Home > Cold Calling > Tweak my script

Tweak my script

Hello everyone, I'm not having much luck cold calling b2b. Below is my current script. Anyone have any ideas on how to improve it? My goal is to setup an appointment.

Hey, is _______ there?

Do you have a minute?

Good

The main reason I’m calling today is because I work with business owners in your area. I help them find ways to leverage their business for their own personal gain. There are a number of tax advantage strategies we can put in place that can save you a ton of money in taxes. With that all said, would you be interested in learning more? - by dtclark
dtclark;

My dad, whom I refer to as MySalesDad, is also known as The Father of Telephone Prospecting, as he began on the phone in the mid 1950's and is still working!

One of our main topics in our monthly training packages is Telephone Prospecting, which should never be referred to as COLD CALLING. Change one letter and you have GOLD CALLING - that's what we get from what we do.

I cannot really teach you the finer art of this great sales practice in a forum, as it must be heard. But I can share a few additional points;

(1) NEVER ASK if they have time!

The reality is - they answered the phone. If they had no time they would not have done that but, curiously, even though they did, they will tell you otherwise and some they should for two reasons; (A) Time - it goes something like this; if you ask, they answer "No" (though it is usually put differently), then when you say "I understand Mr ____________, making money comes first. What would be a better time to call back?" Is there a better time? No there is not. They are always zoo'd!

(b) In addition, you have not given them a reason why they would want to talk with you - let alone call back. And this is the point.

Incredibly, what is often not considered is; the time taken to go through the REJECTION (the NO) and the "what would be a better day and time to get back to you" is about the same time as it takes to actually get he G.B.S. out in the first place, so why not tell them why they should speak to you instead of dancing around the goods????

G.B.S. is General Benefit Statement. It must be general because you cannot tell in advance what they will be interested in of the many potential benefits your product or service offers.

So, the formula for calling is (once they are on the phone); Intro plus G.B.S. + proposed action plan (usually a face-to-face appointment).

Here is the way I would get at it;

"Mr./Ms. Prospect, my name is ______________ and I called today with an excellent reason for speaking, one that is totally unique. You see, amongst other things, I can show you a very exciting method of leveraging your business for personal gain. With this in mind, I recommend that I meet with you for an initial half an hour to explain the specifics of how this is sure to affect your life dramatically, would Tuesday morning fit your calender or is Wednesday afternoon better?"

Inevitably, if you can say it with a RING OF TRUTH in your voice, you they will initially respond with a question, not an appointment, something like; "How can you do that?" Or "How does it work?" If you try to answer in specifics you are likely to be dead ... !

Say something like; "First of all, let me say Mr./Ms. Prospect, that it is good to see you are open minded, that you accept help. And. let me assure you, I can REALLY help you. The specifics of how are difficult to get down to unless I can ask you a few questions, that is why it is imperative for us to meet. <don't pause!>

Now, looking back at our calendars, I have time open on Tuesday morning and Thursday afternoon or I could buy you for lunch near your office any day accept Friday, what is best for you?"

If LUNCH is on, then you need to meet him/her at their office.

Also; DON'T ASK SUPERFLUOUS QUESTIONS!

They will tell you they are not interested if they are not, you do not have to waste time asking it. Just go for the appointment!

I trust this will help dtclark. I recommend that you sign up at my website for a freebie copy of the newsletter to get some more immersion in correct telephone skills;

Best of luck to you. - by Gold Calling
This looks fantastic.. I'm going to start trying this later on this afternoon! - by dtclark
Gold Calling I noticed there was no qualifying/disqualifying of the potential client in the script you supplied. Do you feel that is standard and customary when telephone prospecting? - by Jolly Roger
As I stated Jolly, you cannot teach TELEPHONE PROSPECTING or GOLD CALLING® in a forum thread, not very well, if at all. I just tried to supply the initial 'opening line' and why the one posted was way off track. As that was all that was included in the request for HELP by dtclark.

Since this subject has now been brought up I can make a very strong suggestion;

There is only one way to proceed that works in the vast majority of cases ... those where it was possible to get an appointment ...

