Home > Negotiation > Aspects of Negotiation - Information

Aspects of Negotiation - Information

As negotiation is usually an ongoing process, you have time to gather information on what the other party really wants. The ease of gathering this information depends on how early you start weeks or even months beforehand is far better than hours.

Information is gathered from anyone who works with or for the person(s) you will face during the negotiation. Dont forget past employees, their customers and competitors. Also be aware that the information gathering process does not stop once the formal negotiation begins it just gets a little faster. Practice effective listening techniques and watch for cues throughout the negotiation process. There are three types of cues to look for:

a) unintentional; the transmission of an unintentional message by verbal or physical cues,

b) verbal; where voice tone or emphasis is not consistent with the words being spoken,

c) behavioural; body language which tells the truth when words dont necessarily do so.
- by Snowboy
Good post. I don't know if I agree with the body language side of things?

Could you elaborate on this one. - by dodobird
William - Sure - The body language speaks so clearly when you know how to read it. For a simple example - If you were talking to a prospect and he was looking at the TV or somethig other then you eyes and had his arms crossed would you get the same feeling as though you were talking to someone looking at you and asking questions about you or your product?

Cheers - by Snowboy
Interesting Subject Keith - Do you think some people aren't to sure when they are in a Negotiation? - by Jabber
Interesting Subject Keith - Do you think some people aren't to sure when they are in a Negotiation?
Thanks Emma
I think that as teachers it is our role to instruct outhers to be able to get into the negotiation and have control of the outcome. One step to doing this is by knowing when you are in the negotiation. - by Snowboy
Some people can be given to much information this in turn will cloud the customers thinking ability and possibilty of turning them away from you and your information. - by John Hughes
Some people can be given to much information this in turn will cloud the customers thinking ability and possibilty of turning them away from you and your information.
John,
Good point. Obviously as a sales person you would want to be reserved in regards to the information that you give to the customer and make sure that it fits one of their Hot Buttons when giving over the information - For instance using the SPACED theory might be useful. - by Snowboy
I think to much can lead the client away - To little can lead them to buy elsewhere. - by SexSells
I think to much can lead the client away - To little can lead them to buy elsewhere.
Victoria,
Are you trying to say that there needs to be Happy medium in order to be effective in the negotiation for handing over information? - by Snowboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.