Home > Resistance > Rebuttals

Rebuttals

1. How would you rebut "I'm not interested."?

2. When do you stop giving out rebuttals?

3. Are rebuttals supposed to be scripted? - by eugene_biggs
1. How would you rebut "I'm not interested."?
If the prospect says he or she isn't interested there's not much to rebut [prove to be false or incorrect ] but I would ask for clarification. - by Houston
" . . . is this something you want . . .?"

"Nope!"

"Okay - bye!"

Rebuttals are for debates and court rooms, not selling.

MitchM - by MitchM
If the prospect says he or she isn't interested there's not much to rebut [prove to be false or incorrect ] but I would ask for clarification.
But there are customers who say they're not interested even if they don't have any idea of what the product is. So would you say it's okay to give out a rebuttal for that certain scenario? - by eugene_biggs
" . . . is this something you want . . .?"

"Nope!"

"Okay - bye!"

Rebuttals are for debates and court rooms, not selling.

MitchM

So how do you call an answer to a customer's objection? - by eugene_biggs
I just don't spend much time in rebuttal or anything that's to do with over coming objections.

Story: when I began my business which is in nutritionals in direct selling/network marketing eleven years ago, I began to study: over coming objections, mirroring behavior, linguistic techniques, closing techniques. I was becoming a student of sales for the first time in my life and I was proud of myself.

AND I began to learn everything I could about nutrition - this and that combination of this and that, variations of this and that, studies and trials on this and that - I was becoming a NutritionalLaymanExpert.

THEN fully armed with a head full of ideas I attacked the field and began prospecting like a mad man - like my hair was on fire. In that attact on life I debated, argued, mirrored, rebutted, overcame objections AND applied multiple closing techniques.

Simultaniously I executed a direct mail campaign mailing two dollar packets of brochures, CDs - you name it - to people at random, people I knew, and even a purchased list of so called "prospects."

A year and a half latter I had lost money and time and confidence and self esteem - I was a looser. Big bummer.

That's when I began to listen to what I'd been told all along, I read a book that began to help me discard most of my baggage, and over the next few years got my sanity back. Success was also coming along.

Everyone's got a story to tell and that is part of mine. Today I don't rebut or overcome - I've rebutted and over come all that in myself - so I don't need to do it any more.

It's just not part of my life and I still make sales.

MitchM - by MitchM
But there are customers who say they're not interested even if they don't have any idea of what the product is. So would you say it's okay to give out a rebuttal for that certain scenario?
If your definition of rebuttal is the same as mine [prove to be false or incorrect] then No.

Getting an objection up front like that could be a sign that your not working with a qualified prospect or that you haven't secured attention or interest. Why do you think that objection is coming up? - by Houston
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.