ALL QUALIFICATION IS DONE AFTER CONCLUDING THE ACTION PLAN - WHICH IS USUALLY SETTING AN APPOINTMENT.

Of course it is important to qualify, sure. You do not want to go to see someone who has no need, though on occasion you will anyway no matter how well you qualify. But your need to qualify is irrelevant in comparison to the prospect's need to qualify whether they should spend time with you, that is paramount, not the other way round.

So which comes first, the qualification or the appointment?

The "By the way" question that you ask after arranging an appointment - if one is needed - qualifies in your mind that it is a reasonable risk to go on tech appointment. If you asked too many questions the prospect can get annoyed, after all they gave their time, and they might start asking you what you do, in which case what is the need to keep an appointment.

In the case of the financial services industry and the benefits offered, since I know that business, if I was dtclark I would say;

"Great Mr./Ms/ Prospect, I will see you on Thursday for lunch at 11:45 in your offices. By the way, you are a shareholder in the business, correct?"

This way you know they have equity, that they are not just the President, that this can be used to leverage investing, take advantage of tax advantages and so on. But asking how much the business is worth over the phone afterward, for example, well ... that is just going too far.

In some businesses the first question would lead to one last one but more than that is definitely an invitation to BUY BACK THE APPOINTMENT.

I trust this helps. If you really want to understand this skill you need to read "The disappearing art of prospecting" and get the audio "Gold Calling" training. Neither of these are available unless you subscribe at our site. - by Gold Calling
As I stated Jolly, you cannot teach TELEPHONE PROSPECTING or GOLD CALLINGŪ in a forum thread, not very well, if at all. I just tried to supply the initial 'opening line' and why the one posted was way off track. As that was all that was included in the request for HELP by dtclark.
By the look of dtclark's reply I would conclude he's happy with the information you submitted. - by Jolly Roger
Yes, he got what he was looking for Jolly, exactly what he was looking for, even though there is an inference in this post that he should seek information else where, like on the Internet.

However, I was addressing you with the 2nd post Jolly. - by Gold Calling
However, I was addressing you with the 2nd post Jolly.
Different strokes for different folks but thanks anyway. ;sm - by Jolly Roger
Perhaps you would do us the honor of explaining what it is your different strokes is or means in real terms, we would all benefit by knowing your script or methodology Jolly.

Much appreciated. - by Gold Calling
Perhaps you would do us the honor of explaining what it is your different strokes is or means in real terms, we would all benefit by knowing your script or methodology Jolly.

Much appreciated.
This idiom means that different people do things in different ways that suit them. - by Jolly Roger
Yes, and I asked you what you do differently and how.

We would respect it greatly if you would take the effort to explain, as we might benefit from understanding why you chose to include the idiom in this thread. - by Gold Calling
Yes, and I asked you what you do differently and how.

We would respect it greatly if you would take the effort to explain, as we might benefit from understanding why you chose to include the idiom in this thread.

Here is what I can share with you;

Those who teach the most professional ways to work the phone do include a heavy segment on qualification (and, of course, qualifying includes disqualifying). This is a most critical part of the process but immense research over 5 decades has proven that it works best after the attempt for the action plan.

Please, understand, my company began this research in the 1050's!

We have a principal in my firm (I am one of three) that has been on the phone for more than 50 years and still works daily. This man has tried it all. As have i.

The reality is, in some calls you end up with quite a lot of interplay with the prospect after the opening and without an appointment set yet. However, it is far better to tell them why you can help them first than to try and learn whether or not they are suitable to you. This is the easiest way to upset the prospect, we must be prospect orientated to be successful in a HIGH PROBABILITY of the time. And prospect orientated does not mean asking superfluous questions it means asking for the appointment in a way that is NOT unreasonable.

Of course, qualification begins before the call. It begins with the screening of lists. Finding out what vertical market suits your approach and working that market through, again for a HIGHER PROBABILITY of a good result. Then you know in advance if there is an opportunity in the majority of cases.

