Home > Personal Development > A new age business man, will I ever be accepted?

A new age business man, will I ever be accepted?

Hi Guys! I'm new here and I found you guys actually in my search for some answers related to business and sales. I am currently employed by a nationwide telecommunications company in retail sales. I find a large hurdle I sometimes have to overcome is my looks. I used to have very large plugs (1 inch but shrinking) and have a shaved head (2 clip, not completely shaved, as if it helpsshds;) and I get some amazing sales none the less however i have had people say they enjoyed their purchase experience however they were reluctant to deal with me at first because of the way I look. I know appearance makes a difference but I'm trying to show people that just because I have a different look doesn't mean I'm gonna follow them out to their car and mug them lagh2;. The ones that really bother me is the big time 'sales associates' from their various corporate jobs come in and talk down to me and have even made looks even though my tie probably cost me just as much as their shoes lagh2;. How can I remain somewhat of an individual but not scare off my customers. I dress extra nice to counter the negatives but it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference. Is this a "suck it up" moment where I'm just gonna have to meld into a model sales force or can you stick out (physically) and still make great sales? - by ADHybrid
Hi ADHybrid, and welcome to the forum. You pose a great question!

I believe that there is plenty of room for individuality while working in a sales position. On the other hand, building trust and rapport is key in the sales profession. So ultimately, you must decide if your look is hampering your attempts at building trust and rapport, or if your look is unique and is drawing attention to you. I don't know if anybody but you can answer that question.

I get some amazing sales none the less however i have had people say they enjoyed their purchase experience however they were reluctant to deal with me at first because of the way I look.
Your comment would seem to indicate that your look is not helping you. Speaking for myself, the last thing I want is to set up a situation where people are reluctant to deal with me.

The ones that really bother me is the big time 'sales associates' from their various corporate jobs come in and talk down to me
Nobody likes to be talked down to, but we all have to deal with customers that do this to us. However, if your look is edgy enough that people are reacting negatively, you have to decide which is more important to you, your individuality or your sales performance. In a sales career, success ultimately comes down to sales performance.

The best to you! - by Skip Anderson
Figuratively speaking first impressions can open and close doors and many people judge books by their covers which can work for you or against you. Still, being true to yourself is very important. A compromise on both sides (sales/individuality) might be a authentic option. - by Houston
Have you considered the idea that maybe you need to seek a target audience who is in tune with your look? ( if you choose to keep that look)

I'm sure that like minded people would be thrilled to have a sales person approach them that made them feel at ease because he is so much like them.

If it isn't appropriate for you to target customers of this type with your current company, then maybe your good sales skills could be put to use selling for a different company that already caters to those who share your style.

Example: those with unique looks selling to others who have and appreciate similar uniqueness = think Harley Davidson. - by LM-2008
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.