Home > Cold Calling > The hardest part of cold calling is...

The hardest part of cold calling is...

What is the hardest part of cold calling for you?

For me it's the approach step.
The initial stage (Introduction/ Opening) of a sales call. First impressions, gaining the prospect's attention, holding interest, and securing approval to ask questions.
- by Thomas
Thomas, what about the approach step are you experiencing the most difficulty with? - by Houston
Thomas, what about the approach step are you experiencing the most difficulty with?
The most difficult part for me is getting the prospect to want to sit for a meeting. The people I cold call are trying to sell a home themselves they don't want to use an agent so they don't want to talk to me. - by Thomas
Having no experience in the beginning the hardest part was picking up the phone and dialing. BUT knowing what to say was also part of the hard part. Learning how to language an offer took that part of the hard part away. Doing lots of calls took the other part away.

Still, some days I just don't feel like picking up the phone - and some of those days I don't. I take a day off or a couple of days off - I do other things.

MitchM - by MitchM
I think that a change of view is in order. Instead of viewing it as another annoying task you should look at it for what it is...you provide people with an easier way to sell their home. Many times we look at cold calling as a way to gain sales. When we should look at cold calling as a way to meet new prospects we normally wouldn't. Before we can set an appoinment or sell a product we have to be sure they need it.

We do this through conversation, simply talking to them. When we start a conversation in general do you say:

"Hello my name is Joe smoe...and I work for XYZ company doing..."

Or do we just simply say "Hello"?

Think about the way you start your everyday conversations and how you can make them related to your topic. If you change your goal to

"Today I am going to have 10 positive two-way conversations"

Instead of:

"Today I am going to set 20 appointments"

You will find the appointments or sales will find you...try it for a couple of days with no other agenda but have positive conversations with the prospects and let me know how it works for you. I hope it helps you.

Smiles, - by lrobertson
"Today I am going to have 10 positive two-way conversations" -- lrobertson

Excellent!

MitchM - by MitchM
That sounds great MitchM!

Good Luck!
Let me know how it turns out!
Smiles, - by lrobertson
You will find the appointments or sales will find you...try it for a couple of days with no other agenda but have positive conversations with the prospects and let me know how it works for you. I hope it helps you.
A few weeks ago an out of State prospect called in who was looking for something we didn't have in inventory. I had the time so I cold called on a few private sellers and told them I was checking out the different homes on the market for a potential buyer. I've listed five homes so far and I was only previewing the home. bdybldr; - by Thomas
What is the hardest part of cold calling for you?
Opening the car door ;sm - by PiJiL
Unlock the child safety locks bgwnk; - by Jaron Watkins
sn; stcktng; - by PiJiL
The hardest part is getting yourself to make the calls regardless if the call is in person or on the phone. - by Mikey
The hardest part is getting yourself to make the calls regardless if the call is in person or on the phone.
Agreed, once you get over the inital fear and you have come up with an opening statement that gets the client excited about your product it makes everything move a lot smoother, rejection or not. - by MoneyMaker
Agreed, once you get over the inital fear and you have come up with an opening statement that gets the client excited about your product it makes everything move a lot smoother, rejection or not.
I agree too. I used to avoid cold calling and it stressed me out. I do it all the time now and it's not a problem anymore. - by Thomas
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.