Home > Social Influence > Buy Now! Influencing perceived value and urgency

Buy Now! Influencing perceived value and urgency

Two reasons I know of why people don't 'buy now' are the perceptions of low value and low urgency.

I've heard a few frustrated salespeople say that their prospects wouldn't know a good deal if it slapped them on the butt and they might be right. I think if you leave value and urgency up to the client's default perception you might not be doing as much as you could.

Your thoughts? - by Marcus
Two reasons I know of why people don't 'buy now' are the perceptions of low value and low urgency.
I agree that value and urgency are decision factors. Don't leave these issues a mystery. Ask questions and find out your prospects perception so you can address them during the sales call. - by Houston
I'm convinced there has to be a reason for someone to take action now, otherwise it's all just pleasant conversation.

The old "bait and hook" philosophy still works in sales.

Chuck - by Sales Pro 1000
I'm convinced there has to be a reason for someone to take action now, otherwise it's all just pleasant conversation.

The old "bait and hook" philosophy still works in sales.

Chuck
What is bait and hook Chuck? - by Marcus
My success has come from people who right now want something. It's also comes from those who right now didn't so I got back with them later because things sometimes change. In between right now right now and later right now, I quit attempting to alter perceptions or uncover needs and wants by helping people learn value and feel urgency.

The value of a toilet is most recognized when there's immediate urgency to use it. I call my selling technique: the OutHouse Technique.

The best of the best to everyone.

MitchM - by MitchM

I've heard a few frustrated salespeople say that their prospects wouldn't know a good deal if it slapped them on the butt and they might be right. I think if you leave value and urgency up to the client's default perception you might not be doing as much as you could.

Your thoughts?
Good topic, Marcus. Here's my opinion, for what it's worth:

If there's a perception of low value, I don't think prospects will "buy now" and I don't think they'll buy ever.

I don't believe a salesperson can create urgency. Old models of selling aren't as effective as they once were because prospects are so cautious and mistrusting of salespeople ("if you buy today, I can sell it for $______).

What does help, though, in dealing with the "urgency" issue is good salesmanship. I train a lot of salespeople who sell in the prospect's home. I train them to ask their prospect up front when they would like to get the product or service installed. If the prospect says something like "as soon as possible", then the entire time the salesperson is with the prospect, the salesperson is reinforcing and trial closing on that time frame. If a prospect says, "we're not sure", I train the salesperson to say, "what are the factors that makes you not sure?", so they can talk about it UP FRONT before the needs and desires investigation begins or a presentation occurs or a price is given to the prospect.

The best to you! - by Skip Anderson
Spot on. thmbp2;

I think if you leave value and urgency up to the client's default perception you might not be doing as much as you could.
I think it would be safe to say that many people have lost out on good deals because they didn't recognize the value of the deal they were being presented with. They hadn't done their homework.

I think it would also be safe to say that many people have lost out on good deals because they didn't recognize the urgency (Scarcity: time, numbers) of the offer and acted too late. - by Jolly Roger
My success has come from people who right now want something. It's also comes from those who right now didn't so I got back with them later because things sometimes change. In between right now right now and later right now, I quit attempting to alter perceptions or uncover needs and wants by helping people learn value and feel urgency.

The value of a toilet is most recognized when there's immediate urgency to use it. I call my selling technique: the OutHouse Technique.
Finding people who want to purchase what you're offering is what I call Prospecting not Selling. What part of your 'selling technique' is selling? - by Jolly Roger
I don't think in any sophisticated or learned terms or techniques or strategies - my experience is one of the amateure who's self taught and done well, Jolly Roger.

I call you and tell you what I have and ask it's what you're looking for and you say it might be and I ask you to tell me a little more and you do and I say this is what I've got that will address your need and you either say YES or NO - sometime a little more info is exchanged.

Early on I'll ask what you need to know and with that info what you're going to do if it answers your questions and if the answer is BUY we continue -if the answer is vague or maybe this or that I don't spend much time.

I'm the first to admit I'm crude at what I do and still learning but I also know I do what I do well and have a good business because of it, Jolly.

Prospecting, marketing, selling - I know there are conventional distinctions and I make them but it all gets rolled up together.

What I was saying is that I spend little time uncovering needs or looking for that painful spot or needy spot I can dig into if the other person is vague and not paying attention - in other words I don't do a lot to get their attention if they don't give it to me immediately.

Again, this is an amateur speaking and not a savvy sales/marketing pro with extensive background or schooling.

MitchM - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.