Home > Closing > Are your prospects familiar with traditional closing techniques?

Are your prospects familiar with traditional closing techniques?

Do you think closes like the "Ben Franklin Close" the "Puppy Dog Close" the "Order Blank Close" or other traditional closes have lost their effectiveness because prospects are familiar with them? - by Houston
Do you think closes like the "Ben Franklin Close" the "Puppy Dog Close" the "Order Blank Close" or other traditional closes have lost their effectiveness because prospects are familiar with them?
Some prospects are surely aware of these "closes," but they most certainly still work! - by Skip Anderson
At Xerox we had it virtually beaten-into us that, to be successful, we needed to memorize 'X' closes and use them verbatim.

In retrospect, it made sense to train in this fashion because repetition made us comfortable. In time, though, we adapted the closes to our personality.

For example, I had a "Columbo close" which included dropping my briefcase. Essentially, this was the "lost sale" close where you're apologizing for your inept performance. "...after all, my peers are out there selling Xerox copiers successfully! So, it can't be the pricing or the product ... I can only assume that it's me ...". There isn't a decision-maker out there who would heartlessly leave you on the hook, "... look, it had nothing to do with you ... in fact, you've been most fastidious and professional throughout our meetings. We just think that the (price, spec's, features, whatever) don't match our needs...". NOW you have something to dig your teeth into! "Well, just to make it perfectly clear ... what precisely was it about the ...".

The job is ALL about fishing-out the objections, ensuring you've got them all covered. Then ... close the order!

To handle the topic directly, I'm aware of ONE instance where the prospect knew where we were in the sales cycle! Because his office was directly across the street from the Xerox sales office on Bloor Street, "... wow, you must have just come back from Leesburg ... that was an excellent transition ..."!

Good luck & Good selling!
Pat - by OUTSource Sales
One of the most important sales questions the professional or would be professional should ask is: what does it mean that a closing technique is effective or that it works. Effective in doing what? Works to do what?

The answer to your question, Houston, is yes, in many cases that is true. That is not always true, though.

MitchM - by MitchM
One of the most important sales questions the professional or would be professional should ask is: what does it mean that a closing technique is effective or that it works. Effective in doing what? Works to do what?
I think the answers to your "most important sales questions" are obvious:

A closing technique is effective if it commences an agreement from a prospect to purchase the salesperson's product or service.

Sales "closes" like the ones Houston mentions still work because they are tools that help prospects come to a decision to purchase. They aren't magic, they aren't manipulative, they aren't voodoo, they're simply tools that salespeople can use to help a prospect get over "status quo paralysis" and indecision.

Having said that, salespeople who don't ask for the sale at the appropriate time are most certainly losing out on a good deal of business they could have had if they would have used effective closing strategies with their prospects.

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
I know what you mean because it's like when someone says cold calling doesn't work or print advertising doesn't work. - by realtor
Say you are training five new recruits and say to them:

"salespeople who don't ask for the sale at the appropriate time are most certainly losing out on a good deal of business they could have had if they would have used effective closing strategies with their prospects." -- Skip

What should be taught so that these recruits identify the appropriate time? In other words, when is the appropriate time?

MitchM - by MitchM
Say you are training five new recruits and say to them:

"salespeople who don't ask for the sale at the appropriate time are most certainly losing out on a good deal of business they could have had if they would have used effective closing strategies with their prospects." -- Skip

What should be taught so that these recruits identify the appropriate time? In other words, when is the appropriate time?

MitchM
That is an excellent question, MitchM. I'll weigh in and I would encourage others to answer your question, too...

1. After a "Test Close"

Salesperson: "Mr. Prospect, you told me that you want to retire by age 62. Do you think the plan I've presented to you this evening would help you to achieve that goal? (Test close)

Prospect: "Yes, I think it would"

Salesperson: "How about if you authorize this paperwork so we can set up your investment plan so you can get what you want?" (direct close question)

2. Whenever the salesperson perceives the prospect is receptive to a closing action:

Prospect: "I've always wanted a BMW X59; I can't believe how well it handles! And my boyfriend would love it, too."

Salesperson: "Do you want to own it?" (direct close question)

3. To handle an objection

Prospect: (after much discussion) "I'm just not sure if this new widget will help me to save money." (objection)

Salesperson: "How about if I let you use the widget for a month, and if it saves you money, you keep it and we invoice you for it?" ("puppy dog" close)

4. Whenever you've presented a product or service solution to your prospect that meets some stated or unstated need of the prospect.

Granted, these are simplistic examples, but the need to close in these four instances transcends all types of selling, all types of markets, and all types of products/services, in my opinion.

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
Closing is merely using logic to an extent. So if your prospect is logical, any close that makes the decision seem "logical" will work.

Peace,

salespro - by salespro
Moderator's Note: Multiple posts removed by Admin-Asst. - by Admin-Asst
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.