Home > Public Relations > Reputation Management

Reputation Management

If you found out that a competitor was bad mouthing you around town what would you do? - by Thomas
If you found out that a competitor was bad mouthing you around town what would you do?
One thing I wouldn't do is reciprocate. If the remarks come up when you're with a prospect set the story straight and move on with what you're doing. - by Houston
One thing I wouldn't do is reciprocate. If the remarks come up when you're with a prospect set the story straight and move on with what you're doing.
Well said Houston...

Sometimes our defensive reactions get the best of us and we snap back immediately with negative remarks about our competitors. Unfortunately this does not make us look any more superior to the prospect than our competitor looked when he/she made the initial comments. - by robhalv1
If you found out that a competitor was bad mouthing you around town what would you do?
You know, as the consumer becomes more educated, they realize that sometimes competitors put each other down due to being jealous - personally, if it is bothering you, I would send them a thank you note for bringing in a customer who wanted to see if it was true.

Joining in is never the solution. Houston is right. - by Ed Callais
How do I get this guy to stop? I haven't done anything yet but I'd like to give the guy a piece of my mind. annyd; - by Thomas
Thomas, that just might be what he or she wants. Take the high road and preserve your dignity. - by Ed Callais
I would do nothing. It might be that for some industries or companies a response would be more appropriate than doing nothing - I can't speak of situations I don't know of. But I let my products and company and how I treat people speak for themselves.

I'd make a list - perhaps you have already - of the pros and cons of doing something rather than doing nothing. Also make a pro and con list of doing nothing.

In martial arts you have aggressive as well as passive forms, blending in and straight line attack forms, and many others. Strategy contains many forms of behavior as you may know and the most obvious to come to mind may not be the best for everyone concerned.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
Today one of this guy's agents knocked on one of my listing's door and convinced the seller to cancel his listing and list with her. The agent was in the home at the time he called so I told him to put her on the phone. It wasn't my finest hour. :( - by Thomas
Today one of this guy's agents knocked on one of my listing's door and convinced the seller to cancel his listing and list with her. The agent was in the home at the time he called so I told him to put her on the phone. It wasn't my finest hour. :(
Thomas what you've describe is unethical behavior and unfortunately happens. I know it can be easier said than done but hold yourself to a higher standard. For your own emotional health forgive and move-on. This doesn't mean shouldn't call the person on the matter but it does mean be the bigger man. msnwnk; - by AZBroker
I would suggest reporting him to the Board of Realtors. This is unethical behavior, to be sure. - by Mr Paul
Thanks guys. I'm going to be the better man + report it. :) - by Thomas
I would suggest reporting him to the Board of Realtors. This is unethical behavior, to be sure.
Good advice! - by bmtrnavsky
You could always befriend your competitor. When I was a kid in school I noticed that after two kid duked it out in the field they became instant buddies. Who would have thought.

If you don't like that idea keep in mind that when someone badmouths the competition they usually do more harm to their own image, in the mind of the person hearing the badmouthing, than good. - by Liberty
The other day I was in a suplly house. There was a competitor in the supply house who immediately started to bad mouth my company. He was bad mouthing us as we are a higher priced company for the same type work.

I started asking this fellow a few questions. What was the issue? We overcharged a client. I ask what was done. Reply,I dunno . Do you know if the client purchased a maintanance program,reply I do not know. Did this client let you know everything that was done in her home that day? Reply no.Let me get this straight you are bad mouthing us due to the fact that a person said they thought they were overcharged.And you did not find out all the details of the work scope? Yes thats correct.

Basically you have no idea if she purchased the extended warranty for five years and a free return trip? Did she inform you of the free work that was included with our inspection? No.Did you walk around the clients home to inspect for any upcoming problems she may encounter in the next year? no

What extras did our sales techncian perform while they were there? I don't know.
What are you basing the overcharge on?The work I did( my competitor)Did she complain about your charge? Yes.

Let me get this straight a client complained about us overcharging ,had you do additional work and complained to you about your price?Yes. You are a much lower priced company aren't you? Yes You can keep that client if you want.I am really not interested in the 1 percenters.
Now this person happened to be dressed in jeans with holes,a dirty tshirt, tennis shoes and hair messed up. A non professional

We must consider the source when people bad mouth us. We must understand they have no understanding of the sales process.Worse yet they have no understanding of what is in the best interest of the client. They are jealous of your process and earning potential.

When I am engaging a client who brings up potential rumors I think to myself ,I am standing in front of this client who has heard rumors yet trusts me enough to have me standing in front of them. They do not believe the rumors and it is a question asking for more information. - by rich34232
How do I get this guy to stop? I haven't done anything yet but I'd like to give the guy a piece of my mind. annyd;
Thomas

Call this guy and invite him to lunch...when you do this you are going to have to be VERY PROFESSIONAL! You tell him some of the things you have been hearing and you felt that obviously he feels you must have done something that has upset him at some point and you felt the best way to handle it was to talk about it man to man. Professional to Professional.
Believe me, when you do this it will be like letting the air out of a balloon. If you reciprocate by saying hateful things back it is just going to add fuel to the fire; it will make you look just like him and that is the last thing you want. You have got to stop it at the source. Let me know how it turns out. Remember...as hard as it will be you have got to maintain your composure and be firm but nice.

MP - by MPrince
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.