Home > Direct Marketing > Mailers and Flyers - What should they say?

Mailers and Flyers - What should they say?

I've been sending direct mail to a few subdivisions for a couple of months now trying to get listings and the results leave a lot to be desired. I've been using oversize postcards that give eight good reasons to list a home with me. That isn't working. What should they say? - by realtor
I've been sending direct mail to a few subdivisions for a couple of months now trying to get listings and the results leave a lot to be desired. I've been using oversize postcards that give eight good reasons to list a home with me. That isn't working. What should they say?
This doesn't directly answer your question, but here are just a few thoughts:

1. For short term results (you want to find people who are ready to list now and interested enough in your value proposition to contact you - but those people will be far and few between). This approach is less expensive but also less productive.

2. For long term results (you want to do multiple mailing to the same list - say 8-18 times per year - so that potential prospects become familiar with your name and you build a brand identity in your market). This is more expensive and more productive.

The best to you! - by Skip Anderson
Thanks Skip. If you were in my shoes what message would you put on the mailer? - by realtor
For a message I'd put together a unique value proposition that tells the prospect what's in it for them and differentiates you from your competition. For a direct response I'd put a form at the bottom where the prospect can request more information by completing and mailing or faxing back the form to your office. - by Houston
Thanks Skip. If you were in my shoes what message would you put on the mailer?
I like Houston's suggestions.

Also, here's a thought: there's one realtor in my market that puts a recipe on every mailer. My wife and I entertain a lot and I love to cook, so more than one has ended up hanging around for quite a while. That would be more for the long-term kind of marketing where you're trying to develop brand identity over a period of time.

The best to you! - by Skip Anderson
Thank you Skip and Houston. I'll keep working on this. thmbp2; - by realtor
I would say it probably is less about what the flyer says and more about the target market you are sending it to.

It takes more time and a little more money but if you can really identify a specific market- (i.e. the people that are most likely in the "need" phase) you will spend less overall because you won't be sending info to people that aren't in the market.

Where are you getting your mailing addresses? Are you just sending it to everyone in a particular zip code or are you getting a mailing list from people who have looked for houses in that price range on Realtor.com or something like that???? Chances are if they are looking for houses they are thinking about selling theirs so you might be able to get their listing.... - by Tabetha16
1. Headline with a BIG Benefit.

2. Then a BIG promise (truthful but at the limit of believability)

3. Then a call to action like: 'call this number before 6pm on Friday and listen to a recorded message to learn about a better way to sell your home' (or similar)

Good luck - by helisell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.