Home > Presentation > Who is your sales presentation about?

Who is your sales presentation about?

Is it about you or your prospect? - by bluenote
Is it about you or your prospect?
Assuming that you're talking about a presentation vs. a needs assessment, I believe the presentation is about your product/service, but within the larger context of the prospect's specific needs. - by Skip Anderson
I believe the real question is whether a presentation about your (the seller's) company is EVER appropriate.

I coach salespeople to only give a presentation (or a demo) as a way to answer specific questions posed during the sales process - or - as a way to counter competitive "mines" that may be or have already been laid. If you start every sales presentation with your company story, you're focused on your needs and not the prospect's.

If you're meeting with low level prospect contacts, they will love to waste your time viewing your 75-slide company story and product presentation. You get a chance to demonstrate your acting ability. They get information they feel they require to "evaluate" you. I mean, they don't have anything better to do, right?

Now, when you're meeting with a decision-maker or another powerful and influential executive, they could care less about your company story or watching a canned presentation. Sure, they want to know they are talking to a solid, reliable company and you need to finds ways to communicate your strength. But they are really only focused on two things - your understanding of their business problem and your ability to provide a competitive solution.

That's the only reason to conduct a presentation.

For example, two years ago, I walked up to the booth of a prospective client at a major trade show. While waiting for the CEO to finish with a meeting, I asked one of the salespeople, "How's the show going?" His response was, "Great. I've got my demo down to six minutes." Right then I knew I had a good opportunity for a sales training engagement. If this guy's only focus was how fast he could show the same five or seven things about his complex and costly product to a wide variety of booth visitors, this company had needs. I was right. - by jcundiff
My sales conversation centers on the forces in play when selling a home (Supply/Demand, Differentiation, Pricing, Marketing, Property, etc.) and how they relate to the prospective client's situation. I get asked about and cover the brokerage fee and where our buyers come from but usually I don't have to say much about myself or the company. - by AZBroker
I get asked about and cover the brokerage fee and where our buyers come from but usually I don't have to say much about myself or the company.
You don't use a company talk? - by Thomas
There was no question in my mind that I wouldn't get long winded answers to this simple question.

The simple answer is.. It's about YOU.

Anything less and your stuck in the battle of the remainder of the 99% of sales people and sales trainers. - by bluenote
There was no question in my mind that I wouldn't get long winded answers to this simple question.
??? I don't understand what you mean.

Anything less and your stuck in the battle of the remainder of the 99% of sales people and sales trainers.
You're saying the sales presentation should be about the salesperson? - by Marcus
Anything less and your stuck in the battle of the remainder of the 99% of sales people and sales trainers.
I'm not sure what you mean, bluenote. Could you please elaborate just a bit? Thanks. - by Skip Anderson
??? I don't understand what you mean.

You're saying the sales presentation should be about the salesperson?
Without question. - by bluenote
I'm not sure what you mean, bluenote. Could you please elaborate just a bit? Thanks.
See above. - by bluenote

I would say you have this reversed Bluenote. I would say that too many salespeople focus their presentation on themselves or their companies (seller centered) instead of focusing on how a recommended solutions satisfies a prospective buyer's wants/needs. (buyer centered). - by Houston
Q. Why are we in business?

A. To go to the bank everyday.

This is not the 1950's. There is no benefit to us as salespeople to build rapport or to try to bond with a prospect. Nobody cares what the weather is, who won the golf tournament or what the score of last night's baseball game was. This is nonsense.

People are far more sophisticated today and they want to trust and do business with you.

How do you earn this trust?

By being the absolute professional and qualifying up front. This should be done within the first 90 seconds of your conversation.

Does the prospect have the need - the greed - the character to make the purchase or commitment - and most importantly, the money to pay for your product or service.

How do we get away with this method?

By having more people than we can possibly talk to in a single day. EVERYDAY!

This is how the money is made folks. I read all kinds of sales books and attend all kinds of seminars... I agree with about 80% of it at most.

The bottom line is, there's a basic philosophy to sales and the above is the formula for what it takes.

It's always about the money folks..... IT'S ABOUT YOU! - by bluenote
I would say you have this reversed Bluenote. I would say that too many salespeople focus their presentation on themselves or their companies (seller centered) instead of focusing on how a recommended solutions satisfies a prospective buyer's wants/needs. (buyer centered).
So what's your plan Houston?

Of course you have to have a product or service that meets your highly targeted prospect's needs... Why would you be in front of them or on the phone with them to begin with?

The top 1% of salespeople do not waste their time dancing around with prospects. - by bluenote
Having a sales presentation that is Buyer centered doesn't have anything to do with bonding or rapport if that is what you're saying and there is much more to building trust than merely qualifying up front. Also, focusing on the money, you, is a common pitfall of selling. - by Houston
Having a sales presentation that is Buyer centered doesn't have anything to do with bonding or rapport if that is what you're saying and there is much more to building trust than merely qualifying up front. Also, focusing on the money, you, is a common pitfall of selling.
Of course it's not about focusing on the money. That's not my point. You and every other real sales person knows that and money doesn't even cross their mind during their presentation.

