Home > Resistance > Reducing sales resistance

Reducing sales resistance

I think many salespeople encounter resistance on a daily basis. Does anyone have any great tips on how to minimize this from happening? - by Frankie
I learned to ask: is this something you want or not? from http://www.highprobsell.com/ and that took care of most of my resistance problems.

I was slow in learning to ask that simple question even after reading it - maybe I had a head too full of compound/complex questions and answers left over from college, I don't know - so I've learned how to reduce my own resistance to letting go of struggle and hence, I don't feel that any more.

The only resistance I deal with now is my sometimes unmotivated ways when I settle for less of myself and take another day off - but that's another topic.

BUT the question is the same: is this [more business] what you want or not? and when it's a lazy day the answer is obviously: not! - by MitchM
I learned to ask: is this something you want or not?
That's probably a bit abrupt for my tastes but I appreciate the response. :) - by Frankie
I think many salespeople encounter resistance on a daily basis. Does anyone have any great tips on how to minimize this from happening?
That's a pretty general question, Frankie. Could you be more specific as to when and how? - by Gary Boye
That's a pretty general question, Frankie. Could you be more specific as to when and how?
No problem. Specifically, I would thinking about resistance from prospects when meeting for the first time. A good example would be door-to-door cold calling. In many instances, you don't even get a chance to say anything before your broomed off the porch. - by Frankie
No problem. Specifically, I would thinking about resistance from prospects when meeting for the first time. A good example would be door-to-door cold calling. In many instances, you don't even get a chance to say anything before your broomed off the porch.
That's a tough way to make a living. I haven't done residential door knocking since I was fourteen. My Dad taught me two things that really helped: Always take a step back when they come to the door--and--never hand them anything--such as printed literature. Those two things were effective for me. - by Gary Boye
I think many salespeople encounter resistance on a daily basis. Does anyone have any great tips on how to minimize this from happening?
If you meet common objections, and you should know what they are after a while, you can incorporate them into the presentation. That way there's less resistance. - by Kristina
[quote=Kristina]If you meet common objections, and you should know what they are after a while, you can incorporate them into the presentation. That way there's less resistance.[/QUOT

Kristina Can you give an example of what do you mean? they after a while you can incorporate them into your presenation. Door to door selling incorporate them into your presentation? - by Sanddollar
You can knock on a door, make a call, meet someone on the street and you can create sales resistance by your approach. I like what Gary's dad taught him.
By create sales resistance I mean that if I do anything more than offer something for someone to look at I have created a situation that can invite sales resistance.

If someone says he or she doesn't want what I offer and I counter that - which I may - I have to understand that this potentially will produce a counteraction and this situation can become one of overcoming resistance - one of struggle.

Recently someone had opinionated and untrue things to say about a product of mine - I will address those opinions if that person wants me to - otherwise I won't and I'll move on. If that person wants me to address his opinions that invites a situation that can become one of overcoming resistance - one of struggle, of argumentation and debate - and I'm not saying these things are negative or bad or to be avoided by definition.

What I'm saying is that the seller can create resistance situations and sellers should recognize that and also recognize what it is that's happening.

Some people thrive on overcoming rejection or objections - some people thrive on conflict and resistance - some people thrive on debate, argumentation and struggle. I don't like any of those situations unless I see some intrinsic value or reason to pursue or create situations that offer those things.

BUT also just entering a conversation that produces questions doesn't imply resistance - resistance can also be a definition that is just as easily let go of as kept - so what are we talking about here anyway? - by MitchM
You can knock on a door, make a call, meet someone on the street and you can create sales resistance by your approach. I like what Gary's dad taught him.
By create sales resistance I mean that if I do anything more than offer something for someone to look at I have created a situation that can invite sales resistance.

If someone says he or she doesn't want what I offer and I counter that - which I may - I have to understand that this potentially will produce a counteraction and this situation can become one of overcoming resistance - one of struggle.

Recently someone had opinionated and untrue things to say about a product of mine - I will address those opinions if that person wants me to - otherwise I won't and I'll move on. If that person wants me to address his opinions that invites a situation that can become one of overcoming resistance - one of struggle, of argumentation and debate - and I'm not saying these things are negative or bad or to be avoided by definition.

What I'm saying is that the seller can create resistance situations and sellers should recognize that and also recognize what it is that's happening.

