Home > Education > Selling: What is selling to you?

Selling: What is selling to you?

I'm quite confident that "selling" means different things to different people. So... in your opinion, what is selling? - by Jolly Roger
I'm quite confident that "selling" means different things to different people. So... in your opinion, what is selling?
I'll answer it descriptively.

Selling is the most important skill in any business.

Every person sees through a different lens. Circumstances and environment certainly would determine someone's definition of what selling is.

My own view is that selling is a business, and should be treated as such.

I don't usually paste anything here that I've written elsewhere. This is from a work in progress--and I think it's appropriate for this thread.

Selling has been described as an art, a profession, a career, an occupation, a science, and even a game. In the right context, those terms are valid. However, the very best producers in sales think of themselves as the CEO's of their own businesses. They act in accordance with their own business choices and business decisions. It follows then that the decisions they make will determine their ultimate success or ultimate failure. The rewards of good decision-making are far-reaching and observable. Equally, the fruits of poor decision-making, or the common reluctance to make personal choices, are often frustration, discouragement, and lesser material rewards.

--Gary Boye, Uncommon Sense

That's the best I can offer. - by Gary Boye
I agree, that sales is really your own entreprenurial venture within the walls of whatever company your working for...

J - by jasonc
Listening and then meeting the needs of the person. I think you can try to sell to 100 different people, but if they don't need, more or less want that new car today, then the sale just won't be made. - by msanti85
[
That's the best I can offer.
That's the best explanation I have ever heard! Great Job! - by EXP Creative
Selling includes contacting potential customers, presenting and demonstrating products, taking of orders, delivery of goods and the collection of payment. (Direct Selling Association) - by Prospector
[quote]Selling has been described as an art, a profession, a career, an occupation, a science, and even a game. In the right context, those terms are valid. However, the very best producers in sales think of themselves as the CEO's of their own businesses. They act in accordance with their own business choices and business decisions. It follows then that the decisions they make will determine their ultimate success or ultimate failure. The rewards of good decision-making are far-reaching and observable. Equally, the fruits of poor decision-making, or the common reluctance to make personal choices, are often frustration, discouragement, and lesser material rewards.[/QUOTE--Gary Boye, Uncommon Sense]

What you've posted, Gary, is that the person who takes charge of his life and responsibility for decision making determines his success and that success can be measured. Also, not taking charge of one's life and responsibility for decision making can lead to negative outcomes. I don't see that as a statement of what selling is as much as a statement of a general philosophy that could be applied to everything we do - and very dynamic and true it is.

Day to day, Gary, what are the most specific actions that define what we do when we're selling? Also, what things do we do that may feel like "selling" yet aren't and actually defeat successful sales activity?

I have some conclusions but I'm interested in hearing what you or anyone else has to say. - by MitchM
Day to day, Gary, what are the most specific actions that define what we do when we're selling?
My pappy used to say that a salesperson need only concentrate on 2 things; finding someone to tell your story to and telling someone your story. ;) - by Jolly Roger
Day to day, Gary, what are the most specific actions that define what we do when we're selling?
Mitch,

When we are selling, we are either finding prospects or acquiring customers. If we are not doing either, we are not engaged in the act of selling.

I maintain that selling is a business which does not exclude some of the definitions I noted in my excerpt.

What it is, and what we do, does not directly address what is required. That's a different subject and the answers to that are much more important than the arbitrary definitions we place on the above. - by Gary Boye
Mitch,

When we are selling, we are either finding prospects or acquiring customers. If we are not doing either, we are not engaged in the act of selling.

I maintain that selling is a business which does not exclude some of the definitions I noted in my excerpt.

What it is, and what we do, does not directly address what is required. That's a different subject and the answers to that are much more important than the arbitrary definitions we place on the above.
What fascinates me and interests me most about what you have to say, Gary, is on the subject of what's required and it is what's more important than the arbitrary definitions - the cliches and pocket phrases which do have a purpose. - by MitchM
"What fascinates me and interests me most about what you have to say, Gary, is on the subject of what's required and it is what's more important than the arbitrary definitions - the cliches and pocket phrases which do have a purpose."

Mitch, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I think cliches and pocket phrases are the "S