Home > Closing > The Silent Pause Close

The Silent Pause Close

Although we work in many diffeent sales industries that may rely on a third party for a decision, learn to use silence to your advantage. Donít talk yourself out of the sale. If the client is thinking, let him, you may say something to make him change his mind. Keep eye contact and keep silent and the client will fill the silence gap with his answer.

What do you think?bgwnk; - by Snowboy
Although we work in many diffeent sales industries that may rely on a third party for a decision, learn to use silence to your advantage. Donít talk yourself out of the sale. If the client is thinking, let him, you may say something to make him change his mind. Keep eye contact and keep silent and the client will fill the silence gap with his answer.

What do you think?bgwnk;
Good advice. Don't rush in to fill the gap. - by Houston
I use this one frequently.

It's powerful.

Chuck - by Sales Pro 1000

What do you think?bgwnk;
Tom Hopkins and others wrote about this one. I agree. - by Wonderboy
I can't say I would use it very much. However I can see how it can be effective. I would have thought though that in a sales environment - it is far better off to have a mutual consent by the customer that they are purchasing. To me this silent pause seems like a bully into the sale as the customer wouldn't know what to say or do. Some people don't like saying no.

:dun - by Coffee
Coffee. Excellent insight.

My personal feeling is that at some point either the prospect or myself will have to make a decision to move forward or stop.

If I'm fully convinced that what I'm selling will benefit my customer then I need not be bashful about asking for the order.

I'm going to borrow a phrase that I picked up from Jacques Werth's book on High Probability Selling to illustrate. He suggests asking the question at the end of the offer, "is that something you want?" Incidentally, Jacques posts frequently in this forum.

There's where the silence comes in. It's then up to the prospect to cross that bridge, so it's safe to say there is no bullying involved.

Chuck - by Sales Pro 1000
Good advice. Don't rush in to fill the gap.
Thanks for your input Houston - I agree - by Snowboy
I use this one frequently.

It's powerful.

Chuck
Thanks for your input Sales Pro 1000,
Have you had good success with it? - by Snowboy
Tom Hopkins and others wrote about this one. I agree.
Thnaks for your input there Wonderboy - by Snowboy
I can't say I would use it very much. However I can see how it can be effective. I would have thought though that in a sales environment - it is far better off to have a mutual consent by the customer that they are purchasing. To me this silent pause seems like a bully into the sale as the customer wouldn't know what to say or do. Some people don't like saying no.

:dun
Wow - Thanks for the great insight here coffee,

Cheers - by Snowboy
Coffee. Excellent insight.

My personal feeling is that at some point either the prospect or myself will have to make a decision to move forward or stop.

If I'm fully convinced that what I'm selling will benefit my customer then I need not be bashful about asking for the order.

I'm going to borrow a phrase that I picked up from Jacques Werth's book on High Probability Selling to illustrate. He suggests asking the question at the end of the offer, "is that something you want?" Incidentally, Jacques posts frequently in this forum.

There's where the silence comes in. It's then up to the prospect to cross that bridge, so it's safe to say there is no bullying involved.

Chuck
Good for you to bring that one out Chuck,
Thanks - by Snowboy
I AGREE WITH YOU KEITH. BY STAYING SILENT YOU COME ACCROSS WITH A NEUTRAL STAND ON THINGS THAT MIGHT MEAN TO YOU A SALE OR IT MAY BE DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR INCOME IF YOU FIND THAT YOU SPEAK CRAP ALL OF THE TIME.

BY MAINTAINING THIS SILENCE YOU ARE LETTING THE CUSTOMER KNOW THAT YOU ARE EXPECTING A COMMENT FROM THEM BUT ALSO SHOWING ENOUGH CONCERN TO LET THEM THINK ABOUT THEIR DECISION. BY PUSHING AND PUSHING FOR THEM TO MAKE THEIR DECISION THEY SOMETIMES WALK BACWARDS RATHER THEN MOVE FORWARDS.

GOOD THREAD.thmbp2; - by Carten
Good point Keith - Keep them coming - by Jabber
I AGREE WITH YOU KEITH. BY STAYING SILENT YOU COME ACCROSS WITH A NEUTRAL STAND ON THINGS THAT MIGHT MEAN TO YOU A SALE OR IT MAY BE DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR INCOME IF YOU FIND THAT YOU SPEAK CRAP ALL OF THE TIME.

BY MAINTAINING THIS SILENCE YOU ARE LETTING THE CUSTOMER KNOW THAT YOU ARE EXPECTING A COMMENT FROM THEM BUT ALSO SHOWING ENOUGH CONCERN TO LET THEM THINK ABOUT THEIR DECISION. BY PUSHING AND PUSHING FOR THEM TO MAKE THEIR DECISION THEY SOMETIMES WALK BACWARDS RATHER THEN MOVE FORWARDS.

GOOD THREAD.thmbp2;
Great insight there Carten - Thank you very much for your input. - by Snowboy
Good point Keith - Keep them coming
Thanks emma - by Snowboy
I agree wholeheartedly. Many of the salespeople I work with are so obsessed with talking that they forget the power of silence. - by Skip Anderson
I agree wholeheartedly. Many of the salespeople I work with are so obsessed with talking that they forget the power of silence.
That is funny cuase it's true. Well said Skip - by Snowboy
I worked in a industry where we had chargebacks. I noticed that if I was quiet for a period of time and the customer ended up saying "Yes"..they later changed their minds and I would end up getting a chargeback. I like to talk to the client and help them through the decision. I don't want to force someone into something they aren't sure about. I think if I present the product right,they shouldn't take forever to think about it. They should be excited and ready to move forward. - by Faizalnisar
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.