Home > Personal Development > Successfull Selling - Top 10 traits!

Successfull Selling - Top 10 traits!

Hi All,

As a discussion point, what would YOU consider as the most important top 10 traits of a successful seller? Answers may vary based upon the differing types of industry we all sell in, but what are the most important top 10 qualities? :cool:

Lets say you ran your own sales team and were looking for a new sales person - what would you look for in them??

The answers should provide an excellent blueprint for us all to adhere to!!

I'll start the list:

1) Communications Skills - Ability to listen and empathise
2) Opportunity Spotting - being able to spot those golden sales opps when they appear
3) Ability to close the sale - along with opening the relationship....

Tony D - from Sales Journey - by Tonyd
I'd add "solution oriented" but it's pretty close to your "opportunity spotting".

How about "sociable"? - by AZBroker
OK. How about absolute determinatin (and thick skin).

Personally, my tough exterior is a direct result of 17 years of boot camp (known more affectionately to some...as marriage!) :rolleyes: - by RainMaker
Let's say you ran your own sales team and were looking for a new sales person - what would you look for in them??
I would put first on the list a commitment to a sales career. That is much more rare than is commonly realized. A huge percentage of people in sales are working with the mindset that they are just "passing through" on their way to something better. Under such circumstances, focus on the tasks at hand is virtually non existent.

Listening skills would probably be second. - by Gary Boye
I'd add "Questioning Skills". :) - by Gilbert
I'd also like to add "networking skills" to the list - by ginoayn
I'd throw in integrity. Poeple who do what they say they're going to do when they say they will do it are getting harder to find. - by Cyberstar
Poeple who do what they say they're going to do when they say they will do it are getting harder to find.
I'll second that. ;bg - by Jolly Roger
Yes... integrity, honesty. Very important if you want to keep
the customer's attention long enough to make a sale. Nothing
turns me away more than finding out something I was told was
simply not true. (See my recent car purchase story in another
thread!) ;bg - by destiny
1) Communications Skills - Ability to listen and empathise
I've read many threads here today about listening skills. Are listening skills being taught more often or is it just this website? - by Marcus
I've read many threads here today about listening skills. Are listening skills being taught more often or is it just this website?
I would say that listening skills are rarely taught by sales trainers, sales texts, or in company training programs. But listening skills are often mentioned. - by Gary Boye
I would say that listening skills are rarely taught by sales trainers, sales texts, or in company training programs. But listening skills are often mentioned.
Is there somewhere I can read about all of the different listening skills? What are the different listening skills? - by Marcus
Is there somewhere I can read about all of the different listening skills? What are the different listening skills?
Are you inferring that you want to learn listening skills?

Listening is not complex. Most people listen reactively. In perhaps overly simple terms, that means while the other person is communicating, they are focused on what they themselves will say next, rather than being focused on understanding what is being said.

Highly skilled and effective listeners, on the other hand, are creative listeners. They use their minds in a focused attempt to obtain the meaning from the other person's words.

That is not hard to learn. And you don't need a book to tell you how to do it. You are born with that ability. It is only a matter of you deciding to do it. - by Gary Boye
Are you inferring that you want to learn listening skills?

Listening is not complex. Most people listen reactively. In perhaps overly simple terms, that means while the other person is communicating, they are focused on what they themselves will say next, rather than being focused on understanding what is being said.

Highly skilled and effective listeners, on the other hand, are creative listeners. They use their minds in a focused attempt to obtain the meaning from the other person's words.

That is not hard to learn. And you don't need a book to tell you how to do it. You are born with that ability. It is only a matter of you deciding to do it.
I didn't think I was inferring anything. :dun I was just asking what the different listening skills were and where I could read more about them. - by Marcus
Marcus don't let Gary's over simplification throw you off track. Effective listening is a skill that most never master. ;wi

So what can you do?

• Give the conversation your full attention. Stay focused. Don't allow yourself to be distracted.
  • Take an interest in what is being said.
  • Don't jump to conclusions. Let the other person finish what they are saying.
  • Look for and observe non-verbal communication.
  • Don't get hung up on delivery including semantics. This is a cause of internal dialogue which can be a distraction.
  • Listen with an open mind (detached) otherwise your likely to hear what you want to hear.
  • Be an active participant. Look for the message the speaker is trying to convey.
These are just a few of the ideas that make their way into sales training. I think your ahead of the pack by wanting to learn how to listen. ;co - by Agent Smith
In regards to listening, I would add one point. Don't assume you know your pospect's agenda. Only asking good questions and listening to their replies will you know what's on their mind.

I think one of the most important traits for sales people to have is perseverance.

Susan - by susana
Thank you for the ideas Agent Smith and Susana. - by Marcus
Final element of the list,find a wife who doesnt shout when you get home at 11pm,covered in dog hair from your customers settee with a sensuos warm sticky new proposal lurking in your briefcase.

UK Paul - by UK Paul
What about............

1 Being a friend to your clients,everyone does business with a friend.
2 Be the SOLUTION to your cklients worries and needs,identify problems and become the answer.
3 Be fun [but professional] theres nothing worse than sitting opposite a boring salesperson.
4 Be honest even if it means losing the sale,YOU will feel better long term and YOu will be respected by them.
5 Enjoy what you sell. - by UK Paul
the one thing not mentioned, but parts of it had been brought up...attitude. to me that is the one thing i look for. Attitude will set the goals, it will set the tone with the guest, it will be the drive to make one great. from what i can tell everyone on this site has the positive what it takes attitude, otherwise you wouldn't be here trying to better yourselves, or even moreso bettering the others in the community.

#1 trait attitude.

i agree everything mentioned thus far is true and excellent rounding out a top ten perfectly. it just starts with attitude.

attitude=drive to learn
to be the best
to lead
be positive - by zen_gar
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.