Home > Personal Development > Hit The Bottom

Hit The Bottom

Typically people have to hit the bottom - miserably fail at whatever they've attempted to do - to seek help. Assuming two people have hit the bottom and one from day one seeks help, and assuming each is equally motivated, teachable, and has the same time to put into his/her recovery, how many weeks would you estimate or do you know will it take that person to be on the right track and how many months until that person is moving along at a very acceptable rate of success?

Also, are there other important factors I miss? And, does recovery time have anything to do with the system being learned?

MitchM - by MitchM
Typically people have to hit the bottom - miserably fail at whatever they've attempted to do - to seek help. Assuming two people have hit the bottom and one from day one seeks help, and assuming each is equally motivated, teachable, and has the same time to put into his/her recovery, how many weeks would you estimate or do you know will it take that person to be on the right track and how many months until that person is moving along at a very acceptable rate of success?

Also, are there other important factors I miss? And, does recovery time have anything to do with the system being learned?

MitchM
Interesting topic Mitch.

My take is if two people hit bottom and only one person seeks help from day one, then they are not equally motivated.

The beauty about sales is that it doesn't take weeks or months to recover from the rut that "you've" created for yourself.

You can change this in the same day. If you recognize that you are, in fact, in a rut.. then you have enough of an understanding about sales to turn yourself around if you simply change your attitude and get yourself back on track.

If the system that your company requires you to follow is against your belief, then again, it takes a matter of minutes to walk into your bosses office and tell him or her you're gone.

Sales is an independence that gives the small percentage of people that actually get it to do as they chose and write their own paycheck.

As far as learning a new system, it is in my opinion that the true pros work a basic system and sales philosophy that they know is successful and it's a new product or industry that may take them a short period of time to understand.

There is no recovery time for a true pro. - by bluenote
Speed of recovery has so many specifics to the individual mostly attached to thought habits. How much of a quick recovery was it (or will it be) can't be seen other than the external results - but what led up to them?

Not that I reread my originial question I see it's not really much of a question except for the last paragraph - how can one know speed of recovery and what considerations rally come to play?

It would seem that the simpler to learn a new system, the higher the motivation to change, and intensity of past habits that have to be deleted are the important factors - even simplicity becomes complex when old habits are controlling decision making and obscuring clarity.

Turning that inward and looking for external signs of personal recovery from negative habits and taking just a moment right now to reflect on this topic, you immediately run into yourself holding up a brick wall more than a mirror - there's the first obsticle.

MitchM - by MitchM
I think it depends on why they hit the bottom.

I myself feel as if I am at lifes bottom now. but it took me years to get here. Some if it is just a slow but ever growing realization that thigns arent right nor have they ever been right for me. Naturally I just turned 40 so I suppose thats when crisis tends to hit.

U mention weeks or months to get out of such a bottom?? hehe..woudlnt THAT be nice.

Seems we are talking about 2 different things...a sales slump versus a life slump.

What gets me...and I suppose counseling is is in order....but it always seems that whatever I learn migh thave helped me if I learned it 5 years ago...but its too late now. Like I COULD have been succesful if I started learning some thigns I am learning now, 10 years ago.

I guess what I am saying is that once u "fall behind the curve" of life....I am having a hard time seeing how one catches up.

Im 40, never married, no network of friends, no money, beater car, rent an apartment.

I have an ok personality and quick wit, nice looks, etc but I just struggle hard with any kind of self confidence thus I dont believe people will like me. (see the "mindset" thread).

I come from the typical dysfunctional family on both sides/alcoholic father/divorced parents background.

So its well and good for me to see those thigns...but its hard for the zebra to lose its stripes so to speak - by Fitness Trainer
So its well and good for me to see those thigns...but its hard for the zebra to lose its stripes so to speak
It's been said here before that change starts in an instant... the instant you decide to change and take action on that decision.

From what I've seen a large percentage of people don't take action until they are in crisis mode which is usually very close to some kind of dire consequence.

How long it would take to get off the bottom depends on how bad you wanted off the bottom. - by Mikey
FTrainer - don't think of behind or in front of any curve - that won't help and it's a negative measurement anyway. Think more of what dynamics in your life right now have to be faced without delusion. Think about what you want right now - people have made turn arounds at 50, 60, 70 and older. Forget the past.

Life slump and business slump mirror each other - the dynamics are the same, the challenges are the same. What I see positive about your posts is that you are confronting yourself - that's the first biggest step anyone can take.

MitchM - by MitchM
yeah...my failures at personal training are the exact same as my general failure in life. total freaking lack of people skills sort of brought on by lack of self esteem and self belief.

The same issues that lead to not having any dates in high school, never bein gmarried etc..also are the exact thigns that lead to issues "selling myself". Its the same exact problems.

Like, sure, ive had plenty of girlfriends before....but ti was sort of always by accident or they approached me, lol. Its sort of the same with clients...when I get one its sort of by accident.

yeah, talking about it is not a problem. Hard self examination is never a problem for me.

CHANGING anything is a major problem.

Like in my gym situation now, people have sort of known me for a while now. Its like im typecast...the role is set. Others win, I lose. I am in the background.

Even if my own self belief HAS grown somewhat, if others still see me as a loser then that is the reality I face

Besides..seems like when I finally take one step forward, the guys who were ahead of me have taken 3 in that same time so I end up 2 MORE steps behind, lol - by Fitness Trainer
From what I've seen a large percentage of people don't take action until they are in crisis mode which is usually very close to some kind of dire consequence.
I can agree. When the negative consequences of inaction can no longer be tolerated most people will take action. - by Jolly Roger
Not talking action when disaster and devistation is close at hand is another study all together - delusional thinking, not knowing how, fear based immobility, ignorance, unknown cirumstances.

Why has any one of us been slow to act at times - poor judgment, denial. I started a thread with no hard absolute answers.

MitchM - by MitchM
Ego « Prev | Next » fear
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.