Home > Personal Selling > Sell-ing Suckz

Sell-ing Suckz

I purposely changed the title by one letter (plus added a hyphen). This so as not to give the title any link JUICE on Google (it is SUCKS not SUCKZ).

Here is what I posted this thread for;

(1) Does the title of the book annoy you?

(2) Does it hurt our profession?

(3) Is it 'going too far'?

We are entitled to our opinions, as these are legitimate questions. Therefore, this is not TORTUOUS INTERFERENCE (in other words, the author, who we will not name, has an expectation to make a profit from the creation of his intellectual property but we also have a write to say that we think it hurts our profession) if done correctly with class and a sound reason.

Keep in mind, if you think it does hurt sales, we do not want to mention the author's name or other titles in the thread. In fact, though I cannot speak for Jeff Blackwell, l the owner of this forum, I am certain he will agree and edit any attempt at promotion by the inclusion of such.

So, if you have an opinion, one way or another, leave out this kind of linking information, keep it classy and we can chat away about this abomination (I guess you can see what my opinion is).

One way or another - opinions? - by Gold Calling
Keep in mind, if you think it does hurt sales, ...
In the thread above I stated "hurt sales". By this I meant "hurt the sales profession". I wish it to be clear. Does the title give you a negative impression of what we do as sales professionals?

Honest and classy opinions only please. - by Gold Calling
Tom Wolfe has made a living penning articles and books with unusual titles, spellings and made up stuff.

The title doesn't annoy me nor does it attract me. I'm indifferent to it.

I wouldn't say it would hurt our profession.

I wouldn't say it's going too far.

My tastes would be to use standard spelling and grammar along with standard punctuation -but who knows what will grab attention.

MitchM - by MitchM
The author did use standard spelling and grammar. This was changed so it would not link to a "title search" was done online at Google or Yahoo. That is all.

Anyway, thank you for your opinion. - by Gold Calling
Okay, I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

"S******* S****" wouldn't attract me. I don't like it!

MitchM - by MitchM
I am unclear Mitch, you don't like selling? Or you don't like the name? - by Gold Calling
I'm sorry for the mess ups, GC.

No, I love selling - I love doing what I do call it what anyone wants it's about finding people who want what I'm offering, etc. you know the business I'm in, GC.

It's the title I said I didn't care for - I also said I'm indifferent to the title - BUT in an age of flip-flops it could become a best seller. It's got a hook to it, if it's marketed well, has something to say a segment of people want, it might be a great seller.

Does the title have anything to it that might hurt our profession? I don't think it does.

MitchM - by MitchM
So, you don't care for the title. Okay, understood.

It bothers you but it seems contrary to say that it is then not hurtful to the industry. Again, I am not nitpicking here ... just wondering if you see a connection.

Thanks Mitch. - by Gold Calling
I don't care for the title - the subtitle makes it more palatable BUT that's just a matter of taste for one individual. Right? I see the connection you're making and it's a valid one, GC. The contradiction comes in my uncertainty whether or not the title alone would be enough to hurt "the image" of the industry and hence the industry.

I'm not sure as I've see all kinds of things that seem contradictions or opposites to my thoughts and tastes become icons of something accepted by masses of people.

We obviously need more input here.

MitchM - by MitchM
I don't care for the title or the concept. I wonder who the target market is for this book... - by Skip Anderson
Interesting Comment Skip.

Sure would be great if others would chip in here. The topic is what do you think of this book title (I changed the title slightly for obvious reasons)?

Does it potentially hurt the sales profession?

I suppose all sales professionals could start a class action and/or Tortuous Interference lawsuit over the title alone. But the point is not to start lawsuits but to act maturely and just record what you think honestly. Please, help us understand. Does this "hurt" .... ?

With 154 views of this thread, assuming some looked at it repeatedly, we can assume 50+ unique views. With 50 people on this thread and only two people with opinions ... ??? - by Gold Calling
That title paints a negative image of selling don't you think? If that title doesn't hurt the industry it sure doesn't help it. - by realtor
Very well put realtor. Diplomatic and on point.

Anyone disagree or agree that this title could hurt or profession?

Please keep in mind, no one will jump all over you if you disagree, you have my guarantee of that. We are looking for honest opinions only ... and hopefully not from those who are competitive authors (for obvious reasons once again). - by Gold Calling
Anyone disagree or agree that this title could hurt or profession?
I agree.

[Comment removed by moderator.] - by Thomas
I have not read the book so I cannot comment Thomas.

Maybe it is taking advantage if those who would whine. Hard to say.

Anyone else;

Does the title of the book potentially hurt the sales profession? - by Gold Calling
i agree the title can hurt the sale profession. - by BobSales
5 disagree with the title choice, make that 6 if you count me.

0 agree with it.

Come on, share with us whether you think this book title is potentially bad for our profession or not.

Thank you. - by Gold Calling
I have read the book and others by the author and I enjoy his books. I don't believe his intention was to hurt the selling industry nor do I believe that the title of one book will change the course of the "selling" industry. We have more to be concerned with in our field than the title of one book. But, I think he should have used better wording. When my wife saw the book on my desk, she didn't like the title, but not because it might hurt the selling industry. - by mcaldwell
We have more to be concerned with in our field than the title of one book.
Clearly. I could not agree more. But how are we too enter into such a discussion on the forum if we cannot establish cornerstones ... what is wrong with our profession?

Is not the perception both within selling and of sales people, one of the major concerns we should all have? And, does this title add to our tarnished image to at least some degree?

I love your post because you obviously respect the author, which is good as we have not intent on this forum to put his efforts down, but at the same time say this;

But, I think he should have used better wording. When my wife saw the book on my desk, she didn't like the title, but not because it might hurt the selling industry.
If you wife doesn't like it, perhaps because she is proud of you and does not like the fact that what you do was purported that way, isn't that proof that it does hurt our industry in general, at least to some degree?

Thanks again mcaldwell for your valuable contribution.

Whatever the author said within the book, no doubt very many great points, I vote 100% in favor that he stated his case in print without using such a controversial title. While I recognize as a master direct marketer, one who has been on the cover of a north American wide magazine as a result of that skill, that the title alone will sell books, was it really worth it? Isn't the potential damage to our profession overwhelmingly more important than a few cases of sold books or a few hundred cases for that matter?

Anyway, let's stay on point ... anyone else? - by Gold Calling
I'd say that people often make decisions or judgments from limited information. They judge a book by its cover so to speak. Leave a sign on the side of the road that says "X Sucks" and it won't take long before people start to believe it. - by Houston
Off topic posts removed by moderator. - by Admin-Asst
I had to think about what you posted Houston. I was not sure if you meant we were judging it by its cover ... but I think I understand what you mean and if I am right I must agree.

Is it that you are saying that this title, if seen enough is accepted as truth by those susceptible to do so? - by Gold Calling
Is it that you are saying that this title, if seen enough is accepted as truth by those susceptible to do so?
That is what I was saying. Even more so if the information is coming from someone perceived as an expert. - by Houston
That is what I was saying. Even more so if the information is coming from someone perceived as an expert.

Wholeheartedly agreed. - by Gold Calling
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.