Home > Approach > Forgetting names

Forgetting names

I was with prospects today and I forgot their names. :o

What do "you" do in that situtation?

What do "you" do to remember names? - by Franklin
I'm listening closely...My 6-yr old son was invited over to a new friend's house to swim today. I've met this mother 3 times. She remembered my name (or else looked it up in the school directory) and of course, I could not remember her name.

There is nothing more pathetic than someone who is in the people business trying to manipulate her 6 yr old in a clever scheme to discover his friend's mother's name. :o - by RainMaker
There is nothing more pathetic than someone who is in the people business trying to manipulate her 6 yr old in a clever scheme to discover his friend's mother's name. :o
That happened to me last night. I went to my child's school for orientation and bumped into her friends father. After I rattled off a few potentials she gave me the name and crusty look. - by Calvin
I was with prospects today and I forgot their names. :o

What do "you" do in that situtation?
Punt! (just kidding)

What do "you" do to remember names?
I use the prospects name as soon as possible and several times.

Where possible I also write down the prospects name just in case. ;) - by SalesGuy
I've tried all those memory tricks, and it never worked for me. Guess I'm just not quick enough to think up some code like seeing a rabbit on someone's head. By the time I've gone through all that, I forget what the rabbit was supposed to signify.

So, I kinda do the same thing as Sales Guy. Only, sometimes I can't figure out a way to use their name without it sounding like I'm memorizing it. So, I will repeat the name over and over to myself if there is no natural way to work it into the conversation.

Then, if I'm at a meeting, I usually have a notepad with me, so I'll write the date, company name, and attendees names on the pad. It looks like I'm going to take a lot of notes, but even if I don't, at least I have the names. :o

Kathleen - by KSA-Mktg
I guess I'm in good company. :)

I'd better start writing people's names down or this could get ugly. :D - by Franklin
When I want to remember a name I use it in my conversation immediately. Sometimes I even ask them to spell it for me. Many times I write the name down on my paperwork. - by SpeedRacer
I would just ask if they had a business card that I could have. Asking them to spell it is okay, unless they say something like "you don't know how to spell Tim Smith!":p - by Doc MC
I would just ask if they had a business card that I could have. Asking them to spell it is okay, unless they say something like "you don't know how to spell Tim Smith!":p
On a similar note, when I'm writing a purchase contract and I've forgotten a name I simply ask them for their drivers license. This not only solves the mystery name issue but also makes it easier to filling out the contract which also requires their address. - by AZBroker
Franklin, my advice is to form the belief that remembering names is an "important" part of your responsibilities.

Everyone forgets a name once in a while. It happens. A "habit" of failing to remember names, in my opinion, indicates either a learning challenge or a mental belief that forgetting names isn't that important. Usually it's the later. ;) - by SalesCoach
When I can't remember someone's name, I just ask! I usually also say that I'm terrible at remembering names. Oftentimes they can't remember my name either--so I've already broken the ice and it's natural and easy for them to ask my name.

Of course I'm not in sales (at least not making daily or weekly sales calls) so it's not such a big deal for me. I imagine if you are a salesperson, remembering names is just one of the skills you need to have. - by Terri Zwierzynski
When I can't remember someone's name, I just ask! I usually also say that I'm terrible at remembering names. Oftentimes they can't remember my name either--so I've already broken the ice and it's natural and easy for them to ask my name.
Good point. Thanks Terri. :) - by Franklin
Actually I'm pretty good at remembering names and nothing is more musical to a prospect than his/her own name. I usually will write down their name while explaining to them that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and they are too important for me to forget their names. In my industry a lot of customers are super-defensive and the smarter they think they are the easier they are to help. - by Rothgar the Pacifist
I am really pretty good at remembering names and remembering their name is music to their ears. In my industry people are usually extremely defensive and usually I'll act a little dumb and explain I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and write down their names. This serves two purposes it makes them comfortable knowing they are smarter than this dumb friendly salesman(LOL)and it pumps up their ego making it easier for me to help them.:D - by Rothgar the Pacifist
In my industry people are usually extremely defensive and usually I'll act a little dumb and explain I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and write down their names. This serves two purposes it makes them comfortable knowing they are smarter than this dumb friendly salesman(LOL)and it pumps up their ego making it easier for me to help them.:D
I like your idea Rothgar. Thanks. :) - by Franklin
In my industry a lot of customers are super-defensive and the smarter they think they are the easier they are to help.
Isn't amazing how many people you affend before you say the first word? It's like some are affended that you would walk up to them to introduce yourself, while the same people would want to speak to a manager because nobody asked them if they needed help if you didn't. I'm glad that is a thing of the past for me! Really wasn't all that good anyway :rolleyes: - by EXP Creative
It's like some are affended that you would walk up to them to introduce yourself, while the same people would want to speak to a manager because nobody asked them if they needed help if you didn't.
You just summed up an experience I had yesterday. It's a small world. :) - by AZBroker
You just summed up an experience I had yesterday. It's a small world. :)
I had that happen to me almost everyday...oh well. Can you tell me how that happens to a broker? :confused:

Oh about forgetting names - I forgot to post this earlier. I found that it was the mood I was in when I introduced myself that determined if I was going to remember their names. I can't remember a time that I thought I was going to sell a certain car to these people and forgot their name. I can however, remember many times that I said, "Let me go find out what they are going to do today." I did find out - they were going to buy a car, but not from me.

I'm talking about the "SS = Super Slick" mode :cool: in which you amaze yourself. If you can find away to get into that mode, I'm sure you won't have a problem remembering names anymore. I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm still working on it. - by EXP Creative
I try to remember the faces. - by freetraff
I used to work for a Senator, who used the trick of greeting anyone he couldn't rember by "hello partner" or "hey buddy, how ya doin?" it gave the person he was greeting a feeling of familiarity and they loved him for it. They all thought he remembered them!! - by golden1
I used to work for a Senator, who used the trick of greeting anyone he couldn't rember by "hello partner" or "hey buddy, how ya doin?" it gave the person he was greeting a feeling of familiarity and they loved him for it. They all thought he remembered them!!
What a smart Senator! This strategy will work fine even if you forgot the name of your lawyer, son, and even President :) - by freetraff
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.