Home > Presentation > Sales Vocabulary

Sales Vocabulary

There is an article on Tom Hopkins' website called "Is Your Vocabulary Costing You Money?" - http://tomhopkins.com/article3.htm

J. Douglas Edwards brought up the same point about word choice.

Is Your Vocabulary Costing You Money? - by Houston
I have made up a form of "scare words" and "safe words" I will copy and paste it:

Safe Words

There are key words to leave out of telemarketing, because these words will make the person in charge of the money stop listening to what you are saying instantly. Think of them as the telemarketing curse words.

Buy
Money
Price
Spending
Cost
Pay
Cash
Appointment
Contract
Set

Safe Words
Instead try using these word.

Get
Run you
Stop by
A few minutes of your time
Agreement
Investment

Also

Always Assume that you are going to get the appointment, NEVER ASK!
Remember not to ask any Yes or No Questions!
If they ask you to fax them information tell them that the reason that you’re calling is to see when a good time to sit down with them is.

I really like the link, and i'm going to give it to my reps!

- by lacey
I agree that for some words like Lacey and Tom listed you're better off being safe than sorry. - by SpeedRacer
There is an article on Tom Hopkins' website called "Is Your Vocabulary Costing You Money?" - http://tomhopkins.com/article3.htm

J. Douglas Edwards brought up the same point about word choice.

Is Your Vocabulary Costing You Money?

Thank you so Much for this, I printed it out, and my people are all very reseptive because now it has come from someone other than me! - by lacey
Thank you so Much for this, I printed it out, and my people are all very reseptive because now it has come from someone other than me!
I know how that goes. ;pi - by Houston
Lacey - Tom was taught b y J. Douglas Edwards, through the American Salesmasters (he eventually bought the rights to Edwards material after his death). And, yes, Outside Reinforcement (O.R.) is critical if you own a company or manage sales people. This is an interesting subject ... the topic of Trust and Respect, they do not go hand in hand! Ahh, but that is not the topic of this thread.

Vocabulary in sales, this is usually a discussion of the words that it is wise not to use, like SIGN instead of okay, authorize, approve or whatever you like better. There's no doubt using the psychology of avoiding certain words that can trigger reactions in some people will occasionally make a difference and therefore should be practiced always.

Vocabulary in general also makes a difference. You can sound uneducated, even ignorant, if you are unable to hold your own with a business owner or executive. In fact, you might not even realize you are 'tipping your hand' so to speak.

My sister stopped me cold on this one in the mid eighties, making her point by saying; "Do you realize that if you do not know certain words you can't think certain thoughts?" That one made an impact on me ... of course, I had to have an English major as a kid-sister!

Anyway, joking aside, in my opinion; it is as important to work on yourself as it is to work on sales skills. And anyone who has read some of my threads knows how highly I rank skills.

Learning to sell is just one of the priorities that you should include to stretch yourself to your full potential. - by Gold Calling
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.