I'd like to think you payed attention to the other points and philosophies of my post to understand where I'm coming form. - by bluenote
So what's your plan Houston?

Of course you have to have a product or service that meets your highly targeted prospect's needs... Why would you be in front of them or on the phone with them to begin with?

The top 1% of salespeople do not waste their time dancing around with prospects.
I didn't see this post earlier so I'll reply now. My plan for a presentation is to demonstrate my capabilities in a way that is Buyer centered which is not the same as a presentation focused on me or the company I work for. - by Houston
Of course it's not about focusing on the money. That's not my point. You and every other real sales person knows that and money doesn't even cross their mind during their presentation.

I'd like to think you payed attention to the other points and philosophies of my post to understand where I'm coming form.
You suggested that without question the sales presentation should be about the salesperson. You also suggested "having more people than we can possibly talk to in a single day. EVERYDAY!" I'm on board with having an abundance of high probability prospects but I don't see the connection with that and the presentation being about the salesperson. - by Houston
Awesome! We're on the same page now.

Now that you have an abundance of high prob prospects in front of you, wouldn't it make perfect sense to weed out the % of prospects who are not prepared to business with you today?

Of course there are certain industries that this doesn't apply to but Geez man, why else are we in sales? - by bluenote
Awesome! We're on the same page now.

Now that you have an abundance of high prob prospects in front of you, wouldn't it make perfect sense to weed out the % of prospects who are not prepared to business with you today?
I'm on board with that but I do my weeding before the presentation. - by Houston
I'm on board with that but I do my weeding before the presentation.
Of course we do our weeding before our presentation. That's the point.

The idea of having an abundance of highly targeted prospects who are interested in your product or service is the 1st step.

The next step is to qualify immediately. If they aren't prepared to do business with you today, get rid of them. They are a waste of your life. - by bluenote
Of course we do our weeding before our presentation. That's the point.

The idea of having an abundance of highly targeted prospects who are interested in your product or service is the 1st step.

The next step is to qualify immediately. If they aren't prepared to do business with you today, get rid of them. They are a waste of your life.
Where does the presentation fit into this? - by Houston
What do you mean where does it fit in? Are you just playing games here?

It fits in after you qualify them and know they have the need or greed to make the purchase along with the money to pay for it.

If you continue on with your presentation or go to meet with someone without knowing the check is in hand or that contract is going to be signed you fall into the the category of belonging to the lower 99% of the sales spectrum. - by bluenote
Of course there are many people who won't agree with this philosophy which is why they struggle and wonder what's going on in their sales world.

This is true not only for salespeople but for sales trainers and consultants as well.

There are plenty of self proclaimed sales training "gurus" on this site. They fall into the lower % of the spectrum as well.

They are on this site for one reason only and that is to market their services. Some stick around and some take off. Do you think they lend all their "knowledge" because they are nice guys? lol, c'mon now.

Of all the consultants/sales trainers (and there have been dozens) that I have seen on this site since day one, there have been only two that are the real deal. - by bluenote
What do you mean where does it fit in?
You said the sales presentation should be about the salesperson. How does that fit in with the idea of working with these high probability prospects? I don't see how the two are connected. Yes, work with high probability prospects but why should the sales presentation be about the salesperson (Seller Centered) instead of demonstrating capabilities (Buyer Centered)? - by Houston
You don't use a company talk?
If someone asks me about the brokerage or my background I'll respond with answers that have been previously thought out but I don't incorporate a company talk into my sales presentation.

Ouch! ;om

Of course there are many people who won't agree with this philosophy which is why they struggle and wonder what's going on in their sales world.
From reading your posts I get the impression that you'd consider Jacques Werth (High Probability Selling) the real deal and I'd agree. I would be surprised however if Jacques agreed with your assertion that the sales presentation should be about the salesperson.

You said the sales presentation should be about the salesperson. How does that fit in with the idea of working with these high probability prospects? I don't see how the two are connected. Yes, work with high probability prospects but why should the sales presentation be about the salesperson (Seller Centered) instead of demonstrating capabilities (Buyer Centered)?
Where is the connection bluenote? - by AZBroker
The focus of this thread drifted off because that's where the conversation lead itself.

I do believe that the presentation is about is about me and not the prospect. I do what I do to get paid. I'm not out there to make friends, spread the word or save the world. I'm a salesman, it's the only skill I have and all I've ever done. It's what keeps me warm, dry, fed and able to enjoy my choice of luxuries in life. I do not scam or rip people off. I run an ethical advertising business and employ a staff that is able to reach their personal goals and support their families from the company I have established.

I speak my mind because that's the way I am. If you like what I have to say, great. If not, that's all right also. I'm not here to offend or insult anyone. I have learned and picked up a lot of great ideas from this forum and shared what I have learned along the way.

