Home > Consumer Behavior > Buyers are Liars

Buyers are Liars

What does "Buyers are Liars" mean to you? - by Houston
To me it means that for hundreds of years, the sales profession as a whole has groomed buyers to be weary of us. Yup, we're to blame.

Dysfunctional selling practices have bred dysfunctional buying practices. Now we're so disconnected that purchasing agents have jobs and "any communication with anyone other than the contact listed in this RFP is prohibited and will result in rejection of your proposal".

Our jobs are harder than they might be otherwise, but if that wasn't the case everyone would be in sales :)

I think it also means that salespeople are a little optimistic when they imagine the remainder of the sales process.

Oh, and that they were afraid to ask questions. I don't think buyers lie as much as they let salespeople believe what they want to believe.

Justyn - by Justyn
Dysfunctional selling practices have bred dysfunctional buying practices.
Oh, and that they were afraid to ask questions. I don't think buyers lie as much as they let salespeople believe what they want to believe.
I share similar points of view. :thup - by Houston
What does "Buyers are Liars" mean to you?

Everybody has a buying style....as sales people it is our job to understand the buyers style....including liars! - by Allan Johnson
Buyers are liars means, to me, that Buyers are going to do what it takes to protect their own interest even if that means lying to the salesperson. Buyers aren't always liars but their actions are suspect. - by Calvin
My first sales job, at the age of 20, was with a major manufacturer of forklift trucks. Our district office had a compulsory sales meeting every Friday afternoon. The only one who did not have to attend was Bob Jordan, who was one of the top salespeople in the entire industry.

One Friday, Jordan was in the office doing some work at his desk while the sales meeting was going on. One of the older salespeople remarked to the group, “All buyers are liars.” Everyone else seemed to agree.

Jordan walked over to the meeting and said, “Correction: Most buyers only lie to liars.” Then, he went back to his desk.

A few of the other sales people followed him back to his desk and wanted him to explain what he meant. His reply was “I’m too busy. Figure it out for your selves.”

It took me several years to realize how right he was.
- by JacquesWerth
[/quote]
My first sales job, at the age of 20, was with a major manufacturer of forklift trucks. Our district office had a compulsory sales meeting every Friday afternoon. The only one who did not have to attend was Bob Jordan, who was one of the top salespeople in the entire industry.

One Friday, Jordan was in the office doing some work at his desk while the sales meeting was going on. One of the older salespeople remarked to the group, “All buyers are liars.” Everyone else seemed to agree.

Jordan walked over to the meeting and said, “Correction: Most buyers only lie to liars.” Then, he went back to his desk.

A few of the other sales people followed him back to his desk and wanted him to explain what he meant. His reply was “I’m too busy. Figure it out for your selves.”

What did he mean Jacques?
- by Seth
I believe that Bob Jordan did us a favor when he said, "Figure it out for your selves."

If he had given us the answer, most of us would have rejected it without further thought. When I finally understood, it stuck with me for the rest of my life. - by JacquesWerth
I believe that Bob Jordan did us a favor when he said, "Figure it out for your selves."

If he had given us the answer, most of us would have rejected it without further thought. When I finally understood, it stuck with me for the rest of my life.
The closest answer I can come up with is that the more people trust you the more open and honest they will be with you. - by Seth

Great experience Jacques - Thanks for sharing. - by Snowboy
Jordan walked over to the meeting and said, "Correction: Most buyers only lie to liars." Then, he went back to his desk.
I think what Jordan meant was buyers only lie to salespeople they don't trust. - by Marcus
I think what Jordan meant was buyers only lie to salespeople they don't trust.
THAT'S A WINNER! - by JacquesWerth
I think what Jordan meant was buyers only lie to salespeople they don't trust.
Good on you Marcus - by Snowboy
THAT'S A WINNER!
Awesome! thmbp2; - by Marcus
"Lying" is used rather casually in the sales industry. For those who look for it will normally find it. There is lying and then there is LYING. - by Wonderboy
"Lying" is used rather casually in the sales industry. For those who look for it will normally find it. There is lying and then there is LYING.
What is the difference? - by Houston
What is the difference?
I thought you would know this one Houston. People lie by mistake while others do it on purpose. Fortunately the latter is far fewer. - by Wonderboy
I thought you would know this one Houston. People lie by mistake while others do it on purpose. Fortunately the latter is far fewer.
We asked over 1,000 salespeople "What would you do, how far down the ethics ladder would you go, to make a sale?"

Ninety-seven percent (97%) said they would either do "Anything" or "What Ever It Takes." - by JacquesWerth
We asked over 1,000 salespeople "What would you do, how far down the ethics ladder would you go, to make a sale?"

Ninety-seven percent (97%) said they would either do "Anything" or "What Ever It Takes."
Jacques W.,

I've heard or read a number of surveys concerning honesty.

If there are no catches to what you're reporting, then I would have left the sales field a long time ago and never returned. I'm doubtful about the high 97% figure and I'm sure others would like more information about that survey

I am concerned with the public-be-damned attitude in the sales field as it's directly responsible for the federal do-not-call list (check my postings for more information). Unfortunately the sales industry has yet to learn from its mistakes. - by Wonderboy
Jacques W.,

I've heard or read a number of surveys concerning honesty.

If there are no catches to what you're reporting, then I would have left the sales field a long time ago and never returned. I'm doubtful about the high 97% figure and I'm sure others would like more information about that survey.
There are no "catches" to the study that I reported above. If you don't want to believe it, that is your perogative.

If "others" want more information, they can speak for themselves. - by JacquesWerth
To me it means that for hundreds of years, the sales profession as a whole has groomed buyers to be weary of us. Yup, we're to blame.

Dysfunctional selling practices have bred dysfunctional buying practices. Now we're so disconnected that purchasing agents have jobs and "any communication with anyone other than the contact listed in this RFP is prohibited and will result in rejection of your proposal".

Our jobs are harder than they might be otherwise, but if that wasn't the case everyone would be in sales :)

I think it also means that salespeople are a little optimistic when they imagine the remainder of the sales process.

Justyn
Agreed, very well put. - by Ed McLean
I'm with you, Seth. - by Skip Anderson
What does "Buyers are Liars" mean to you?
People lie for two reasons, unwittingly and deliberately, with great emphasis on the former. - by Wonderboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.