Home > Advertising > Sex Sells

Sex Sells

We live in a world where promiscuity is rampant.

Advertising and media have several different options in which to brand or call to action their business. The best and most effective way of seling or advertsing your business is through using sexual related images or footage.

I am a writer in a fashion and broadcasting magazine. I would like to get some input for the reality of my comment. Please answer the poll and leave me a Message if you wish.

Thanks
Victoria. - by SexSells
Of course it does,
No one can say that they look away when there is a bikina babe on the TV screen promoting a new telecommunications network. No matter how mundane the product might seem it is the Sex in the Advertsing that works. - by Gunner
The best and most effective way of seling or advertsing your business is through using sexual related images or footage.
What are your thoughts on why this is so effective Victoria? - by AZBroker
It is definitely an attention grabber. I believe to simply say sex sells is a little too general. If Disney took the motto that sex sells would they be successful?? - by benjamin-benjamin
We're surrounded by advertisements that desperately compete for our attention. Everywhere we look, we find ourselves inevitably drawn to images of scantily clad attractive men and women that are supposed to somehow inspire us to purchase products they endorse. Sure, this attention-getting strategy is popular. But, is it effective?

Sex appeal can increase the effectiveness of an ad or commercial because it attracts the customer’s attention. It’s human nature to be curious about sex. A pair of long legs on a billboard is more likely to catch (and hold) a guy’s attention than a puppy, regardless of how cute it may be. Even women are drawn to them, perhaps with the desire of having goddess-like legs.

However, misuse of sex appeal can be costly. Many campaigns deemed offensive have started brand boycotts that affect sales and damage brand reputation. There is several cases where a particular brand or company has had a backlash of the misuse of Sex during a Selling campaign.

Sex in advertising has stirred controversy for many years, an advertiser must be careful when incorporating it in a campaign. Great advertisers consider not only the attention-getting power of an advertisement or commercial, but also what kind of emotional response it provokes in customers. Studies show that the attractiveness of the endorsing model provokes positive responses. Nudity and graphic erotic content, while still increasing consumer’s attention, doesn’t really generate positive feelings among viewers. In other words, advertisers must be careful to avoid the “cheap shot,” which may negatively affect a brand’s image.

To avoid that, the sexual content in advertising must be appropriate to the product category and have a proper underlying message.

Sex sells, yes, but only when used “in good taste.” As marketers we must think not only in getting customers’ attention for the short term, but also in building a brand reputation that will yield long-term results.

Happy Advertising - by Snowboy
Victoria,
My vote is yes. But only used with caution.

What do you think about that? - by John Hughes
I say yes - But I agree with AZBroker - What lead you Victoria to that conclusion? - by dodobird
I say hell yeah - It grabs the attention of the onlooker. Although I must say there are times where an add using sexually related material and I don't really know what they were advertising afterward? - Does anyone else get that? - by EmmaC
I say hell yeah,
Without a doubt. I have several brochures and in them I use slim busty models and I get the results for my demographic. - by Coffee
The short answer is "yes." But, as with all marketing, it's slightly more complicated than that. When harnessing the power of sex appeal you should take into account the target demographic.

If you're selling to teenage boys the approach will be more, well, obvious. Sex is used in a subtle way when you're trying to appeal to middle-aged women. The Fabio, "I can't believe it's not butter" ads come to mind where the pulp romance icon simply smiles at the camera with a gleam in his eye - no oiled pecs, no skimpy thongs.

Likewise, Mercury chose an excellent spokesperson for their latest flight of commercials aimed at middle-aged men. The attractive, vivacious young brunette who struts around proclaiming "You've got to put Mercury on your list!" has every guy I know glued to the screen. And, because she is tastefully dressed and exudes confidence, she also appeals to women.

In other words, unless you market is strictly hormone-crazed pubescent males, a little bit of sex goes a long way. - by DesignGuy
Yes, I can tell you sex definitely sells.

Skip Anderson
The Sexiest Sales Trainer

just kidding... - by Skip Anderson
sex selles ... and so does gender based advertising ... for almost all products and services ... - by real.estate.healer
We live in a world where promiscuity is rampant.

Advertising and media have several different options in which to brand or call to action their business. The best and most effective way of seling or advertsing your business is through using sexual related images or footage.

I am a writer in a fashion and broadcasting magazine. I would like to get some input for the reality of my comment. Please answer the poll and leave me a Message if you wish.

Thanks
Victoria.
Yes, sex sells, but so do other marketing techniques. Using sex to draw attention to your product is taking the easy way out - unless of course your product is sexually related. Real marketing creativity requires thinking outside of the box. Using sex to sell a product doesn't require any creativity at all.

Dale King - by Dale King
Let me ask you a question...if you were about to spend thousands of your hard earned dollars on a service or a product...who would you trust with those dollars? Would you choose a buxom blond who knew little about what you were about to invest in; or would you choose a middle aged knowledgeable sales person who knew what they were doing with your money. Does sex sell then? - by MPrince
Sex sells as it is the most basic law of attraction. However this doles not mean that vulgarity and obscenity sells... these can be disgusting and destroy the image of companies. - by alexhar
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.