Home > Advertising > Manipulation and Television Commercials

Manipulation and Television Commercials

Manipulation is a hot topic in personal selling circles but Advertising has to be one of the biggest offenders around... or not. What is your opinion. Is advertising manipulative? - by Seth
Seth - Can you confirm what you are meaning by saying advertising is the biggest offender??:dun

Cheers
Keith - by Snowboy
Seth - Can you confirm what you are meaning by saying advertising is the biggest offender??:dun
When I wrote this I was thinking about television commercials specifically those on the big networks. Can a moderator change the title please? - by Seth
Seth,
I say No. Where do you get your answer from?

Cheers
Gunner - by Gunner
When I wrote this I was thinking about television commercials specifically those on the big networks.
Break down some of the most effective television commercials and you can count on finding elements of persuasion - scarcity, authority, social proof, liking - built in. Now is that manipulation? Probably. - by Jolly Roger
Break down some of the most effective television commercials and you can count on finding elements of persuasion - scarcity, authority, social proof, liking - built in. Now is that manipulation? Probably.
In my opinion many advertisers include beautiful and scantily clad models in commercials as a method of influencing the viewer. - by Calvin
Break down some of the most effective television commercials and you can count on finding elements of persuasion - scarcity, authority, social proof, liking - built in. Now is that manipulation? Probably.
I agree Jolly Roger - by Snowboy
In my opinion many advertisers include beautiful and scantily clad models in commercials as a method of influencing the viewer.
I agree with you Calvin - however I think definately influence but not munipulation.

Your thoughts? - by Snowboy
Manipulation is a hot topic in personal selling circles but Advertising has to be one of the biggest offenders around... or not. What is your opinion. Is advertising manipulative?
Advertising can be manipulative depending on the intent of the advertiser. Did anyone see the Derren Brown special on tv where he manipulated the two Saatchi & Saatchi ad executives? - by Houston
I think no. Advertising is a form of a Call to action in order to inspire the customer to act on what they are already considering - HOw is this munipulative??:dun - by Coffee
I think no. Advertising is a form of a Call to action in order to inspire the customer to act on what they are already considering - HOw is this munipulative??:dun
One example would be the use of "association" in advertising. Many advertisers understand how "association" influences people and use it to their advantage. - by Houston
Advertising can be used for educating the public, especially if a product or service is new. During the introductory phase, advertising is a necessity.

Rita - by Rita_Jo
Is Advertising manipulation? If it's any good, it is....LOL just kidding. Well, I'm just a little serious. Manipulation is a strong negative sounding word that strikes people the wrong way, but it may not be as it sounds.

Merriam-Webster Definition: Manipulation

a : to manage or utilize skillfully b : to control or play upon by artful, unfair, or insidious means especially to one's own advantage

If meaning a applies then I think manipulation is just handling business. So I say Yes! Televison advertising is manipulation and rightfully so. - by staceylee
Of course it is. ;bg Advertising isn't just about offering my products as a solution to your problem. It's increasingly about inventing and stimulating 'needs' and fostering the illusion that my product will satisfy those 'needs'.

Advertising appeals directly to the consumer's self-image, self-esteem and feelings - with the aim of influencing buying choices. It seems to me that the process exerts most control on those people who are least aware of it. That makes it inherently manipulative.

Whaddya think? - by Sam Deeks
Manipulation is a hot topic in personal selling circles but Advertising has to be one of the biggest offenders around... or not. What is your opinion. Is advertising manipulative?
Seth

I don't know how old you are but I'm sure you have at some point seen the commercial of and egg being dropped into a hot pan and the egg starts to sizzle. The voice over says this is your brain and when the egg drops in the pan and starts to sizzle the voice says this is your brain on drugs. Did you know that one commercial was responsible for getting over 5,000,000 people off cocaine in the mid 1980's? I don't quite know what to make of your question, Manipulation and Television Commercials. Have you thought about what would happen to the business world without television advertising? Are you suggesting we are all so weak minded that we run out and by something just because we saw a television commercial?

MP - by MPrince
When I wrote this I was thinking about television commercials specifically those on the big networks. Can a moderator change the title please?
What do you want it changed to Seth - sure Jeff would oblige. - by Gold Calling
What do you want it changed to Seth - sure Jeff would oblige.
Naw, just keep it what it is. thmbp2; - by Seth
Advertising can be used for educating the public, especially if a product or service is new. During the introductory phase, advertising is a necessity.

Rita
That's right... as with many things... some do offend others don't. Some are really good ads and some are really bad... some sell and others don't.

Can't make generalizations and can't lump them all together.

By manipulation one often thinks of sleazy and ill intended. Meaning they are out to scam you. Not everyone is like this. Some do want to influence. But I'm sure there are some very unscrupulous advertisers out there.

As a rule though I don't watch TV anymore because it is riddled with "empty calories". It's either fluff and adds no value or it ends up hooking someone in very unhealthy activities. JMO. - by Andrea
As a rule though I don't watch TV anymore because it is riddled with "empty calories". It's either fluff and adds no value or it ends up hooking someone in very unhealthy activities. JMO.
That's not a bad idea. thmbp2; - by Seth
This thread appears to have ran its course. I am going to close it down. - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.