There is so much more I can provide on this topic that it would literally require a book to complete. In fact, it did. "The disappearing art of prospecting" is almost ready to release and it is co-written with myself by The Father of Telephone Prospecting. Perhaps the only man alive who can claim to have been B2B prospecting for more than 50 years.

These skills opened a 12.1 million dollar sale at Toyota. This was without a referance and in the 75th year of stomping on this planet by the man who did the work.

It is tough in forums. How can someone like me come across without seeming egotistical when I actually know the subject better than best selling authors do (in one case glaringly so). You see, the telephone as a tool in B2B sales is NOT taught any where online even close to correctly (there is one firm that has decent stuff). And that we can say after concluding the research of approximately 200 websites.

To teach it I would need you follow something like this; read a book that is 150+ pages. Then listen to a 90 minute audio, then have you repeat parts of the audio 3 to 4 times a week for about 60 days, all the while applying the skills. By the end of that process the nuisances and wisdom of what we do and why would then be known to you (any reader I mean).

Up until that point, portions might be rejected because a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I am not a head trip or an ego freak. In fact I enjoy the status of fitting in well with other leaders. But on this subject, I am convinced, only one person in the world knows more, and he is my father. And I can tell you owners of businesses who have been approached by training companies telling them the best trainer in the world is coming to town. And that business owner stated; "That person is not the best trainer, I know the best trainer and his name is Peter Burke.

What Mitch does in this thread is not fair. And I have already been deleted for flamming on this topic but I will state my case. He refers to multi million dollar earners in MLM and suggests that they have the ability to understand what took decades of nothing but B2B approaches to master (and at the very highest level imaginable, like the Toyota sale). Yah ... ummm ... well, that is not possible.

MLMers cannot comprehend the nuisances of B2B sales with any degree of profound understanding. And I can attest to that, since I was in the MLM business as a company president! But I was a B2B trainer first (and I am a multi million dollar MLM earner too).

The two are unrelated.

I find it so upsetting in fact, that Mitch or anyone like him, would suggest that a multi million dollar MLM earner would know more about my profession, that I have actually tendered my resignation at this site as a Round Table Member and ASK THE EXPERT contributor. Further more I am only completing my contribution to this and one other thread before I stop contributing at the forum itself. That is the level of objectionable content in this thread - that anyone who has not mastered my profession can be allowed to water down serious help that I attempted to provide.

Jolly - if you think differently come on out and say so. But actually get into it. Don't state reasons only, give us your script. Lets disassemble and reassemble it, turn it over and over so that we may get others to see what and why I recommend doing things a certain way. Please realize, my book is not out, there is no way for anyone to buy from me so what I am doing here benefits me not one bit.

Mastering something does not mean you have done it for a decade. It takes a life time of dedication. And there just are not many here who are really at that level. Sadly, I will not be here either ... but that is as it may be. I would prefer to work with people who cannot get dissuaded by those who are less than professional in terms of being able to call themselves or act like trainers. - by Gold Calling
I thought my usage of the idiom was apparent but apparently not.
Different people do things in different ways that suit them. There is nothing more to it. - by Jolly Roger
The idiom does not tie to what is different. What is it that you do differently. How do you do it. Allow us to understand.

Comments like this one leave us thinking - okay, you are saying it is different but HOW?

Foprums are a place where we can grow, if we will share. - by Gold Calling
I have decided not to withdraw from putting my best foot forward in this forum. I only post this here because I noted ion this thread I was not going to contribute any longer. And my reasons I will have to keep to myself.

I will shed some light on the subject though - there is a tonne (English spelling) of bad info online. Poorly researched selling notions pervade ideas from New Age Selling schools and the consciousness of those on their way up thereby gets passed on through generations as a result. That is even happening in this forum and (dare I be bold enough to state that) I will have no part of it!

