Home > Resistance > An Objection?

An Objection?

Never think that objections are a bad thing. Objections are a very good thing for a salesperson as they are signposts to what has to be achieved to move you closer to a YES! While clients are still objecting, they are still in the game. The objections can be made for a number of reasons and in most cases these are very legitimate, rather than just excuses not to buy. In direct sales, what we are often asking is for the business owner to make a substantial investment in the future of their business.

Your thoughts?

What types of Objections do you get in your industry?

How do you over come them? - by Snowboy
The meaning of an objection is up to the person objecting. "I'm not interested" could mean anything from "get lost" to "I wouldn't but this one but I would take the one in Red". Generalizing objections will cause a salesperson nothing but grief because more times than not the salesperson is going to be wrong. If you want to be right, just ask, "What does that mean?" - by Houston
IMO - If you don't understand the objection you are facing you won't be able to get over it or around it or help the customer justify it out of their mind. - by Snowboy
IMO - If you don't understand the objection you are facing you won't be able to get over it or around it or help the customer justify it out of their mind.
I agree. ;wi - by Houston
What types of Objections do you get in your industry?

How do you over come them?
No matter how skillfully you handle it, overcoming an objection creates a subtle, but very real, adversarial relationship.

We get very few objections. Our sales process eliminates almost all of them.

When we do get one, we determine:
1. Is it real, or is it just a misunderstanding?
2. Is it is a deal-breaker, or not.
Either way, we quickly come to a mutual agreement with the prospect. - by JacquesWerth
No matter how skillfully you handle it, overcoming an objection creates a subtle, but very real, adversarial relationship.

We get very few objections. Our sales process eliminates almost all of them.

When we do get one, we determine:
1. Is it real, or is it just a misunderstanding?
2. Is it is a deal-breaker, or not.
Either way, we quickly come to a mutual agreement with the prospect.
Thanks for your comment Jacques. we have a very strict direction to steer our clients in order to avoid objections. however in saying that I feel that the objections are never not there and when they do appear I think it is better to know and be ready to overcome them then hope they don't appear.

I like your questions though - Is it real or just a misunderstanding. - by Snowboy
I agree with your coment there Snowboy.

For me I need to convince my clients they need to market their products in order to be effective. I guess I sell soutions to their problems while going through the sales process. - by EmmaC
We tell our agents there are two groups of sellers; those who will list with an agent and those who won't. The number of objections from the first group is relatively low. When attempting to convince the second group that they need the services of an agent the number of objections is relatively high. - by AZBroker
The 5 Ps in Objections
Product

I am not sure it will do what I want it to do.

Provider

I like my current provider.

Price

It is too much money.

Purpose

It is not a high priority.

Person

I do not like you.

I do not trust you.

You are not listening to me.

- by Salecanon

The price is too high.

Happy with my current service.

Not sure, it will do what I want it to do.

Not sure, it will do what you say it will do.

Just gathering information.

I do not need it.

I need time to think about it.

I need to talk it over with someone else.

I am not interested.

I do not know enough about your company.

- by Salecanon
I agree with your coment there Snowboy.

For me I need to convince my clients they need to market their products in order to be effective. I guess I sell soutions to their problems while going through the sales process.
Thanks for your comments EmmaC - by Snowboy
We tell our agents there are two groups of sellers; those who will list with an agent and those who won't. The number of objections from the first group is relatively low. When attempting to convince the second group that they need the services of an agent the number of objections is relatively high.
Very interesting - Thanks AZBroker - by Snowboy
The 5 Ps in Objections
Product

I am not sure it will do what I want it to do.

Provider

I like my current provider.

Price

It is too much money.

Purpose

It is not a high priority.

Person

I do not like you.

I do not trust you.

You are not listening to me.

Yeah that it pretty good. Did you come up with the P's or where did you get this from? - by Snowboy
I like it - Good comment Salecanon - by EmmaC
Most salespeople who have memorized, role-played, and practiced overcoming objections are big stars in sales meetings - until the other people find out how low their closing rates are.

Overcoming objections through persuasion and convincing arguments makes the prospect wrong and makes you right.

Overcoming objections creates adversarial relationships. Adversarial relationships results in low closing rates.

Eliminating objections is easier and produces much better closing rates. - by JacquesWerth
I see what you are saying Jacques. However I must say as I mentioned earlier, no matter how good you are or think you are you can't eliminate objections.

I find to many sales staff feel as though an objection is a bad thing however when used correctly it is actually a useful tool in getting closer to closing the sale.

I strongly disagree with the comment that the shiners in the sales meetings are not that great outside of the room. I myself do focus on effective ways to overcome objections and in doing so have helped many of my staff succeed in their roles, so I guess I am a shiner in meetings giving advice and my closing rate is the best in the company. - by Snowboy
I see what you are saying Jacques. However I must say as I mentioned earlier, no matter how good you are or think you are you can't eliminate objections.
How do you know that "you can't eliminate objections?"

