Home > Management > Higher Management Improvements

Higher Management Improvements

While most people in this forum are looking to improve their sales skills and learn new techniques, I'm currently looking to learn about Higher Management and how to deal with the beasty creatures.

It seems that a lot of it comes with experience, learning what to say, where to say it and how to say it.

This is a recent focal point because I'm at a turning point in my career where I'm dealing with corporate and high business figures more then ever.

Does anyone have any books, articles, threads, audios... or even personal knowledge to share.

Thanks to a recent run-in with 'the client', I've had to rethink my approach in my meetings.

What I've learnt so far;

* There is a time to challenge which is often behind closed doors or out of public eye. I might be right, but proving a boss wrong in front of others gets me no where.

* Rework how I pitch my ideas/challenges/discussion. Speaking with passion can be intimidating so vocal control is a must.

I'm only 23 years old, so I don't have this experience behind me... but I won't be bitten twice! - by MrCharisma
While most people in this forum are looking to improve their sales skills and learn new techniques, I'm currently looking to learn about Higher Management and how to deal with the beasty creatures.

It seems that a lot of it comes with experience, learning what to say, where to say it and how to say it.

This is a recent focal point because I'm at a turning point in my career where I'm dealing with corporate and high business figures more then ever.

Does anyone have any books, articles, threads, audios... or even personal knowledge to share.

Thanks to a recent run-in with 'the client', I've had to rethink my approach in my meetings.

What I've learnt so far;

* There is a time to challenge which is often behind closed doors or out of public eye. I might be right, but proving a boss wrong in front of others gets me no where.

* Rework how I pitch my ideas/challenges/discussion. Speaking with passion can be intimidating so vocal control is a must.

I'm only 23 years old, so I don't have this experience behind me... but I won't be bitten twice!
Hi Mr. C.

Could you tell us more about how you've been "bitten"? - by Skip Anderson
Hi Mr. C.

Could you tell us more about how you've been "bitten"?
Long story short

I received a visit from 'the client' last Wednesday, she was with a co-worker within her department and seemed to want to show him around my woods... for whatever reason it may have been.

During her visit she stated a fact which wasn't true, something that we deal with all the time with our customers and I corrected her.

Embarrassed or defending herself, she corrected me and had a few extra words to say... which I responded with til it become a somewhat heated discussion that I ended it with "I don't want to fight".

This was taken that it was a fight and she was unimpressed to say the least that I'd challenge her in front of a co-worker... however my understanding what that she was wrong and I wanted to correct her before she mis-informed others or potentially showed she didn't know her content toward her senior management.

*this isn't a long story short version now, is it*

What I should have done is correct her alone, so that it'd be more calm and she wouldn't feel embarrassed or threatened in front of a co-worker.

What I also should have done, is let her win the battle while with her co-workers. While she was incorrect, I really had nothing to gain by blowing it up the way it became.

The confrontation some how got back to her senior management and question marks were raised if we all were on the same page. The situation to my understanding is disarmed after an email and well as some discussions with her and her management... showing that I was wrong and that what occurred was an incident and not an attitude problem.

The situation itself wasn't as big as you may believe or gather but the challenge could be taken the wrong way since the lady I challenge's job isn't as secure.

I was in the wrong, and despite being correct, the way I handled the situation was poor. So I have learnt, but I'd also like to work now on Higher Management Skills so my future dealings with bosses will be smooth. - by MrCharisma
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.