As for working the phone, there are so few real masters of this skill that it is nearly completely misunderstood. So many are bad at it that the good ones are night and day. And the limited advice one can get from a few lines of text in a forum is simply not enough to understand. Nonetheless, somewhat with futility, I try anyway. Get to understand these points;

(1) how POWER is not given up or given away by telephone prospecting when done with the highest professionalism adn real skill of interplay with prospects;

(2) how the prospect is approached on the phone in a classy way that is the very best suited for him/her needs and does reveal enough about qualification but puts the prospect's needs before our own as sales people (qualifying is a sales persons want, not the buyers want/need/desire);

(3) how a pro never sells to someone without clearly defined needs, that can in complicated sales NOT be completely known until a face-to-face meeting is conducted, and how those can be uncovered on the phone to the extent that warrants a meeting/appointment;

(4) how the highest probability of a successful conclusion in B2B selling - meaning the sale of a product or service to someone who needs and wants it - is generated most easily from a prospect that had no idea of the solution you plan to propose and was NOT looking, as in the case of dtclark's approach, that the want is revealed to the buyer during and after professional disclosure of all the applicable benefits, if I can call it that;

(5) how and why those who know they want to buy are checking out the competition and make worst prospects than #4 above;

(6) how a subtle salesperson does not offend a prospect, disarms their notion that sales people try to sell them something they don't need, partly through relationship building and partly through the professional process itself;

(7) that the perception that sales people cannot be trusted is that which was imparted on us, that values are such that we gain them 2nd hand, from our parents first, then from TV/friends/associates/spouse (who also got them 2nd hand!);

(8) that to be a great sales person you must be part accountant, part entrepreneur (to understand how they think), part psychologist, part visionary, part customer service genius, part English major and lastly a great actor.

Acting is the part least understood. You cannot act what you don't beleive. we do not become great actors to sell something that is not needed. We become great thespians to play our role in the performing art that is salespersonship, to insure that we DO NOT BLOW OUR PROSPECTS CHANCE TO BUY!

What an awesome responsibility you have. If they have a need and don't buy it is your fault. It was because you did not work to become good enough at wearing one or more of those hats, not because the prospect has an inherent distrust of sales people.

Selling schools that believe B2C notions apply in B2B selling that all encompassing statements like; the buyer is better informed today. This is simply not true, every case is different. In over 100 face to face selling situations this past fall not a single one of my prospects had done any research of what I offered online, not even one. Why?

Ask yourself if how you buy personally really applies to what happens in all buying situations in business. But if you are unaware of how to sell to someone who did not plan to buy then how can you comprehend this question. Your values are based on how you buy when you were motivated to buy before the sales person was contacted. And not the other way around.

What can you understand???

Yes, selling is the greatest profession in the world. Partly because sales people are not as respected as they should be and still feel fantastic about themselves. Prospects do not gain power from sales people's style of approach, sales people loose power because of lack of total belief that they are able to help.

I have researched at least three sales schools that have their notions completely backwards. They base their sales dogma on how they buy as a CONSUMER, with no real research on what happens in business - B2B sales.

I spoke yesterday to yet another person who believes the whole world is changing more and more rapidly. I cannot believe how backwards this approach is and ask one simple simultaneously deep and shallow question; How different are you?

"Oh, my goodness, very different. I check everything out online before I go to buy." Right, So what? What has that got to do with your need to be loved and nurtured, to protect your well being and your family? You mean to say that if you own a business and I call you on the phone with a very sharp idea of how you can better nurture or protect yourself/your family you will fell I was powerless, that I gave away my power because I did that on a phone? or that you will not listen because you did not look it up online first?

Does the phrase *** backwards sort of sum this up for you? It sure does for me. Wants, needs and desires are things that come from our core. Our foundation of beliefs. Some of us feel we have to look important and that a Jaguar and great suit do that, others feel it internally. So what?

The point is; if what you offer goes to the core of belief of the buyer then you will get an order. It is really that simple.

Solutions to problems that do not yet exist in the mind of the prospect are common, at least to really great sales approaches. Take a look in another thread of Outsource Sales, he found two charitable organizations with copier needs that could share a big duplicator and made a sale where other sales people would have given up because one board said "We cannot afford that" which was true. He created the desire to buy by putting two needs together and got a sale. He should change his nick here to OUTSTANDING SALES!

Want to be better in selling? Become a better person, then really learn this profession. Start by re-evaluating your notions of sales people. Rebuild yourself and along the way you will gain a belief that is infectious, that prospects believe too, then you will not give away power in any sales practice, on the phone or face to face.

