Home > Cold Calling > Where does cold calling end?

Where does cold calling end?

Isn't calling on inquiries from advertisements and trade shows and referrals just about the same as calling on someone cold when you're at the point where you need to sell the prospect on meeting with you? - by Thomas
There might be a little more "want to" from ads and trade shows than random cold calling, Thomas, but my position isn't that I'm going to sell the prospect on meeting with me. My position is that the prospect will sell me on meeting with him or her.

MitchM - by MitchM
Where did the other posts go? :un

MitchM what would you do differently with a trade show lead than you would with a regular cold call? - by Thomas
What would you call a cold call and how did the trade show lead come your way, Thomas?

MitchM - by MitchM
Where did the other posts go? :un
I removed my question to you and your reply Thomas. That was what the PM was for. ;wi - by Jeff Blackwell
You must have the buy or die attitude. Meaning you continually contact them until they buy or they literally die and upon their death you need to be selling to their estate!! - by rwilfong
What would you call a cold call and how did the trade show lead come your way, Thomas?
I'll get the trade show leads from the sales manager.

You must have the buy or die attitude. Meaning you continually contact them until they buy or they literally die and upon their death you need to be selling to their estate!!
Rwilfong what would you do differently with a trade show lead than you would with a regular cold call? - by Thomas
Absolutely nothing other than different follow up strategies. Each lead must have different campaigns in your contact management system based on the previous touch points. Every lead must receive regular contact via phone, automatic email, mail and visits. Your CRM and follow up system is crucial to successful sales. - by rwilfong
Hello Thomas,
I on the other hand see things a little differently. When you are contacted by anyone it should be considered a cold call. The way you view your cold calling however should be a little different. For many years people have been using traditional sales to sell their products and I admit for many years it has worked. However with recent years people are becoming less receptive to our past methods and it is time to make a change.

Ask yourself this...if someone called you with todays sales techniques what would you do?

Then ask yourself if they continued to push you to a buy how would you feel?

overall the best way to cold call is to open two-way conversation. Here is a blog that may be able to help you understand what I am saying better...take a look give it a try...what could it hurt?

Then let me know what you think about your initial question.

Free cold calling tips

Smiles,
Lisa - by lrobertson
For many years people have been using traditional sales to sell their products and I admit for many years it has worked. However with recent years people are becoming less receptive to our past methods and it is time to make a change.
Lisa please give an example of what you mean when you say "traditional sales" and what changes you feel it's time to make. Thanks. - by AZBroker
Traditional sales in :

Scripts
over enthusium
pushing the sale

These forms of traditional sales used to work well however now everywhere you look people are growing tired of the same old sales call. They are looking for a salesmen that can help them solve their current problems for the bigger better deal.

More and more people have less time, less money, and less patients when it comes to sales. The art of conversation can help you communicate with your prospects. I mean really having a two-way conversation.

Talking with the prospect rather then talking at the prospect with a script. Learning to be yourself while you are cold calling. This is the most important part that you are you when you cold call.

Not some over cheery-mask that you throw on when you make your calls. That you speak to them as people and consider what that person on the other line maybe feeling while you are talking. Not to pressure them into any sales because they get enough of that.You will learn that if you are open and honest with them they will be more honest with you.

I guess what I am trying to say in a nutshell is think of how you feel when you get those type of cold calls and consider the same for your prospects.

I hope that helps - by lrobertson
"Isn't calling on inquiries from advertisements and trade shows and referrals just about the same as calling on someone cold when you're at the point where you need to sell the prospect on meeting with you?" - Thomas

I would submit another approach which is that the prospect has to sell me on the idea of meeting with him or her. That's not a play on words or anything clever or esoteric.

Today I spoke with a man about our products and business opportunity - it wasn't a cold call it was a cold conversation. Actually, I know the difference - hot, cold, warm, lead, etc. which I've deleted from my definition tool box replaced with "all people are warm blooded" and I'll never know if I don't ask.

Obviously if one has a quality prospect list from any source that's the best way to begin prospecting - I'm not saying it's not.

So I spoke with Lee today and in that conversation he told me a few things about himself, what he does and has done, we talked about what I do, and in the end he said he wanted to take a closer look at both our products and business.

