Home > Approach > life insurance

life insurance

I just got into the life insurance business. The company I'm in provides us with leads. The nitch is home mortgage protection insurance. I have a lot of questions. When I'm calling the leads some of the objections I get are- Can you mail me something? Which is kind of funny because the lead is usually them responding to direct mail. Another is - Can you give me a quote over the phone? Can you call me next week? Do you have to come to my house? And - I'm not interested. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. - by usakr
I just got into the life insurance business. The company I'm in provides us with leads. The nitch is home mortgage protection insurance. I have a lot of questions. When I'm calling the leads some of the objections I get are- Can you mail me something? Which is kind of funny because the lead is usually them responding to direct mail. Another is - Can you give me a quote over the phone? Can you call me next week? Do you have to come to my house? And - I'm not interested. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Good question. What do you say when you call your prospects? - by Skip Anderson
usakr;

Skip was right to ask what you are saying. You may be causing some of your own objections without realizing it.

In general, assumption is your best attitude. Like, when they ask "Do you really have to come to my house?" An effective answer would be something like; "There are several reasons why I may not be able to do the best for you that I can unless I do come out to see you. And most of those reasons no one could guess at without both seeing the house and asking you specific questions. Look, ___________, I am not trying to come there and put some pressure tactic on you to buy. The goal is to make sure you are informed so that you can make the best decision for you. So, beleive me, yes a meet at your house is imperative and no, you will not have to throw me out to get rid of me after I share with you what will be the best recommendations for you ... Now, would tonight at 7:30 PM work for me to come there or would you prefer me to come by on Thursday evening at the same time?"

Dealing with the objection is what makes you successful. When you hear an objection it is GOOD, not bad. Because if they were not interested they would not object !!!!!!!!!!

Objections are good things. They indicate a level of interest but in addition, the prospect simply does not have all the information needed to understand that they need to make the decision, in this case deciding to agree to the "action plan" (a meeting).

When it happens, be happy! - by Gold Calling
I say " Hello may I speak to Rick. Hi Rick this is Ulysses calling from the mortgage protection group. I'm calling in reference to the letter you sent in regarding mortgage protection. Do you remember sending us that letter? WFA Well I'm the agent who works your area and I was wondering what time of the day usually works better for you morning, afternoon or evening? WFA O.K I have an opening at 6 or 7 which one do you prefer? O.K. I'll see you tomorrow at 6. - by usakr
I say " Hello may I speak to Rick. Hi Rick this is Ulysses calling from the mortgage protection group. I'm calling in reference to the letter you sent in regarding mortgage protection. Do you remember sending us that letter? WFA Well I'm the agent who works your area and I was wondering what time of the day usually works better for you morning, afternoon or evening? WFA O.K I have an opening at 6 or 7 which one do you prefer? O.K. I'll see you tomorrow at 6.

There is no restatement of the benefit ... in other words; "Holds on a minute, why do you have to come to my house?" is what is running through their minds."

And, the reason why you called is not a letter. You called to get an appointment. Change your script to say " ... I am calling in reference to the letter ... " then go on to restate the benefit, the reason why you need to go to the prospect's house. Then AND ONLY THEN are you to ask for an appointment time ... remembering the " ... would Monday or Wednesday be better for you?" (Socratic Choice).

If you restate the reason that the meeting is important, you will eliminate many of the objections and create the reason why to fall back on if the prospects is "wavering".

Good luck and KEEP SELLING ... sell the 'action plan' (appointment)! - by Gold Calling
The biggest problem any salesperson has is the opening or getting their foot in the internal doorway of their customer's mind and removing or at least diminishing their 2 tension barriers that thwart the sale. I noticed from your question that you are starting off in an assertive, somewhat aggressive manner. Psychologically, you are far better off beginning with a question because the lower brain is far more compelled to respond favorably to a question than to a statement. Structure your opening thoughts as though it is a mini-presentation about getting to know them and not so much about you and your company's miracle product. During my career i was a top 10 sales agent with a top 10 life insurance company.

Best regards,

O.L. Houston - by olhouston
I say " Hello may I speak to Rick. Hi Rick this is Ulysses calling from the mortgage protection group. I'm calling in reference to the letter you sent in regarding mortgage protection. Do you remember sending us that letter?
Gold Calling had some excellent advice for you.

Also, if your prospect answers "yes" to your question, "Do you remember sending us that letter?", you're building sales momentum, and that's a good thing. But I can only imagine that many of your prospects answer "no" to that question (prospects are often afraid of doing anything that prematurely signals their commitment to spending money with salespeople), and that absolutely kills sales momentum, which is a very, very bad thing. I suggest that you definitely delete that question from your script. - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.