Home > Negotiation > "Win - Win" Rules - Know what and when to hold back

"Win - Win" Rules - Know what and when to hold back

It is a great temptation for some sales people to put all their cards on the table at once so the pitch sounds like a “Demtel” commercial where you not only get this, but also get this, and this, and we’ll even throw in this. Don’t be tempted, always hold something back for negotiating purposes and make sure that the thing held back is not necessarily the lowest value of what you are offering. Maybe you won’t have to offer it at all – and if you don’t have to use it, don’t throw it in anyway.
- by Snowboy
I agree with all of that - HOld back and only if needed the last resort is to give something else away. - by Jabber
Thanks Emma,
This way you have the chance to keep some gross in the deal and I found it worked for me greatly.

All the best. - by Snowboy
I think to many people get to excited when being hit with a proposal from the customer that they forget to keep something up their sleve.

Good post. - by John Hughes
I think to many people get to excited when being hit with a proposal from the customer that they forget to keep something up their sleve.

Good post.
People - You meanthe customers get excited???
People - You mean the Staff get excited??? - by Snowboy
i am the sucker that gives everything up straight away - by SexSells
I like it - Thanks for the heads up. - by Ray47
i am the sucker that gives everything up straight away
Victoria,
Again it is good that you realise - All the best with turning around from that - But if it is wroking for great - Could you maybe make more in the sale from holding back?

Cheers,
Keith - by Snowboy
I like it - Thanks for the heads up.
Raymond,
I am glad that you liked it - Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Keith - by Snowboy
Goodness me.

I'm lost for words... which doesn't happen very often.

I'll try and remain composed, and leave anyone reading this thread with the following:-

All is not what it may seem. What you may believe are sound concepts and accept as expert opinion may not apply or remotely approximate to negotiation best practice with regards to commercial negotiations. Furthermore, this is not normative knowledge. - by ThirdForceNegotiator
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.