Home > Personal Development > Getting Re-motivated

Getting Re-motivated

Have any of you gone through a slump where you have lost your motivation....If so ...How did you get it back ?.....I am in a rut ...sales down 30 % ....I am not motivated anymore...I lost my MOJO...almost like burned out ...I am 38 yrs old ...and I have always been very motivated ...just not now ...any suggestions :cu - by dvon104
Hello,

At one time or another, most salespeople face the same problem that you are experiencing. The root cause of your problem is A LACK OF PRODUCTION!!!

You said it yourself, "sales down 30%....."

I am certain if your sales were up 30% this post would be totally the opposite!

I suggest that you regroup and have someone who does not know you look over your business and/or your position to pinpoint where you are going off-track. Most of the time you are too close to see the problems that are hurting your production whereas it is very easy for someone else to identify the root cause of the issues.

I also suggest you focus on the basics; a simple consistent selling process, strong and effective marketing, and a mindset for success. When you have these 3 areas going in the right direction you will be back on track in no time!

All the best,

salespro - by salespro
Salespeople who rely on "motivation" to produce are always vulnerable to burnout.

Sales is one of only four fields that regularly use motivation. The others are sports, the military and police. What do they have in common? It is their lack of confidence, and inability to accurately predict, that their actions will produce a favorable result.

Can you imagine carpenters, physicians, scientists, or electricians who need motivation in order to do a good job every day? No, they get all of the motivation they need from the skillful application of the right tools to produce results they are proud of.

Burnout is typically caused by the realization that you are no longer confident in your skills, and you don't know how to quickly improve them.

Skillful application of a step-by-step sales process that really works is all the "motivation" top sales producers need.
- by JacquesWerth
Salespeople who rely on "motivation" to produce are always vulnerable to burnout.

Sales is one of only four fields that regularly use motivation. The others are sports, the military and police. What do they have in common? It is their lack of confidence, and inability to accurately predict, that their actions will produce a favorable result.

Can you imagine carpenters, physicians, scientists, or electricians who need motivation in order to do a good job every day? No, they get all of the motivation they need from the skillful application of the right tools to produce results they are proud of.

Burnout is typically caused by the realization that you are no longer confident in your skills, and you don't know how to quickly improve them.

Skillful application of a step-by-step sales process that really works is all the "motivation" top sales producers need.
Well thanks for the pep talk ....I asked for advice not condescending pompous comments....I am pretty damn confident in "my skills"...all salespeople must be "motivated"...your carpenters and and so forth ...punch a clock and do not rely on self motivation for their paycheck.....and motivation is one of the major keys to success in sales....there is not a step by step process ...its motivation ...diligence ....people skills ...and some times being in the right place at the right time...and I am sure there are some I am leaving out ....Sales is not A.A. there is not a magic 12 step program to landing the sale...might be step by step if you are slling used cars or vacums...but again thanks for the comment ...one day maybe I can be a superstar like you...and learn your "steps" - by dvon104
Hello,

At one time or another, most salespeople face the same problem that you are experiencing. The root cause of your problem is A LACK OF PRODUCTION!!!

You said it yourself, "sales down 30%....."

I am certain if your sales were up 30% this post would be totally the opposite!

I suggest that you regroup and have someone who does not know you look over your business and/or your position to pinpoint where you are going off-track. Most of the time you are too close to see the problems that are hurting your production whereas it is very easy for someone else to identify the root cause of the issues.

I also suggest you focus on the basics; a simple consistent selling process, strong and effective marketing, and a mindset for success. When you have these 3 areas going in the right direction you will be back on track in no time!

All the best,

salespro
Thanks for your advice ...I am in the process of doing some self -evaluation of what I am different doing now vs. 6 months ago ...not to mention ..I am in building material sales ...and now the market stinks - by dvon104
No problem dvon!

Get right up on your bike and ride 'er! Motivation and production go hand in hand. Production UP= Motivation UP.

Production DOWN= Morale, Motivation, Attitude DOWN.

When the market is tough is when you need to be your best. Dig deep and challenge yourself. Life and sales are just a game....

Play well,

salespro - by salespro
dvon,

I am not going to give you the norm answer here. I am not going to give you the sales pitch to win you over. What I do is not normal, not sales oriented. I just remove myself from the slump by getting a little "me" time in. I don't mean getting pampered or anything. I just do a little searching on why I chose the field that I am currently in - then re-focus my goals.

I love reading - there are so many good authors out there that once I read a little snidbit of their book, I quickly get back into the right mindset.

Salespro has some great points, but don't discount what Jacques said as well. What they talk about is two different ways to play - two different approaches. Please, by no means, don't get offended - just remember the key word is sales and marketing is "game". Play the game, win the game, don't take the game serious - but........you always want to have fun when you play. - by Ed Callais
Well thanks for the pep talk ....I asked for advice not condescending pompous comments....I am pretty damn confident in "my skills"...all salespeople must be "motivated"...your carpenters and and so forth ...punch a clock and do not rely on self motivation for their paycheck.....and motivation is one of the major keys to success in sales....there is not a step by step process ...its motivation ...diligence ....people skills ...and some times being in the right place at the right time...and I am sure there are some I am leaving out ....Sales is not A.A. there is not a magic 12 step program to landing the sale...might be step by step if you are slling used cars or vacums...but again thanks for the comment ...one day maybe I can be a superstar like you...and learn your "steps"
I have been studying the Top 1% of salespeople for fifty years. In the beginning, it was because I wanted to get rich Ė and I did. Now, I share what I learned with people who believe all of that misinformation that you wrote above so that they can live a better life.

The reason top salespeople donít experience burn-out is they utilize a set of tactics that have the highest probability of consistently producing excellent results. It's not based on "magic;" it's based on the combined experience of hundreds of top producers.

You might consider calling Dr. Wayne Diamond in Philadelphia. He does telephone consultations with salespeople from all over the country, who have issues like yours. He usually has them moving forward again, quickly. - by JacquesWerth
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.