the back door with them not even knowing what hit them. - by EmmaC
Yeah Kind of, the direct questions bring the sales barrier higher and higher where as you can in the back door with them not even knowing what hit them.
Good point there - by Snowboy
Yeah Kind of, the direct questions bring the sales barrier higher and higher where as you can in the back door with them not even knowing what hit them.
Good idea. thmbp2; - by Mikey
Good idea. thmbp2;
Cheers for that - by EmmaC
I guess that by making sure you qualify your sales prospect correctly you won't need to worry about the bunp in the road such as - I am not ready to buy yet. - by SexSells
Good post Keith thmbp2; - by Ray47
Very well spoken, Short but straight to the point. (Thumbs Up)
THank you John for the comments. - by Snowboy
I guess that by making sure you qualify your sales prospect correctly you won't need to worry about the bunp in the road such as - I am not ready to buy yet.
That's right Victoria,
Thank you for your post.
Keith - by Snowboy
Good post Keith thmbp2;
Thanks Raymond - by Snowboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.