Some people thrive on overcoming rejection or objections - some people thrive on conflict and resistance - some people thrive on debate, argumentation and struggle. I don't like any of those situations unless I see some intrinsic value or reason to pursue or create situations that offer those things.

BUT also just entering a conversation that produces questions doesn't imply resistance - resistance can also be a definition that is just as easily let go of as kept - so what are we talking about here anyway?

Yes I agree and this is a great Detailed Exsplination good stuff and yeah you make a good point "You can knock on a door, make a call, meet someone on the street and you can create sales resistance by your approach." Great info thank you - by Sanddollar
If you build value before presenting your product/service you will tend to encounter less resistance. - by AZBroker
Maybe it is wise to train the sales person to expect sales resistance and how to handle it. There is no use taking that into account if they want to be a good salesperson. - by khunvi
Reject sales resistance - don't hide behind it as an excuse for poor performance - people either want what you have to offer or not.

MikeMitch - by MitchM
Reject sales resistance - don't hide behind it as an excuse for poor performance - people either want what you have to offer or not.
Not all resistance means they don't want what you have to offer. - by Marcus
True - sometimes it means you haven't communicated well.

Mitch - by MitchM
True - sometimes it means you haven't communicated well.
Sometimes it means the customer has issues to resolve before they would feel comfortable making the decision. - by Marcus
That's true too - but having issues to resolve doesn't produce resistance in my communication - if it produces resistance in the potential customer it's not resistance in me - in other words, I recognize it, help if I can by communicating the best I can.

I believe what's commonly called customer resistance is really a feeling of resistance or struggle in the would be seller so maybe I'm not communicating well here - that's the resistance I reject - I don't encounter resistance in myself and when the potential customer doesn't want what I offer after I've done the best I can to meet mutual needs and communicate, I move on.

Mitch - by MitchM
That's true too - but having issues to resolve doesn't produce resistance in my communication - if it produces resistance in the potential customer it's not resistance in me - in other words, I recognize it, help if I can by communicating the best I can.
I see where you're coming from.

I believe what's commonly called customer resistance is really a feeling of resistance or struggle in the would be seller so maybe I'm not communicating well here - that's the resistance I reject - I don't encounter resistance in myself and when the potential customer doesn't want what I offer after I've done the best I can to meet mutual needs and communicate, I move on.
I don't follow. :cu - by Marcus
Tell me more - where do I lose you?

Mitch - by MitchM
Tell me more - where do I lose you?
I believe what's commonly called customer resistance is really a feeling of resistance or struggle in the would be seller...
Are you the "Seller"? - by Marcus

MikeMitch
Don't put your head in the sand and reject sales resistance. Acknowledge it, respect it, and work with it. - by fred
"Don't put your head in the sand and reject sales resistance. Acknowledge it, respect it, and work with it." -- fred.

I don't know what you mean by that but it's a funny picture, Fred. Actually, rejecting sales resistance is the opposite of head-in-the-sand. What exactly do you mean by that?

MitchM - by MitchM
"Don't put your head in the sand and reject sales resistance. Acknowledge it, respect it, and work with it." -- fred.

I don't know what you mean by that but it's a funny picture, Fred. Actually, rejecting sales resistance is the opposite of head-in-the-sand. What exactly do you mean by that?

MitchM
Resistance is not something to avoid or ignore. It happens. It happens quite often and for many different reasons. - by fred
"Resistance is not something to avoid or ignore. It happens. It happens quite often and for many different reasons." -- Fred

I agree that what's commonly called "sales resistance" has to be totally exposed for what it is, where it is, and how it's created and NOT avoided or ignored but met head on so that it can be rejected.

In much the same way I rejected "mid life crisis" and "conflice in marriage" NOT by ignoring these definitions of certain emotional and physical states but by looking at them clearly to understand the source of their cause.

It's not naming something other than what it is, Fred - but it's getting an understanding of what something is in the first place we've ascribed a meaning and definition to - that's to me an important discipline worth study.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
It's not naming something other than what it is, Fred - but it's getting an understanding of what something is in the first place we've ascribed a meaning and definition to - that's to me an important discipline worth study.
How is this congruent with your previous post?

- by fred
I don't see what you mean by not being congruent, Fred. We may not be taking about the same thing but think we are - you might tell me what's incongruent about what I posted as I really don't see it.

