Home > Personal Selling > Are There Gender Differences?

Are There Gender Differences?

Do you think there are any differences in how customers buy that relate to gender? Do women go about making a decision to buy in a different manner than men do? What are your thoughts? - by Skip Anderson
It's possible I guess. Have you seen anything like that yourself? - by Houston
It's possible I guess. Have you seen anything like that yourself?
It's been on my radar screen, but I haven't done any research on the issue, and I haven't reached any conclusions myself. At this point, I think there are differences that relate more to personality rather than gender.

What prompted this thread was someone told me this a few weeks ago when they were talking about one of their prospects: "So anyway, she didn't buy because [blah blah blah]... you know how women are." I thought this gender topic would be an interesting thread so we could see what thoughts the S.P. community had...

Skip - by Skip Anderson
I've thought about this, read about the would-be differences, and still the jury is out - I just don't know. It may be same old same old for me to say that regardless of gender I find people want or don't want what I offer but it's the truth.

Some say women buy more nutrition then men - what I sell. Some say women buy more on emotion then men. Some say everyone buys on emotion. Some say that is not true - I can't add much to this discussion.

MitchM - by MitchM
Does anybody else have any thoughts about gender differences they'd like to share? - by Skip Anderson
There are both selling to and sold by gender issues, no?

What is that line by Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich ... oh yah .... "There called boobs Ed!"

To add to my all too commonly un-humble opinions; I believe women find it easier to sell to men than men do to women but - this is where I add another opinion - I hate generalities. No doubt you get my point ... selling wares, well, they could have more to sell, see what I am saying?

Having made the sexist comment I want to be very clear in stating that I truly believe women make better sales people and now that it is no longer a male dominated profession it is great to work with the gals and see how well they handle scenarios. After all, guys find it harder to bond than women do and, with the exception of them "boobs", that is the only real difference. After all, sales is not a contact sport (well ... ummm ... yah!).

Please accept this apology for this morning's sprinkling of humor as I post what I would normally have thought, written, then thought twice about and edited but not shared!

Best of luck always, with whatever it is you decide to sell ...! - by Gold Calling
There are both selling to and sold by gender issues, no?

What is that line by Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich ... oh yah .... "There called boobs Ed!"

To add to my all too commonly un-humble opinions; I believe women find it easier to sell to men than men do to women but - this is where I add another opinion - I hate generalities. No doubt you get my point ... selling wares, well, they could have more to sell, see what I am saying?

Having made the sexist comment I want to be very clear in stating that I truly believe women make better sales people and now that it is no longer a male dominated profession it is great to work with the gals and see how well they handle scenarios. After all, guys find it harder to bond than women do and, with the exception of them "boobs", that is the only real difference. After all, sales is not a contact sport (well ... ummm ... yah!).

Please accept this apology for this morning's sprinkling of humor as I post what I would normally have thought, written, then thought twice about and edited but not shared!

Best of luck always, with whatever it is you decide to sell ...!
I've never really observed major differences in the male and female population relating to purchasing a vehicle.

I've noticed that women and men trust me more than they would a male co-worker. Both my co-workers and I think that people will trust a female car sales consultant, before they would a male. Just because of the bad reputations...

I have also noticed that when a couple has come in, the woman is usually "take charge" more on the defense than the man. And if a male co-worker had a couple it would be the opposite (the male taking charge)...

This is just my observations and experiences, but I see no major difference.... - by MissJackson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.