Is it possible your belief that objections are good might bias your thinking or your willingness to give up that opinion? - by JacquesWerth
Hello Keith,
Good post and some interestoing findings.

The most common objections directly I face on a weekly basis are:

- The price is to high,
- I need it completed quicker
- Thanks for doing that but - I don't think we will be going with Internet?

What are your thoughts on combating these? - by Wowsap

Is it possible your belief that objections are good might bias your thinking or your willingness to give up that opinion?
Hello Jacques,
I don't have great abilities in Sales but I tend to agree that objections are something we all face - How do youthink you have come up with a strategy that you don't see objections? - by Wowsap

Is it possible your belief that objections are good might bias your thinking or your willingness to give up that opinion?
Jacques - You know I have never thought of it like that before.

Perhaps it is something that I should start to think about. How is it that you are saying objections dont' exist (is this what you are implying). What method do you use in order for objections not to come up.

My comment about objections being a good thing is implied that at least that way you have something to deal with when the cusotmer says for instance - "I can't purchase that until my managed funds come through" - I would reply by writing this down on a piece of paper in front of them to create a visual for the customer and ask if there was anything else standing in the way of them making there decision? If they replied with a no - To me that objection is a good one as I would then use the Boomerang technique to pose the question that if all they are waiting on is their managed fund money to come through (which is coming through) then the deal is done. Therefore by pointing this out to the customer they feel more at ease.

I think of it that I sell everyday - the customers I deal with maybe buy my product 4 time a year. I educate them and act as their consultant - Put my arm around and convince them they are doing theright thing. Therefore by them sharing with me their objection (concern) I can help them overcome it.

What do you think about this Jacques? Anyone? - by Snowboy
Hello Keith,
Good post and some interestoing findings.

The most common objections directly I face on a weekly basis are:

- The price is to high,
- I need it completed quicker
- Thanks for doing that but - I don't think we will be going with Internet?

What are your thoughts on combating these?
Thanks for you input - And how do you go about overcoming these? - by Snowboy
Well Said Snowboy - I can see were Jacques is coming from but I think the Objections will always be there. - by Jabber
Jacques - I would be interested in hearing your procedure in eliminating the objection before is there - What is it? - by Jabber
Jacques - You know I have never thought of it like that before.

Perhaps it is something that I should start to think about. How is it that you are saying objections dont' exist (is this what you are implying). What method do you use in order for objections not to come up.

My comment about objections being a good thing is implied that at least that way you have something to deal with when the cusotmer says for instance - "I can't purchase that until my managed funds come through" - I would reply by writing this down on a piece of paper in front of them to create a visual for the customer and ask if there was anything else standing in the way of them making there decision? If they replied with a no - To me that objection is a good one as I would then use the Boomerang technique to pose the question that if all they are waiting on is their managed fund money to come through (which is coming through) then the deal is done. Therefore by pointing this out to the customer they feel more at ease.

I think of it that I sell everyday - the customers I deal with maybe buy my product 4 time a year. I educate them and act as their consultant - Put my arm around and convince them they are doing theright thing. Therefore by them sharing with me their objection (concern) I can help them overcome it.
No, I am not saying that objections do not exist. I am saying that your sales process should neutralize the true negatives of your products and services. That will eliminate almost all objections.

The way to eliminate objections is to tell the prospect all of the detriments of each feature - along with the benefits - before the negatives occur to them. Not doing so shows two things. Most prospects are at least as smart as we are, and omitting the negatives is no longer a viable sales strategy.

First, you need to be certain that you are only spending your time with High Probability Prospects. That means prospects that need, want and can afford to buy your products and/or services - now.

So, in the example you gave above, you would not be there to meet with the prospect if he did not have the funds available to do business. However, you would keep prospecting him every three to four weeks until that occasional buy became imminent. Only then, would you set up the appointment.

Take notice of the kinds of objections that are posted to these forums and how some otherwise smart salespeople try to overcome them. Some objections are caused by flawed prospecting methods. Other objections are caused by flawed sales methods. Most salespeople recommend clever Rhetorical manipulations to overcome each objection. That creates an adversarial relationship, thus plenty of resistance to making the sale. - by JacquesWerth
Yeah thanks so much for your input on that particular case. I guess the way i ahd been taught to follow through with the sales process would be to not let the person walk even it be for 3 - 4 weeks while the funding was to come through but establish a sale based on the figures coming through. That way it eliminates the chance of the prospect going elswhere -

Thanks again for your comments. - by Snowboy
Jacques/Snowboy,
I am Gerry and I am from the Automotive Industry - I feel I am with Snowboy in saying that ever since I started I have been taught to love objections and the thrill of being able to turn them around is great - maybe that is just an automotive thing.

Jacques do you have any experience inthe Automotive industry? If so how did you never hit an objection?

