fear

In my short career in sales i have encountered, because of the lack of success, a fear to close people. I thought it was hesitation, but my boss says that i still have a fear in the back of my mind. what is the best way to cope with this?? - by PnA2005
In my short career in sales i have encountered, because of the lack of success, a fear to close people. I thought it was hesitation, but my boss says that i still have a fear in the back of my mind. what is the best way to cope with this??
Fear to close people? Can you elaborate? - by AZBroker
thanks for asking!! i hesitate to call people. like there is something in the back of my mind that makes me think im going to mess it up. just that thought throws me off my game and there are times where i have like 15 papers to close and that feeling is there and im hesitant to call and close. - by PnA2005
What you've described sounds like "Approach Anxiety" which can have many causes. One example of a cause is when you're learning new material (product knowledge) and you don't want to come across as someone who doesn't know what he is talking about. How comfortable are you with product knowledge (what it does, how it does it, how it compares with the competition, etc.) and how well do you know the benefits your product or service will bring to your customers? - by AZBroker
Many things produce fear and anxiety.What removed mine was thorough product knowledge which gave me product confidence and the understanding that there are people who want what I offer and are willing to buy it and those who don't.

I also knew I had support when I didn't know something and I could get it.

With all of that my job is simple and without any kind of fear or anxiety - find people who need, want, and are willing to buy what I offer.

Some days I fear I'm not working enough and that's true. Then I tell myself that a day spent with grand children or something else I wanted to do justified a lazy busy day.

That's the only fear I have now. I hope my story can help.

The best of the best to you.
MitchM - by MitchM
In my short career in sales i have encountered, because of the lack of success, a fear to close people. I thought it was hesitation, but my boss says that i still have a fear in the back of my mind. what is the best way to cope with this??
PnA2005, you sound frustrated. And rightfully so. Here's a suggestion:

Pick up a book by two psychologists, George W. Dudley and Shannon L. Goodson called "The Psychology of Sales Call Reluctance." It's based upon their psychological research and it is excellent. It's available for under $16 from Amazon.

There's an assessment available, The "SPQ Gold," that is based upon their research. It will tell you if you have any of the twelve types of sales call reluctance, and if so, to what degree. Back when I was a sales manager, I used this tool successfully to diagnose SCR in several employees so I could then develop a plan on how to deal with it.

The best to you! - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.