When I turned fifty ten years ago my wife said I'd probably have a mid life crisis [maybe she said it when I turned forty-five and two of our friends were out looking or women, trying to regain their youth, ignoring their families. I told my wife I didn't belive in that definition or whatever is meant by mid life crisis.

One of my beliefs is that people self-fulfill concepts which don't necessarily describe anything as it is in absolute fact. So I just don't accept anything called sales resistance - I can't avoid or ignore what doesn't exist - it has no meaning or definition for me.

Today meeting with a couple she and her husband had many questions my wife and I answered and what some might call resistance - questions about cost and benefits - we saw as only honest questions seeking honest answers which we gave. Instead of ordering $100 worth of products they ordered over $700 NOT becauae we over came resistance BUT because we answered their needs and wants honestly and what we had they wanted.

What most people call resistance is someone not wanting what they have using all kinds of questions as a way out instead of saying: I don't want it. SO the sales person works hard at making the sale. I quit working hard at making the sale. I only deal with people who indicate strongly they want what I have and are worth my time - I don't deal with internal or external [they are the same] resistance.

That's the best I can answer

The best to you. - by MitchM
What most people call resistance is someone not wanting what they have using all kinds of questions as a way out instead of saying: I don't want it.
That is a very limiting description of "resistance". I wonder where you found that? - by fred
I know all the other descriptions of resistance,Fred, all of which I find expansively limiting meaning each limiting in different ways. I also know that what looks like resistance is often not enough information, not having genuine questions answered. I don't have one limiting description.

The best to you.

Mitch - by MitchM
I know all the other descriptions of resistance,Fred, all of which I find expansively limiting meaning each limiting in different ways. I also know that what looks like resistance is often not enough information, not having genuine questions answered. I don't have one limiting description.

The best to you.

Mitch
I didn't get that impression from your previous writings (see quote below). My error.

- by fred
I would be interested Mitch in learning more about what you meant by "people either want what you have to offer or not". - by Seth
I would be interested Mitch in learning more about what you meant by "people either want what you have to offer or not".
I could be wrong but I think Mitch's statement is to be taken literally. I personally think this is an ignorant statement but whatever helps you pick up the phone... ;bg - by AZBroker
It's a statement of humility, AZ - at least for me. It could be arrogant for someone else just like a cliche can be this or that depending on how it's used. So don't know how you use it in a way to mean arrogant, AZ.

I asked someone the other day if what I offered was something he wanted to know more about or not and he said NO. I asked him if I could call him again sometime and see if things have changed and he said OK. He also took a business card - I took some info from him as I might be able to send someone his way.

We departed friends - no resistence or struggle [by the way I turned down what he offered me and we'll look at that again in six months] no arrogance but I'd say humility born out of a real honest and straight relationship.

The best to all.

MitchM - by MitchM
Mitch I wrote "Ignorant" not "Arrogant". - by AZBroker
Swap words, then. If arrogant had been used my post stands well. With ignorant I haven't a clue what you mean - why ignorant to you?

MitchM - by MitchM
With ignorant I haven't a clue what you mean - why ignorant to you?
IMO, "people either want what you have to offer or not" is an ignorant statement because it shows an unawareness or lack of knowledge about the mental process that buyers go through when making a purchase decision. - by AZBroker
I would be interested Mitch in learning more about what you meant by "people either want what you have to offer or not".
Same here. What does that mean Mitch? - by SpeedRacer
It's obvious. Person A wants the nutritional products we offer. Person B doesn't. Person C wants the business we offer. Person D doesn't.

Through an offer, a couple of questions [inquiry] person's A and C eant to know more. Person's B and D don't. That can change in the future for person's B and D.

I have an understanding of mental processes.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
It's obvious. Person A wants the nutritional products we offer. Person B doesn't. Person C wants the business we offer. Person D doesn't.

Through an offer, a couple of questions [inquiry] person's A and C eant to know more. Person's B and D don't. That can change in the future for person's B and D.

The best to you.

MitchM
Are you saying the mental process is they want it or they don't? :cu - by SpeedRacer

The best to you.

MitchM
So now the idea [people want to know more or they don't] is the same as "people either want what you have to offer or not"? - by AZBroker
So now the idea [people want to know more or they don't] is the same as "people either want what you have to offer or not"?
lt looks like the goal posts are moving. ;bg - by Calvin
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.