Home > Consumer Behavior > Uncovering the prospect's pain - Leverage

Uncovering the prospect's pain - Leverage

We're often told to uncover the prospect "pain" but I think there is more to it than that. I think it's about leverage. I think that until the pain of 'maintaining the status quo' is greater than the pain of 'changing to something new" people won't change.

What do you think? - by Houston
We're often told to uncover the prospect "pain" but I think there is more to it than that. I think it's about leverage. I think that until the pain of 'maintaining the status quo' is greater than the pain of 'changing to something new" people won't change.

What do you think?
I think you're right. Watch how fast change happens when a "nice to have" becomes a "must have". msnwnk; - by Marcus
When the nail the old hound dog is sitting on doesn't hurt hard enough, it won't budge, as the old joke goes. Sometimes even then it doesn't matter - people live and die in pain without trying something that might relieve their pain - they just don't move.

For years I tried to get people to get up off their nail using all the best of the best sales techniques and questions and facilitations etc. AND I made some sales which were mostly temporary.

BUT once I became more selectively engaged in seeking people who wanted to get off the nail using everything I'd learned in a more focused and concise way, my business life improved, profits grew, and there was very little stress. Not 100% pain or stress free or full proof - but very strong in that direction to which it remains today.

Neither do I spend much time debating or defending what I do about anything - no interest. People can do what they want to do - it's a good topic you bring up Houston and worth everyone's impressions on the subject.

MitchM - by MitchM
I agree with Mitch on this one.

While sales does require some pushing to get things done in a timely manner, if they are 1000 yards from the cliffs edge then the amount of pushing you will have to do is a waste of time. This is because while you are spending all that time working on getting the guy who isnt even in the market there are hundreds of people dying for someone to take their order.

Sometimes I get frustrated with a buyer and then I realize that I am frustrated because I want them to be at the buying stage when in fact they are just doing research. Once I make that deduction its easy to qualify and I just move on to the next one.

Naturally I will keep a tab on the researchers and check in with them occasionally. I dont want to annoy them, but if they take up my time to get their research done I am gonna stay on them so that when they are close to the edge I am the one they jump with.

Good topic!thmbp2; - by desertstandard
While sales does require some pushing to get things done in a timely manner, if they are 1000 yards from the cliffs edge then the amount of pushing you will have to do is a waste of time. This is because while you are spending all that time working on getting the guy who isnt even in the market there are hundreds of people dying for someone to take their order.

Sometimes I get frustrated with a buyer and then I realize that I am frustrated because I want them to be at the buying stage when in fact they are just doing research. Once I make that deduction its easy to qualify and I just move on to the next one.

Naturally I will keep a tab on the researchers and check in with them occasionally. I dont want to annoy them, but if they take up my time to get their research done I am gonna stay on them so that when they are close to the edge I am the one they jump with.
This is me exactly. I used to treat everyone as if they were ready to buy and they weren't. Now I have a 30-60-90 day follow up system and I've changed the way I treat everyone. - by Thomas
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.