Home > Interview > Communication - Ask Questions & Listen

Communication - Ask Questions & Listen

The objective of this would be to have the necessary skills to ask the appropriate questions and listen to the answers that will lead to a sale.

What does everyone think? - by Snowboy
The objective of this would be to have the necessary skills to ask the appropriate questions and listen to the answers that will lead to a sale.

What does everyone think?
I think good questioning and attentive listening creates an environment where the customer and the salesperson both benefit as the problems and solutions are identified and clarified. - by Jolly Roger
I think good questioning and attentive listening creates an environment where the customer and the salesperson both benefit as the problems and solutions are identified and clarified.
Thanks for your input Jolly Roger, in my opinion, questioning is one of the most important aspects of a sales person’s job and as such is something that needs constant improvement and practice.

If we were commodity selling we wouldn’t need to ask many questions at all – just tell the prospective client all about us and our product. But because we are building long-term relationships with our clients by providing solutions to their problems, the only way we can get there is by asking a lot of questions.

Questions also stops us from talking too much and tip the balance of the talking versus listening ratio in favour of listening – which is how we learn.

The type of questions we should ask will vary, depending on where we are in the sales process no matter what industry. Obviously the questions at the first contact will be quite different to the questions asked of a client we have had a relationship with for many years. However, there are still many questions to be asked at any stage of the relationship.
- by Snowboy
The type of questions we should ask will vary, depending on where we are in the sales process no matter what industry. Obviously the questions at the first contact will be quite different to the questions asked of a client we have had a relationship with for many years. However, there are still many questions to be asked at any stage of the relationship.
Spot on. BTW, what are your thoughts on SPIN questions (Neil Rackham) and Buying Facilitation questions (Sharon Drew Morgen)? - by Liberty
Neil Rackhams SPIN Questions are great to get more out of the customer.

I am a big fan of Sharon Morgen and use alot of her work in my training of staff. - by Snowboy
Neil Rackhams SPIN Questions are great to get more out of the customer.

I am a big fan of Sharon Morgen and use alot of her work in my training of staff.
The two programs are different but each fantastic in their own right. thmbp2; - by Liberty
The two programs are different but each fantastic in their own right. thmbp2;
I agree when you say "in their own right".

I find that the SPIN thoery won't work in all sales industries and should be used with caution depending on the demographic of the buyer.msnwnk; - by Snowboy
I agree when you say "in their own right".

I find that the SPIN thoery won't work in all sales industries and should be used with caution depending on the demographic of the buyer.msnwnk;
SPIN is definately geared for the larger sale is that what you mean? - by Liberty
SPIN is definately geared for the larger sale is that what you mean?
Yes - Sorry I should have ellaborated - by Snowboy
Yes - Sorry I should have ellaborated
I thought that was what you meant. Just checking. ;sm - by Liberty

What does everyone think?
Yeah - you got my vote. - by Ray47
I like the SPIN theory - but definately would only be useful with the larger clients. - by SexSells
Yeah - you got my vote.
Thank you Raymond - by Snowboy
I like the SPIN theory - but definately would only be useful with the larger clients.
Cheers for your comments Victoria. - by Snowboy
Cheers for your comments Victoria.
Not a problem Snowboy - by SexSells
Sounds - Good. But it sounds like something that may take a bit of effort. The rewards I feel would be great.

Good post thmbp2; - by Auctioneer
Sounds - Good. But it sounds like something that may take a bit of effort. The rewards I feel would be great.

Good post thmbp2;
Thanks for your input Auctioneer - by Snowboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.