I asked him what he'd do if he liked what he saw and he said he's at least buy a month supply of our products and then take a look at the business opportunity.

BUT Thomas, during that conversation I was asking questions and listening for clear replies that what I was offering Lee wanted, that Lee appeared to be honest and would speak candidly and openly with me, and that I had a reason to give him any of my time.

In the end he sold me on getting with him later on in the week.

MitchM - by MitchM
A cold call lead you should know is qualified and statistically interested in your products. When you get your sales data for cold calling you should be able to isolate the statistically qualified people.

However, when you have a tradeshow lead, you should know for sure the person is interested in your products/services, as they attended a trade show.

Therefore a cold (warm) call lead sales approach would be developing report and getting the target to discuss our common interests.

The trade show cold call, or follow-up call would immediately begin discussing the tradeshow and enter the sales pitch... - by Lance_Best

Today I spoke with a man about our products and business opportunity - it wasn't a cold call it was a cold conversation. Actually, I know the difference - hot, cold, warm, lead, etc. which I've deleted from my definition tool box replaced with "all people are warm blooded" and I'll never know if I don't ask.

Obviously if one has a quality prospect list from any source that's the best way to begin prospecting - I'm not saying it's not.

So I spoke with Lee today and in that conversation he told me a few things about himself, what he does and has done, we talked about what I do, and in the end he said he wanted to take a closer look at both our products and business.

I asked him what he'd do if he liked what he saw and he said he's at least buy a month supply of our products and then take a look at the business opportunity.

BUT Thomas, during that conversation I was asking questions and listening for clear replies that what I was offering Lee wanted, that Lee appeared to be honest and would speak candidly and openly with me, and that I had a reason to give him any of my time.

In the end he sold me on getting with him later on in the week.

MitchM
This is good, you want to have open conversation with every call. Using scripts or pre-planned information is not the way to go. Developing a relationship with the prospect and building trust from the start requires effort on both parts. When you initiate a two-way conversation ( I say two way because most scripts don't allow the prospects to say much) Where the prospect is participating in the conversation you can get a better feel of their needs and what they can afford or when they are looking to purchase. Just as you did.

In knowing yourself and knowing what you want in a call you can get a better understanding of how your prospect feels. Look at all of the ideas you have for your cold calls. How you would approach the prospect then think about how you would feel if approached that way and how you would react it will give you a better idea of how most of your prospects will react to you.

Most importantly be conversational don't rush them off the line; listen and give honest answers because if you don't the prospects will notice.

Hope my two cents helps.

Smiles, - by lrobertson
"Most importantly be conversational don't rush them off the line; listen and give honest answers because if you don't the prospects will notice." -- lrobertson

Lee decided he didn't want to hear more. I'm just having a conversation with life with people with myself - some here would say that's not very professional and doesn't fit any system. We have a system with many components though.

Cold calling, calling prospects from a purchased, returning calls to people who've responded to classified and radio ads - we've done it all. I like my version of Jacques Werth's "High Probability Selling" though he might say I don't use it fully the way he'd advise (and I've never taken one of his classes) so I don't really use it. But I do.

Super salesmen get to the point, they don't BS around and they know what they want and what they expect, and they're ready to disqualify immediately when necessary.

Your quote about listening and giving honest answers is right on the button - that's called integrity.

The best of the best to you!

MitchM - by MitchM
Thanks MitchM I know that the concept of conversation with the prospects and building trust doesn't really fit in a lot of systems but it is good and important in cold calling.

I believe that cold calling is a way to meet prospects not make sales...after all you need to find out if the prospect needs your product or service before you can pitch them any sale.

It is important to me to treat the prospect as I would want to be treated in their position. And Positive conversation will lead to appointments, sales, and referals in the end.

Smiles, - by lrobertson
Spending your time with high probability prospects is the key to success - the conversation nails down mutual conditions of satisfaction and lets you know you can trust the person to keep his/her commitments.

MitchM - by MitchM
It also lets them know you are worthy of their trust!

Smiles, - by lrobertson
Yup! It's mutual.

MitchM - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.