Home > Approach > How do I motivate people to call back?

How do I motivate people to call back?

I just became an insurance agent. I've worked in sales before, but it was in retail stores. This is a whole different ball game IMO. My problem is that when I generate or receive a lead, that lead is most often just one of the two decision makers that I have to get to agree that my product will help them.

For instance, I call Mrs. Lead:
Me:
Hi Mrs. Prospect, this is Derek, we met a couple of days ago and you asked me to call you about your insurance needs.
Mrs. Prospect:
Hey, blah blah blah.
Me:
Well, I've gone over the information you gave me and I've worked up a quote on a policy that I think will fit your needs. It is a such and such policy that has such and such benefits and you can own the policy for $XXX"
Mrs. Prospect:
In depth questions, etc, etc,
Me:
I usually answer one or two questions, and then suggest to Mrs. Prospect that her, her husband, and I all sit down and discuss the details.
Mrs. Prospect:
Well, let me talk to him and we will see about setting something up.
--------------------------------------
My manager suggests that I be very breif and don't get into details on the phone, b/c usually some one isn't going to understand double indemnity this and cancer policy that. I'm wondering now if I don't give enough info to set the hook.
Often times, I never hear anything back. I don't want to hound people, but it seems like the only way to get the appointment sometimes.
Are there key words or phrases that I should be using that will actually make the prospect talk with the co-decision maker and get back to me? I'm looking for a way to create some urgency with the potential buyer, but given the nature of the business there aren't any special deals that can be had if they "buy now." - by drobs
I agree with your manager to keep it brief. If you give them all the information they "believe" they need over the phone then why would they need to call back? BTW, "curiosity" is an excellent motivator. - by Houston
+1 on Houston's answer.

NEVER give away the farm in the first phone call when you know they need to speak to their spouse and your goal here is to set an appointment to present your offer to them both in person.

My advice is this..

Get rid of the hi, hello, how are you? statements in you opener. They mean nothing and it's proven that omitting them = more appointments/closed deals.

Do not quote prices/benefits etc... in a presentation over the phone. Your whole objective is to meet with BOTH of them and have them sign on the dotted line.

Instead, tell him/her that you are getting back to them on the insurance information they requested and you have quite a few options that will suit their needs. When would be the best time for us to get together? morning/afternoon/evening? etc....

Your goal of this phone call is to set a time for them to come to see you or you to see them and that's it.

Run the show or they will run you! - by bluenote
Great advice, thank you.

I've give this a shot. I think if I still get the "well, let me talk to my spouse" I'll start just telling them, "I understand, I'll give you a couple of days to discuss things and call you by Friday."

I feel that this will put some pressure and make them feel more obligated to actually have the conversation -- or is this too pushy? - by drobs
drobs,

I'd say not "pushy" enough. Houston and bluenote have given excellent advice. But when you get what may well be a brushoff, don't just let them squirm away. Get a commitment from them. Ask for a specific time and day to call them back, or get their agreement on a specific time and day.

If they squirm again, you have more of a problem on your hands than just needing to talk to their spouse. Now you'll have to find out what the problem is, which is probably it's their "nice" way of blowing you off. If that proves to be the case, you didn't have a prospect anyway, so move on.

If they commit, make sure you call exactly when you say you will call, not 10 minutes early, nor a minute late. By doing exactly what you say you're going to do, you're teaching them to trust you--and that you fully expect them to do what they say they are going to do.

If you get an answering machine when you call, which is a very real possiblity, leave a message reminding of the phone appointment, and letting them know exactly when you called and exactly when you be calling again. Most prospects really don't expect you to call again because they've been taught by salespeople that few call a second time. So, again, you have to train them that you do what you say you're going to do, when you say you're going to do it. - by pmccord
Hello Drobs:

If I were selling life/health insurance I would not concentrate my initial presentation, whether on the phone or in person, on asking the prospect about their insurance needs, what products you offer, and if you could secure some time to show them what you offer.

I would want to let them know I am the one who can provide the financial security for their family if anything should happen to them. Isn't that what you are selling, protection for the prospect's loved ones? You need to appeal to their emotions, not tell them about all the plans your company (and every other insurance company) provides. They've heard all this before.

When I first met my life insurance agent and asked him what he did for a living he didn't tell me anything about his 'products' or who he worked for. He said, "I help you provide financial security for your family and loved ones if something should ever happen to you." That got my attention.

He didn't tell me he sold insurance, he worked for New York Life, and he had fantastic products that would insure my family was financially protected forever if something happened to me, and that he had great investment opportunities for me. He didn't ask if he could make an appointment with me. He appealed to my most important emotion (taking care of my family and loved ones), and I asked him if he could tell me more.

Appeal to your prospects EMOTIONS and FEELINGS and you will get appointments to show how you can help people. Set yourself apart from the other agents and concentrate on emotional appeals you can create to offer the fantastic protection your products provide to people.

Change your 'mindset' and sell on a higher consciousness level, provide much more value than you expect to receive, and incredible rewards will come your way... - by Dougd55
Bluenote, I really agree with what you said:

"Do not quote prices/benefits etc... in a presentation over the phone. Your whole objective is to meet with BOTH of them and have them sign on the dotted line.

Instead, tell him/her that you are getting back to them on the insurance information they requested and you have quite a few options that will suit their needs. When would be the best time for us to get together? morning/afternoon/evening? etc....

Your goal of this phone call is to set a time for them to come to see you or you to see them and that's it."

Spot on, Blue. - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.