If I feel that 99% of sales people are lost and that I agree with less than 80% of what the avg. sales trainers have to say, then so be it. This is my opinion.

Regarding the original topic of this post, yes, I absolutely believe the presentation is about me and not the prospect. This doesn't mean that I don't listen to them and give them the best service and product that will fit their needs. Of course I do... How else would I stay in business? I work with them and build an on going business relationship which ultimately leads to upselling and future advertising with me. I have developed a system that works best for me and what I do.

You mentioned Jacques Werth, AZ Broker. I have explored his work for the past year and a half since I've learned of him, I have read his books and I admire his accomplishments.

HPS does not fit into my spectrum because we do not sell high ticket items. However, I do apply many of his philosophies and HPS/HPP principles in what we do. The results are astonishing. Is he 100% correct in everything he has to say? Probably not, who is? But if he didn't know what he was talking about he wouldn't have built the international empire he has, his resume wouldn't read like it does and he wouldn't be retired 10x over. As a student of his philosophies, I can testify that they have increased my income, my employees incomes and my company's bottom line tremendously since I've learned of HPS.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't believe that Jacques Werth would disagree with my assertion that the sales presentation is ultimately the salesperson and all about going to the bank. - by bluenote
Regarding the original topic of this post, yes, I absolutely believe the presentation is about me and not the prospect.
Hi bluenote. If the presentation is about you then wouldn't the whole sales process from prospecting to close be about you? - by Calvin
Hi bluenote. If the presentation is about you then wouldn't the whole sales process from prospecting to close be about you?
I'd like to offer up an opinion on that, and Bluenote and others can also...

For what it's worth, the needs and wants discussion is all about the prospect. And the presentation of product/selling solutions is all about the product or solution or provider as long as it's given within the context of the specific prospect's needs.

The best to you! - by Skip Anderson
For what it's worth, the needs and wants discussion is all about the prospect. And the presentation of product/selling solutions is all about the product or solution or provider as long as it's given within the context of the specific prospect's needs.
I agree Skip. My thinking is that bluenote is talking about something else. - by Calvin
Guys,

Here's an outline of my process and why I say it's all about us and not the prospect.

As a sales organization, it is our daily objective to only present those who are ready to do business with us today. (This is about us)

My marketing strategies put more inquiries from highly targeted prospects in front of my staff and I then we can possibly speak with in a single day, everyday. (This is about us)

If the prospect doesn't have the need or greed, the character to make the commitment and the money to pay for it, we do not waste our time with them. This is the qualifying phase of what we do.. up front. If they do not qualify, we politely and professionally get rid of them. (This is about us)

Once qualified, they are now high probability prospects.

They are still in front of us because:

1. The trust is there from both sides
2. We have what they want
3. They are prepared to make the commitment

For the sake of this conversation there's no need to go into any detail of our actual presentation. I will sum it up by saying things don't change during our presentation. We are focused on professionally presenting our clients with the best product and service solution that will bring us the most profit. We then get paid for it. (Again, all about us)

There's no loss of respect or any type of distrust on either side by how we do things. My cancellation rate is next to nothing and we have an extremely high rate of referrals, re-orders, up-selling and after sales. - by bluenote
I get your point Bluenote. We were talking about two different things. - by Houston
Hi bluenote. If the presentation is about you then wouldn't the whole sales process from prospecting to close be about you?
Absolutely Calvin. Every step of the way! - by bluenote
I get your point Bluenote. We were talking about two different things.
At one point the conversation went in a different direction from the topic, Houston. My fault. - by bluenote
Of all the consultants/sales trainers (and there have been dozens) that I have seen on this site since day one, there have been only two that are the real deal.
Strong words Bluenote. Inquiring minds want to know. Name names. - by jcundiff
Strong words Bluenote. Inquiring minds want to know. Name names.
I'm not here to personally attack anyone. - by bluenote
No problem. Just curious. - by jcundiff

I'm not sure that the members here knew that they were being asked to take a quiz.

You could have stated your opinion earlier for all to discern---agree with, or not agree with.

There is a format here for surveys.

I disagree with your "simple answer" but I might risk longwindedness to elaborate. I do like the others contributions. Food for thought--all. - by Joe Closer
Having a sales presentation that is Buyer centered doesn't have anything to do with bonding or rapport if that is what you're saying and there is much more to building trust than merely qualifying up front. Also, focusing on the money, you, is a common pitfall of selling.
Well said. And shortwinded. - by Joe Closer
I'd like to offer up an opinion on that, and Bluenote and others can also...

The best to you!
"Needs and wants discussion" is not a fixed principle of selling. Some believe it is, and perhaps center their process around it. - by Joe Closer
"Needs and wants discussion" is not a fixed principle of selling. Some believe it is, and perhaps center their process around it.
Joe Closer, please define "fixed principle of selling".

Then please share with us what you believe fixed principles of selling are.

Thanks. - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.