Home > Marketing > What to put in a newsletter

What to put in a newsletter

What information should go in a newsletter? Is there a general rule to follow? - by realtor
What information should go in a newsletter? Is there a general rule to follow?
For best results, each article should answer this one question: Does the information you are presenting bring value to the reader OR promote you? Keep in mind, the purpose of a newsletter is to keep your name out there, so that it will be remembered; but the only way it will be read and passed to others is if it is beneficial to the reader.

I used to use a news letter... Here's my real opinion: there are to many ways to screw it up by coming across as a salesman, instead of a friend; regardless of your intention. The ones that come by email make people feel like they were spammed, and the ones that come by mail go in the trash - Not a great way to get referral business. This is why I now only send greeting cards every month. My goal is to be remembered, easily contacted when needed, and to make their day. They know I care; and if they have any industry related questions; they feel welcome to call me... and thank me for the card I sent. It takes me less time, using the system I use; and the card gets shown to others when it is put on display on their counter Month in and Month out. I send it to all of my contacts, sold and unsold. It's the easiest way to turn ever contact into a sold prospect, a referral source, or a repeat client. They will realize you care about them, not "making the sale"; and remember this: Love Wins over Self-Promotion EVERY SINGLE TIME. - by FollowUpMaster
What information should go in a newsletter? Is there a general rule to follow?
I think the key is quality content.

If you have information that people want, they'll gladly accept your newsletter. I subscribe to about 50 newsletters, and because I'm exceptionally busy, I don't get to read every issue from every sender, but I've learned which ones are valuable to me and which ones are mostly promotional fluff. The quality content newsletters are the ones I read religiously, while some of the others go into my recycle bin very frequently.

Deciding what information to put in your newsletter depends upon your market, who you want to reach, what your personal brand is all about, and what you can bring to the table that other agents may not be able to bring to the table, IMO.

I know that's a general answer to your specific question, but I hope it's somewhat helpful anyway.

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
IMO, content of value to the reader, not self-promotion, is what to put in a newsletter. What's on the mind of your readers? That's what I'd write about. ;) - by AZBroker
IMO, content of value to the reader, not self-promotion, is what to put in a newsletter. What's on the mind of your readers? That's what I'd write about. ;)
Well put, AZ. - by Skip Anderson
I agree - the content has to create value for the reader. The self promotion piece only makes sense if the core of the newsletter has value. - by wayne.regehr
I get the picture. How many pages would you suggest for a newsletter? I don't want it so big that I can't do it consistently but I don't want it so small that it looks cheesy. - by realtor
I think of it in terms of how much time does your reader need to invest to get value out of it. Value should be derived in the time it takes to watch a television commercial. - by wayne.regehr
Value should be derived in the time it takes to watch a television commercial.
Does that mean they should decide the newsletter is a value in that short of a time? - by realtor
My perspective is that something in your newsletter should attract their attention and provide value in 15 seconds - you will have more content as well - but a 'grabber' of some kind is recommended. Think of this as an appetizer. - by wayne.regehr
My perspective is that something in your newsletter should attract their attention and provide value in 15 seconds - you will have more content as well - but a 'grabber' of some kind is recommended. Think of this as an appetizer.
I wish I had thought of that. That makes total sense. Something like a value added attention grabber. Thank You! thmbp2; - by realtor
All the best with the execution - by wayne.regehr
All the best with the execution
Thank You Wayne! sn; - by realtor
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.