Thansk Gerry - by Wanderer
My thoughts on this is that you need to face the objection before the customer brings it up. - by John Hughes
Jacques/Snowboy,
I am Gerry and I am from the Automotive Industry - I feel I am with Snowboy in saying that ever since I started I have been taught to love objections and the thrill of being able to turn them around is great - maybe that is just an automotive thing.

Jacques do you have any experience inthe Automotive industry? If so how did you never hit an objection?

Thansk Gerry
I owned a new car agency from 1968 to 1973. Back then, I didn't know any more about how to eliminate objections than you know now. Most car agencies and salespeople sell the same way now as they did fifty years ago.

My company is always looking for new sales concepts that are superior to what we already know. However, we do not accept or advocate any of them until we statistically validate their effectiveness.

That is why people who work so hard to defend the way they sell now amuse me. - by JacquesWerth
I owned a new car agency from 1968 to 1973. Back then, I didn't know any more about how to eliminate objections than you know now. Most car agencies and salespeople sell the same way now as they did fifty years ago.

My company is always looking for new sales concepts that are superior to what we already know. However, we do not accept or advocate any of them until we statistically validate their effectiveness.

That is why people who work so hard to defend the way they sell now amuse me.
So what do you do that is so different? - by SexSells
I feel as though the more you get the YES out of a customer then the more you get the customer to finalise the purchase - I DO NOT view objections as a bad thing.

That is not me making an excuse for the objections that I do get - and I agree - EVERYONE gets them. - by Ray47
So what do you do that is so different?
I have posted about 280 messages on these forums about what we do that is different. If you really want to know, read them. - by JacquesWerth
The amount of resistance you encounter is greatly reduced when you're working with a qualified prospect who trusts, respects and wants to buy from you. - by AZBroker
The amount of resistance you encounter is greatly reduced when you're working with a qualified prospect who trusts, respects and wants to buy from you.
Thanks for your input AZBroker - by Snowboy
For me I need to convince my clients they need to market their products in order to be effective. I guess I sell soutions to their problems while going through the sales process.
Suppose all of your prospects and clients already knew they need to market their products in order to be effective. What would that do for your closing rates?

That is the only type of prospect you should spend your time and resources on.

Most people respond with, "You don't know anything about my market. There are no prospects like that in my market."

And I respond, "There are plenty of prospects like that in almost every market if you know how to find them." - by JacquesWerth
How could you eliminate a product specific objection like "After seeing this widget in action I don't believe it will do what we need it to do"? - by Seth
How could you eliminate a product specific objection like "After seeing this widget in action I don't believe it will do what we need it to do"?
By finding out what they need a widget to do before you visit the prospect.

If you cannot meet a prospect's conditions of satisfaction, do not waste your time trying to sell them.

If your company is in business for a few years, they have already found some portion of the market that wants what they have to offer. That means there are plenty more. You need to learn how to find them.
- by JacquesWerth
By finding out what they need a widget to do before you visit the prospect.
The example I was thinking about was car sales. The point of test driving a car is get a feel for the car and to decide if it meets your requirements. If you test drive the car and it isn't as zippy as you want or as comfortable as you want those could end up being objections to buying. Zippy and comfortable are subjective which would make it difficult if not impossible for the salesperson to accurately gauge ahead of time. - by Seth
The example I was thinking about was car sales. The point of test driving a car is get a feel for the car and to decide if it meets your requirements. If you test drive the car and it isn't as zippy as you want or as comfortable as you want those could end up being objections to buying. Zippy and comfortable are subjective which would make it difficult if not impossible for the salesperson to accurately gauge ahead of time.
There are simple answers to that point as well. If you were open to them you could figure them out for yourself.

However, car sales is still in the dark ages of selling; very little of what works in other industries is effective in most car agencies. - by JacquesWerth
There are simple answers to that point as well. If you were open to them you could figure them out for yourself.

However, car sales is still in the dark ages of selling; very little of what works in other industries is effective in most car agencies.
Thanks for your feedback on this Jacques - by Snowboy
In my field, advertising, I usually make an appointment with a client first to qualify them for my paper. We call it a CNA (customer needs analysis). I ask questions like what are your goals for this quarter, next? What are your best sellers? What does your advertising budget look like? Who do you advertise with now? What do you like about them or dislike? Who is your major competitor? Questions like these help you prepare for possible objections and help you decide what, if anything to sell. I never try to a commitment on the first meeting. (I used to be a car salesmen, by all means get that commitment now)

However, when I do come across objections I use them as small closes. Try dealing with the objection, by saying something like this.
"So what your saying Mr. Customer is "If I were to get my product within your budget for a trial basis, so you can see how well company xyz brings in new revenue then you'll be ready to try our program today? (shakes head yes and waits) Usually, the next response "Well, I'd have to think about it." Ok great! Well, how about we get back together tommorrow for lunch so you can give me your answer, my treat. Just keep dealing with the objections as they come. Once, you remove them all you got a paycheck! - by staceylee
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.