Home > Personal Selling > What made you personally get into sales?

What made you personally get into sales?

Hello All,
ONe quick question;
What made you personally get into sales? :dun - by John Hughes
a quick question but not a quick answer. I worked in the high tech industry for well over a decade. I believed if I worked harder I would get rewarded and I was, with promotions and pay increases, at first. Then because of mergers and outsorcing I was put into a position where no matter how hard I worked or how good of a job I did, I realized this was not going to be the case any longer. The company refused to pay its employees the bonuses it had promissed (because the industry,not the compay was doing bad) which was about 1/3 of my pay and put in a company wide pay freeze. I guess I should have been lucky I did not loose my job, like 30% of my coworkers. But then because our company had a record earning quarter the CEO got a 5 million dollar bonus. I know now that all companies are not like this but I was never going to be put in a position where I was not paid for work I performed. I know if I work hard at sales I will see the results in my paycheck as I am paid on commision, no longer a salary. I am not going to let me and my family get penalized again because I am working for an institution whose primary goal is to increase profits by decreasing employees pay. - by Jorel
The Challenge; the freedom and the and the profits thmbp2; - by bluenote
For me it is the rewards and recognition for doing well at what you are paid to do and exceeding expectations - both to your clients and yourself. - by Snowboy
I agree with Keith here - Definately Rewards and Recognition for me. The financial benefits are great but not the be all and end all. - by EmmaC
Yes - I will second that - by Gunner
Hello All,
ONe quick question;
What made you personally get into sales? :dun
John,
For me it was the thrill of chasing an outcome that you ahve the control of getting yourself.

What about yourself? - by Wanderer
The Challenge; the freedom and the and the profits thmbp2;
WEll said Bluenote. - by Wanderer
a quick question but not a quick answer. I worked in the high tech industry for well over a decade. I believed if I worked harder I would get rewarded and I was, with promotions and pay increases, at first. Then because of mergers and outsorcing I was put into a position where no matter how hard I worked or how good of a job I did, I realized this was not going to be the case any longer. The company refused to pay its employees the bonuses it had promissed (because the industry,not the compay was doing bad) which was about 1/3 of my pay and put in a company wide pay freeze. I guess I should have been lucky I did not loose my job, like 30% of my coworkers. But then because our company had a record earning quarter the CEO got a 5 million dollar bonus. I know now that all companies are not like this but I was never going to be put in a position where I was not paid for work I performed. I know if I work hard at sales I will see the results in my paycheck as I am paid on commision, no longer a salary. I am not going to let me and my family get penalized again because I am working for an institution whose primary goal is to increase profits by decreasing employees pay.
Nice stand Jorel.

Good on you. - by Wanderer
Good comments guys, great thoughts.

I myself say the money. - You create your own. - by Auctioneer
For me it is the constant change and productive industry - The sales field can be what youmake it.

I choose to make mine good - So I find it to be so. - by Indep Rep
All these answers are legimate and motivating. All good reasons to be in sales.

Personally, I got into sales as a young man 30+ years ago strictly for the opportunity to make an unlimited income. I wanted the money, I didn't care about my customers needs and wants. I played sports in high school and college and I approached my sales career as a 'game' and I formed 'game plans' to win as many sales games as I could...and it worked. I was a meticulous planner and worked hard to discover my competition's weaknesses, and formed my game plan to take advantage of these openings. I played the game with no mercy. I crushed my opponents and did everything I could to make sales for the money.

I was a ruthless, but successful, salesperson and always worked my way to top sales in my company. Then I would move to another company in another field for a new challenge and 'play the game' again. I was so competitive I would do whatever it took to win.

When I got older the 'game' changed for me. Thankfully, I changed. I began to shift my knowledge and talents from 'winning the game of sales' to 'respecting my opponent (competiton) and forming 'partnerships' with them so we could build each other's business. I respected my customers and used all my knowledge and skills to help them get the best product/service for them. I quit thinking about the money.

To my surprise, instead of playing to win a game to earn money, when I concentrating on making my competitor's and customer's lives easier or better with my products/services and advice, becoming their 'trusted advisor,' and making sure they were happy, my income increased substantially and my work became much easier and less stressful. My self-respect grew and my heart softened.

My point is, don't concentrate on making the sale to earn dollars. Concentrate all your knowledge and skills and use your heart to help others and the money will automatically flow to you. The more value you contribute to the world, the more money comes you way. The more good you do, the more money comes to you to do more good. Your reputation will grow and you will have all the sales business you could ever want.

It's not about YOU, it's about THEM...As a salesperson you have an opportunity to help many more people than most ever get the chance to do, and your rewards will be great.

Sales is the greatest profession on earth... - by Dougd55
Freedom of time, interest and income. thmbp2; - by Slick
All these answers are legimate and motivating. All good reasons to be in sales.

Personally, I got into sales as a young man 30+ years ago strictly for the opportunity to make an unlimited income. I wanted the money, I didn't care about my customers needs and wants. I played sports in high school and college and I approached my sales career as a 'game' and I formed 'game plans' to win as many sales games as I could...and it worked. I was a meticulous planner and worked hard to discover my competition's weaknesses, and formed my game plan to take advantage of these openings. I played the game with no mercy. I crushed my opponents and did everything I could to make sales for the money.

I was a ruthless, but successful, salesperson and always worked my way to top sales in my company. Then I would move to another company in another field for a new challenge and 'play the game' again. I was so competitive I would do whatever it took to win.

When I got older the 'game' changed for me. Thankfully, I changed. I began to shift my knowledge and talents from 'winning the game of sales' to 'respecting my opponent (competiton) and forming 'partnerships' with them so we could build each other's business. I respected my customers and used all my knowledge and skills to help them get the best product/service for them. I quit thinking about the money.

To my surprise, instead of playing to win a game to earn money, when I concentrating on making my competitor's and customer's lives easier or better with my products/services and advice, becoming their 'trusted advisor,' and making sure they were happy, my income increased substantially and my work became much easier and less stressful. My self-respect grew and my heart softened.

My point is, don't concentrate on making the sale to earn dollars. Concentrate all your knowledge and skills and use your heart to help others and the money will automatically flow to you. The more value you contribute to the world, the more money comes you way. The more good you do, the more money comes to you to do more good. Your reputation will grow and you will have all the sales business you could ever want.

It's not about YOU, it's about THEM...As a salesperson you have an opportunity to help many more people than most ever get the chance to do, and your rewards will be great.

Sales is the greatest profession on earth...
Well said again Coach Doug. - by Snowboy
Honestly - at first - I saw the guy I went onto marry and wanted to get to know him - put in an application and did. - by Geekust
That is very funny - did you adapt to liking Sales toward the end (now)? - by Snowboy
I moved to a foreign country where no one would give me a job. The one job I was accepted in was sales (yes, I was snobby back then and didn't think much of being a sales person). I LOVE it now! sn; Strange how things work out.

Hello All,
ONe quick question;
- by Ed McLean
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.