Home > Personal Selling > Interpretation of Lau Tze for Sales

Interpretation of Lau Tze for Sales

"Can you love people and lead them
without forcing your will on them?

When Heaven gives and takes away
can you be content with the outcome?

When you understand all things
can you step back from your own understanding?" - Lau Tzu

This strikes me as a potential discussion on sales.Since I'm here to learn what I can maybe someone has a thumbs up or down or sideways with reasons why as to the merits of this quote in selling situations.

Thanks! - by MitchM
"Can you love people and lead them
without forcing your will on them?

When Heaven gives and takes away
can you be content with the outcome?

When you understand all things
can you step back from your own understanding?" - Lau Tzu

Just to add to this list:

"To go faster, go slower."
"To do more, do less."
"Empty yourself to be fuller."
"To be stronger, be more vulnerable."

All are applicable in sales. - by tessa
"To do more, do less." Will you put that in a description of how that cliche has specific application in a sales situation, Tessa? To do more of what do less of what? - by MitchM
"To do more, do less." Will you put that in a description of how that cliche has specific application in a sales situation, Tessa? To do more of what do less of what?
Hi MitchM

Selling is full of paradoxies. If you understand these prardoxies, you will do really well in sales. For example, often in selling the salesperson thinks they need to do most of the talking. Wrong. You achieve MORE by speaking LESS and listening. - by tessa
For example, often in selling the salesperson thinks they need to do most of the talking. Wrong. You achieve MORE by speaking LESS and listening.
Great interpretation Tessa. :) - by MagicMan
Tessa -

Can you qualify what you listen for and how or is that more of a quality one acquires than can be defined in a simple post?

Also, when you say one should speak less is that just part of the cliche: two ears - one mouth - listen more and speak less? - or have you qualified exactly what that means exactly. In other words, if I were to speak less what in a conversation do I use less of in speech and what do I keep in when speaking?

To say speak less and listen more to achieve more is still a cliche or too general for use. It's more important to know what "to achieve more" of what means and what I should not eliminate from speaking that is important.

Can any of that be qualified? - by MitchM
Tessa -
Can you qualify what you listen for and how or is that more of a quality one acquires than can be defined in a simple post?
Mitch, you started quoting from the Tao Teh Ching. Tessa added to it with some Zen philosophy. As in the paradoxes the two of you have examined, it's not about acquiring-but giving away or letting go.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Tao of sales is about giving up control to gain control.

Very, very relative to some discussions on these threads. - by Gary Boye
There is no doubt in my mind that the Tao of sales is about giving up control to gain control. Very, very relative to some discussions on these threads - Gary

I've read one opinion that when :"Is this something you want or not?" is spoken the "is not" is a freeing up phrase in that giving the other permission to not engage actually opens up a potential field of engagement that otherwise would have not been there or would have been one of resistance.

Once a big and muscular basketball player in my high school class - I taught high school - and I had strong words and I finally I one - upped him which produced strong anger in him at the moment I knew it had gone too far and I could have stopped. I told him to step out in the hall [which he did] and walking into the hall I took a few seconds to just stand there and looking up [I'm 5'6' and he's 6'4'] I said reaching my hand out, "John, let me be the first to apologize - I didn't have to get in your face."

Big tears fell down his cheeks, we shook hands, "It's okay Mr. Mitch. I'm just having a bad day. I'm sorry too."

Mutual respect had already been established in my classroom - I gave away lots of artificial control to gain real control - but in this case I gave up a certain kind of control [power] to gain a more powerful power [respect for a person's worth].

It's something like that, isn't it! - by MitchM
[quote=MitchM]

Hi Mitch

Another paradox is "to sell, don't sell!"

To be good at selling and to start seeing what these paradoxes mean, the best place is to start looking within yourself. Why are you in sales?

There is a HUGE amount to all of this. - by tessa
Once upon a time I strummed a guitar and sang a song in a bar and I was proud of what I'd taught my fingers to do practicing over and over again in that discipline, and I loved the physical feeling of the words in breath coming out and the meaning of the words and emotions in the stories I sang and when the people listening were happy and entertained and touched I was validated and felt good and it was a completed circuit. And I was paid for doing that.

