Home > Resistance > Yours is better but ours is okay with us.

Yours is better but ours is okay with us.

I am in a category that is very competetive in the direct marketing field. Vacuums. Without mentioning our company I can say we do compete with the largest direct marketing company of vacuums in the world (Kirby) While that is the biggest, it certainly isn't the only other company out there. (Of course I'm biased) but our machine out performs every machine we go against. The problem I seem to be facing lately is the topic of this thread. Someone got there before we did. We do still get some sales from these folks but..........honestly, it's a pain in my ***. There is a reason why (Brand X) out sells us and it's only because they door knock and then turn over sales reps every month. I (And the other strong salesmen) have been with the company for years. But for my newbies, (Just as all newbies) they need success early in order to wet their appetites. I hate to see talent walk away when I KNOW it just takes a little time but..........again, no one works for free...........for long.

Here are the pluses:

Machine works better
Machine is easier to use
Machine has a better warranty

Minuses..............

Price is comparible.

I teach this stuff daily but anyone worth their weight in salt (Huh?) knows that they can always learn. (I have learned from newbies just spouting off random quips) So I pose this question to the sales community in the hope I can get a new perspective. - by vacmag
I am in a category that is very competetive in the direct marketing field. Vacuums. Without mentioning our company I can say we do compete with the largest direct marketing company of vacuums in the world (Kirby) While that is the biggest, it certainly isn't the only other company out there. (Of course I'm biased) but our machine out performs every machine we go against. The problem I seem to be facing lately is the topic of this thread. Someone got there before we did. We do still get some sales from these folks but..........honestly, it's a pain in my ***. There is a reason why (Brand X) out sells us and it's only because they door knock and then turn over sales reps every month. I (And the other strong salesmen) have been with the company for years. But for my newbies, (Just as all newbies) they need success early in order to wet their appetites. I hate to see talent walk away when I KNOW it just takes a little time but..........again, no one works for free...........for long.

Here are the pluses:

Machine works better
Machine is easier to use
Machine has a better warranty

Minuses..............

Price is comparible.

I teach this stuff daily but anyone worth their weight in salt (Huh?) knows that they can always learn. (I have learned from newbies just spouting off random quips) So I pose this question to the sales community in the hope I can get a new perspective.
"But for my newbies, (Just as all newbies) they need success early in order to wet their appetites. I hate to see talent walk away when I KNOW it just takes a little time but..........again, no one works for free...........for long."

Amen. As far as talent goes, everyone who can talk can sell. Give
everyone a chance. - by Wonderboy
You wrote,

"The problem I seem to be facing lately is the topic of this thread. Someone got there before we did. We do still get some sales from these folks but..........honestly, it's a pain in my ***. There is a reason why (Brand X) out sells us and it's only because they door knock and then turn over sales reps every month."

I'm not sure I understand. What, in a nutshell, is the reason for your frustration? - by Skip Anderson
Vacmag seems to be looking for a simple, in-the-box answer to a complex problem.

If you were to knock on our door, my wife would not let you, or anyone else, in. I know that may not be typical, but we live in an upscale area where very few people open their doors to strangers.

However, if you were to call our house and mention a couple of the features of your vacuum, she would most likely invite you to come over. That is because, just last week, we trashed our five year old Hoover Self-Propelled monster.

My guess is that a small percentage of all upscale homeowners need, want and can afford a new vac now. It is far easier and more efficient to find them, and make appointments by phone than on-the-hoof. - by JacquesWerth
Having worked in the flooring industry, I can also give you a little bit of info, that may be of help getting your foot in the door.

Mohawk Carpet (I am sure you are familiar with them) will tell you that carpet should be vacuumed X amount of times per week, where X is the number of people in the house. Don't forget to mention, that each pet counts too.

It will take a good vacuum with an excellent warranty to stand up to that abuse. - by MrLister
The problem I seem to be facing lately is the topic of this thread. Someone got there before we did. We do still get some sales from these folks but..........honestly, it's a pain in my ***. There is a reason why (Brand X) out sells us and it's only because they door knock and then turn over sales reps every month.
Is the problem that the competition is getting to the prospects first or that the prospects are okay with what they are currently using? :cu - by Mikey
Is the problem that the competition is getting to the prospects first or that the prospects are okay with what they are currently using? :cu
No, the problem is that his company brings in people who don't know how to prospect or sell to work on straight commission. - by JacquesWerth
Vacmag seems to be looking for a simple, in-the-box answer to a complex problem.

If you were to knock on our door, my wife would not let you, or anyone else, in.
I don't think he knocks on doors. His post describes that his competitors knock on doors.

I think Vacmag is just seeking some assistance from all of us in this forum, which is fantastic. - by Skip Anderson
I don't think he knocks on doors. His post describes that his competitors knock on doors.
You might be right. I don't think that he mentioned how his company does their prospecting. - by JacquesWerth
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.