Home > Marketing > A stupid question

A stupid question

I have seen the word "website" and the phrase "web site."

So, for some reason, I have used the word "website" for years on all my promotional materials, and suddenly I am realizing that the phrase "web site" is everywhere. Am I misspelling my own product :eek: or are both considered acceptable? - by RainMaker
I believe both are acceptable. - by Jackie
I believe both are acceptable.
PHEW! I really wanted somone to say that.:rolleyes: - by RainMaker
PHEW! I really wanted somone to say that.:rolleyes:
You're not the only one who was wondering. You're just the only one who asked. :) - by Mikey
You're not the only one who was wondering. You're just the only one who asked. :)
I have never known which is correct. It's always been a gray area. Or has it been a grey area? Anybody want to take a stab at that one? - by Gary Boye
I have never known which is correct. It's always been a gray area. Or has it been a grey area? Anybody want to take a stab at that one?
Thanks for realizing my dilemma (or did you realise it?) - by RainMaker
(or did you realise it?)
It's realize.

Boy--you can tell I'm getting old. 5:45 on Friday and I'm sitting here with RM correcting each other's spelling. Whatever happened to Happy Hour!? - by Gary Boye
It's realize.

Boy--you can tell I'm getting old. 5:45 on Friday and I'm sitting here with RM correcting each other's spelling. Whatever happened to Happy Hour!?
You mean to tell me this isn't making you happy? :eek: - by RainMaker
It's realize.

Boy--you can tell I'm getting old. 5:45 on Friday and I'm sitting here with RM correcting each other's spelling. Whatever happened to Happy Hour!?
Hey, I'm here at 10:00 p.m. on a Friday night. :eek: - by Bulldog
Hey, I'm here at 10:00 p.m. on a Friday night. :eek:
All dressed up and nowhere to go. :p

Gary and RainMaker, you're not alone. I too have wondered about that. I even looked it up on Google a few times. From what I've read you can use either. - by Jomsom
Warning: If there are any English teachers or grammar experts out there, please skip this post. :p

Maybe it's "Website" or "Web site" instead of "website" or "web site." :eek:

When I started my main site in 2002, which includes "Website" as part of the URL and site name, I tallied up the different variations used in the Web site marketing books out there at the time. I saw all variations, but settled on "Web site" because the author of one of my favorite books wrote it that way. Now, for search engine ranking reasons (sinced the SEs look at "Web site" and "Website" as different), I change between "Website" and "Web site" from page to page. - by Bobette Kyle
Now, for search engine ranking reasons (sinced the SEs look at "Web site" and "Website" as different), I change between "Website" and "Web site" from page to page.
Good point. - by RainMaker
All dressed up and nowhere to go. :p

Gary and RainMaker, you're not alone. I too have wondered about that. I even looked it up on Google a few times. From what I've read you can use either.
I think both are acceptable. there is no diffence in them .Maybe there is some diffence in some field.and what are you think? - by allen
I believe both are correct. As a writer let me explain: I use website as Web site (with a capital W and lower case S), and here's why. The way I use it (Web site) is the correct way if you're writing using the AP Style rules. AP Style also says to capitalize any words related to the Internet. (eg, Internet, World Wide Web, Web site, etc.).

So basically, I guess it just depends on how you write. And since I'm a freelance writer most of the publications I write for use AP Style, and because I'm use to writing with this style I write the word as Web site. - by mrs75
Look it up in the:The Chicago Manual of Style
The English language is constantly changing as far as what is acceptable and what is not. Many things are small and meaningless, but things that your professor will count off for. Whether it is web site-website, or USA-U.S.A., the tide is constantly turning. - by crassus
Potato, pototo; tomato, tomoto; website, web site...

--Scott - by Dixon Hill
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.