Home > Personal Selling > Advice Needed

Advice Needed

I am a 16 year old and need some advice for an advertising idea I am looking to pursue.

I am looking at selling advertisement space on Car Air Fresheners.

Here's the idea.

I found a web site where I can get air fresheners printed with custom labellings, logos, etc..

I was thinking about asking local car dealerships after they sell a vehicle they place a car air freshener with the advertisement printed on it. I was thinking maybe paying them 25% or allowing them to have one side of the air freshener with their logo.

It will cost me $75 one time printing fee, and .39 cents for each air freshener.

Also, the air fresheners will be the smell of New Car Scent, that way it keeps the feel of a new car.

What are your thoughts?

Should I pursue this?

What prices should I charge?

Thanks,

Austin - by AustinL
Very creative Austin. A spin on that is giving the air fresheners to the dealer at no cost with your reorder information on the back. Providing the air fresheners at no cost 'might' deter the dealers from copying your idea. Of course the money would be in the reorders. - by SpeedRacer
I am a 16 year old and need some advice for an advertising idea I am looking to pursue.

I am looking at selling advertisement space on Car Air Fresheners.

Here's the idea.

I found a web site where I can get air fresheners printed with custom labellings, logos, etc..

I was thinking about asking local car dealerships after they sell a vehicle they place a car air freshener with the advertisement printed on it. I was thinking maybe paying them 25% or allowing them to have one side of the air freshener with their logo.

It will cost me $75 one time printing fee, and .39 cents for each air freshener.

Also, the air fresheners will be the smell of New Car Scent, that way it keeps the feel of a new car.

What are your thoughts?

Should I pursue this?

What prices should I charge?

Thanks,

Austin

I would sell them to used car lots. It is easier to get a decision, either positive or negative from the owner of a small car lot than a new car dealership. - by MattyB
So do you think this would be something of interest in dealerships and those purchasing the advertising?

I mean for about 500 air fresheners it will cost me around $300. Would this advertising idea be worth paying for at a price about $300.

Just looking for some insight from those with prior experience with advertising.

Thanks - by AustinL
Would this advertising idea be worth paying for at a price about $300.
Sorry I meant to say... Would this advertising idea be worth paying for at a price above $300? - by AustinL
What would be the benefit to the dealership of paying for advertising on the back of a disposable air freshener given out with every purchase? Where is the value to the dealership? - by Marcus
No, I am not saying anything like that.

Let me explain again.

I give dealerships free air fresheners. They can put their logo on one side for free. I sell the other side as AD space to local businesses.

Every time they sell a car, they place this air freshener in the car.

The dealership receives the air freshener for free, as well as free logo space on one side.

I am just selling the other side as ad space to local businesses.

What are you thoughts on this idea? - by AustinL
You're definitely on the right track. You have to remember something. No matter how "good" or "bad" an idea, people are always going to find reasons why it won't work. It doesn't mean it can't or won't happen, it just means if it doesn't work, don't quit on the idea - build on it.

Personally, I don't see it being a viable source of income and I feel it would be a difficult sell. When people/companies advertise, they're looking for impact. I'm not sure a dealership and other advertisers would see significant value from an air freshener.

I have a 13 year old cousin who is constantly thinking of new ideas. Some work, some don't. I would never want to discourage anyone from pursuing something they truly believe in. I know you are looking for feedback on this particular idea and I'm giving it from my perspective. Keep in mind, I could be completely wrong.

Assess what others say and form your own conclusion. Remember, no matter how great an idea, you'll always encounter those who don't "believe" in its potential as much as you do.

The one book I wished I read at 16 that you should own and read at least twice per year is "Think And Grow Rich" By: Napoleon Hill. Many lessons in the book may not resonate with you immediately, but it's a book for all ages, for those (like yourself) who are ready to build something great for themselves.

I wish you all the very best. - by Billiam
A couple years ago I replied to some local ads for salesmen to see if there was anything I might do that allowed me the same time freedom I have today. I visited the little factory one man owns in town and he makes those air freshenere. The business he described to me was exactly what you described, Austin:

I give dealerships free air fresheners. They can put their logo on one side for free. I sell the other side as AD space to local businesses. Every time they sell a car, they place this air freshener in the car. The dealership receives the air freshener for free, as well as free logo space on one side. I am just selling the other side as ad space to local businesses." -- Austin

What he also suggested was auto and truck washes.

I decided not to do it - it wasn't a selling job I wanted, but I can see the potential. When I was your age I sold flower seeds door to door.

The best to you. Sales can be one of the best and most rewarding professions in the world.

MitchM - by MitchM
I like the idea.

Easy to understand and see the value.

Good luck.

Localman - by localman
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.