Sales completes circuits and provides that same thing.

What do you want, why do you want these things, why don't you want these things, what will your life be like when you achieve these things - that's an exercise some find useful in discovering essential truths and why, Tessa - by MitchM
Once upon a time I strummed a guitar and sang a song...
Went to the Bills game last night and missed the great Buddy Guy doing a free outdoor concert in front of city hall. Bikers and Blues Bash.

You can't have it all. At least I saw Brett Favre and the Bills won. - by Gary Boye
Nah, you can't have it all, Gary but you had fun. I sometimes have the AOL radio station on playing whatever - but often acoustic blues until I need a different kind of stimulation. There's something about the 20s - 40s and some of the new acoustic blues that really resonates in me - all kinds of mucic does - but this in particular does.

Do you spend much time with metaphors from other things, other interests, etc. to use in selling analysis such as this forum, Gary? I'm sure you've answered why you are in selling many times and in many ways.

I wonder how many people just do what they do with a great deal of success and spend little time in personal analysis - they just seem to do it. Jacques pointed out that in his study those top earners typically invested money and time into educating and sharpening themselves, in life long study. - by MitchM
Do you spend much time with metaphors from other things, other interests, etc. to use in selling analysis such as this forum, Gary? I'm sure you've answered why you are in selling many times and in many ways.

I wonder how many people just do what they do with a great deal of success and spend little time in personal analysis - they just seem to do it. Jacques pointed out that in his study those top earners typically invested money and time into educating and sharpening themselves, in life long study.
When I was in Alaska, I spent a few hours in this tiny coastal town called Haynes. The type where moose and brown bears might walk down the street--literally. It was evening, and while Eileen was shopping, I found this fantastic book store on a side street and I went in and was browsing in the mystery section. There were these speakers on the wall and Robert Johnson was doing some slide work and I asked the young woman behind the counter if she knew who was playing. She was about eighteen. She said they seldom got any live music in Haynes--and she loved that music. I told her about Robert and how important he was to music in our culture. It was one of those moments of connection that stays with you.

Do I look metaphorically at life? No, I don't think so. Metaphors sometimes divide. I've been good at handball and chess. To me, there was never a difference between setting up a killshot in four wall handball and pushing a pawn to create an imbalance in a chess game. In chess, if a position suggests a sacrifice--it demands a sacrifice--and if you chicken out, you usually lose. That's not a metaphor--that's life. I never see those things differently.

You said: I wonder how many people just do what they do with a great deal of success and spend little time in personal analysis - they just seem to do it.

They might "just seem" to do it, but I don't think that's the case. Personal strategy is often purposely deceptive. - by Gary Boye
Your post reads like a section in a chapter of a book and it's your book, Gary - I appreciate your little word pictures. I believe that personal strategy is also something held close to the chest.

You might know of Robert Frost's essay on metaphor and one of the points is that every word construction is metaphor. The other is to watch for where metaphor breaks down - that can be the opening of a greater and illuminating lesson and lense into the working of life and our minds.

The quotes I and Tessa have used can be taken in that direction, too.

We've never been to Alaska but want to go someday. - by MitchM
Mitch, I took your post and put metphors in red and similes in blue. I guess Robert Frost was right!

Your post reads like a section in a chapter of a book and it's your book, Gary - I appreciate your little word pictures. I believe that personal strategy is also something held close to the chest.

You might know of Robert Frost's essay on metaphor and one of the points is that every word construction is metaphor. The other is to watch for where metaphor breaks down - that can be the opening of a greater and illuminating lesson and lens into (the working of life) and our minds.

The quotes I and Tessa have used can be taken in that direction, too. - by Gary Boye
Also - "one of the points" - you missed that one. I like that - it could be applied to so many threads and open each into a new dimension of play.

The best to you today - gotta move into family things now! - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.