Home > Advertising > Opportunities in Radio

Opportunities in Radio

I've decided to look into the various marketing opportunities that I've avoided over the years and Radio is one of them.

Others have mentioned that there are various ways to cut the costs involved by reselling air time for commercials and/or buying blocks of "off-peak" time.

Would anyone be able to expand on this? - by SalesGuy
  • I've decided to look into the various marketing opportunities that I've avoided over the years and Radio is one of them.
Others have mentioned that there are various ways to cut the costs involved by reselling air time for commercials and/or buying blocks of "off-peak" time.

Would anyone be able to expand on this?
We've been running sixty-second radio ads for two years slotting into peak drive time and afternoon time. Five of us pay for the ads so it's cost effective. It would be best if a radio personality would read the ad but this isn't available for a price we can afford. BUT the listening loyalty on this station is huge - 80% listen to no other radio stations.

Some would say that calls into an 800# should be answered immediately. Others would say that voice mail picking up the call and call backs works just as well. We use an 800# which goes into voice mail checked through out the day and call backs are daily.

Seven affiliate stations are part of our radio ads which covers a large geographical area. Consistency and repetition of ads with good call backs is the key to success, we've found.

We've been told, "I kept your 800# for three months before I called." many times.

Fluctuations produce high and low numbers calling in - we've also changed our ad every eight to ten months.

Some would argue that you need to get answers from the station regarding value guarantees. The radio station we work with had general stats concerning demographics, listener loyalty and profiles, but none regarding what return we could expect.

So far what we've done has paid for itself and profit is coming along. Everything we do is long term - we look at daily, weekly and monthly activities for their cumulative effect toward yearly goals and yearly goals toward five and ten year goals.

That's what I know. - by MitchM
Mitch said:Some would argue that you need to get answers from the station regarding value guarantees

That would be me who would argue.

Selling radio spots is a highly competitive arena. You can get out of them what you now think you can't.

Mitch, interview radio personalities yourself and deal privately (outside of the station's billing). You'll find that you can cut a deal that's affordable and you'll increase your direct response dramatically. - by Gary Boye
Mitch said:Some would argue that you need to get answers from the station regarding value guarantees

That would be me who would argue.

Selling radio spots is a highly competitive arena. You can get out of them what you now think you can't.

Mitch, interview radio personalities yourself and deal privately (outside of the station's billing). You'll find that you can cut a deal that's affordable and you'll increase your direct response dramatically.
I've used Gary's suggestions for radio advertising and we got not only stats but also one of the personalities known by the audience to read our promo. We've worked with this Christian station [and affiliates] going on two years now.

Our current sixty second promo has the radio personality opening followed by thirty seconds in the middle of a personal testimony [five of us were recorded then the company editor put the final pieces togwther] - only one of per promo and they are mixed in during our three week ad blitz - followed by ten - twelve seconds of an 800# to call for to reserve seating at an event we're promoting.

This has brought in more calls than anything we've done in the past. - by MitchM
Woah. Good going! I can I am not the only one benefitting from Gary's experience! - by RainMaker
Talking about Local Radio Station at your Citys or Internet Radio. I think Internet Radios are great because the person is at home browesing him computer while listening to a popular Internet Radio so his close to the Computer and Phone so i think it kinda works better then a local radio when your in the car and you hear an ad thats my 2 cents on the subject. What do you guys think? - by Sanddollar
Talking about Local Radio Station at your Citys or Internet Radio. I think Internet Radios are great because the person is at home browesing him computer while listening to a popular Intrenet Radio so his close to the Computer and Phone so i think it kinda works better then a local radio when your in the car and you hear an ad thats my 2 cents on the subject. What do you guys think?
What about Satellite Radio advertising? Too new? Too limited? - by AZBroker
Many radio stations charge twice the 30 second rate for a 60 second commercial.

You can say the entire Lord's Prayer in 20 seconds. Work to keep radio commercials at 30 seconds and your money can be used for more frequency.

Newspaper ads do not make good radio commercials. Write separately for radio and leave room for the important pause.

Much radio listening is in cars where people do not have a pen and paper to write down a phone number. Unless the entire focus of the ad is to get people to call a number, concentrate of making the name of the business and the benefits it provides memorable so when the time comes for the customer to move, the radio ad has created a top of mind awareness for the advertiser.

BIG Mike - by BIG Mike
60 second commercials can tell a story and really set you apart from your compititors. they are usually twice as expensive but in saying that it is all about making a profit even after paying for the radio advertising.
I have seen business profit by using radio advertising in my area. - by Kristy
Radio has become very fragmented with all the different formats but if you want to use radio be sure to match the format with your customer. You want to have a creative commercial, something listeners will remember. You have to give potential customers a reason to buy your product or service and on radio you need frequency or consistency. Advertising is not suppose to be a cost it is suppose to be an investment and if it is done properly you should see a return on your investment. If you are breaking even why bother. Advertising should increase your business. - by MPrince
Big Mike is right; it has been my experience that to the average listener they can't tell the difference in sixty seconds or thirty seconds. The objective is to get your name out there as often as possible for the least possible investment. However some radio stations only allow sixty second commercials to keep down clutter. - by MPrince
Radio spot ads are definitely a low cost and effective support advertising medium.

Radio talk shows are of course a different matter. Initially the Show itslef willhave to be aggressively promoted.. If done right it can build an audience and big buzz effect which is effective for both lead generation and brand.

Combined with SMS, this is has become even more powerful. - by alexhar
It is much easier to hold the attention of an audience for thirty or sixty seconds than it is to hold their attention for thirty minutes for a talk show. If you don't have the right kind of talent that has the ability to entertain an audience you will loose them in about the first minute or two and embarrass yourself at the same time. I have seen it happen over and over. The last thing you want to do is be a talking head. For a small business with no radio or media talent you need to stick with creative thirty or sixty second commercials. I am not quite sure what SMS is that alexhar mentioned but a talk show is not something you need to do unless you have the talent to entertain.

MP
Advertising Executive - by MPrince
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.