Now clearly, this post, part rant, was motivated by a post that was deleted from this thread by the admin of this site. It jumps from a question about telephone prospecting to why sales as a profession in terms of various sales schools has gotten off track.

I make no apologies for doing this. I am a champion of the profession. And I can tell you that a group of sales people today on average are not as impressive as they were 35 to 40 years ago. If you feel yourself looking for the reason for failure outside of you, you are off track completely.

Best of luck. - by Gold Calling
Selling schools that believe B2C notions apply in B2B selling that all encompassing statements like; the buyer is better informed today. This is simply not true, every case is different. In over 100 face to face selling situations this past fall not a single one of my prospects had done any research of what I offered online, not even one. Why?
I'm new here, but I don't believe in letting any grass grow under my feet. Read a few of your posts. Xerox training (B2B), right? I think someone else here had that background. I just want to point out that some of the "closes" you guys have touted are the same, word for word, as were used by encyclopedia salesmen. (B2C)

No offense, Sir, but I really do believe that the world is changing, and yes it does effect how we must sell. Since those 1950s you talk about, the various processes of distribution have undergone radical change. People are people, yes I agree, but major cultural and economic lines have been redrawn, and we can't live in the past and survive in this profession. You have your way to sell and others have theirs. Its a free country, and at least that hasn't changed. - by Perez
I'm new here, but I don't believe in letting any grass grow under my feet. Read a few of your posts. Xerox training (B2B), right? I think someone else here had that background. I just want to point out that some of the "closes" you guys have touted are the same, word for word, as were used by encyclopedia salesmen. (B2C)

No offense, Sir, but I really do believe that the world is changing, and yes it does effect how we must sell. Since those 1950s you talk about, the various processes of distribution have undergone radical change. People are people, yes I agree, but major cultural and economic lines have been redrawn, and we can't live in the past and survive in this profession. You have your way to sell and others have theirs. Its a free country, and at least that hasn't changed.
Hi Perez,

What is your way of selling? - by Skip Anderson
Hi Perez,

What is your way of selling?
Oh, my goodness, Sir, that is certainly a very general question and I am a very busy man, so please understand. I guess I sell perhaps like you, that is based on my beliefs. Some of my beliefs I put in my second paragraph above. I will try to post more when I have time, but my business and sales must come first. I hope you feel the same way even though it is nice to talk with other people in sales sometimes. Good luck to you always. - by Perez
Some of my beliefs I put in my second paragraph above.
It looks to me like your second paragraph described your beliefs about how not to sell, but I didn't see any description whatsoever in how you think we should sell. Here's your second paragraph that you refer to:

No offense, Sir, but I really do believe that the world is changing, and yes it does effect how we must sell. Since those 1950s you talk about, the various processes of distribution have undergone radical change. People are people, yes I agree, but major cultural and economic lines have been redrawn, and we can't live in the past and survive in this profession. You have your way to sell and others have theirs. Its a free country, and at least that hasn't changed.
You talk about radical change and redrawing of cultural/economic lines and that we can't live in the past and still survive in sales.

You state that "the world is changing" and "it does effect how we must sell."

So please share with the community: how "must" we sell? (sometimes it's easier to criticize another point-of-view than it is to offer a better alternative). - by Skip Anderson
In your opinion Perez how have the radical changes in various processes and distribution affected how we must sell... specifically? - by Jolly Roger
Excellent Perez, love to see you taking a risk with your comments. Now please back up your statement with actual examples.

By the way, XEROX PSS did not teach closing techniques in terms of anything other than restating the accepted benefits and asking for the business in a very generic way. Advanced closing was not a part of that basic skills course, nor was there any learning about prospecting, my favorite subject.

We are all busy. So, that cannot be the reason why you didn't give us examples, as we manage to commit the 1/2 a day 4 days a week on average to get that accomplished and feel that if you wanted to, you would as well. Be daring, come on, none of us bite.

Closing is a fascinating topic, one that few really get. Since the first recording of J. Douglas Edwards throughout the nearly 50 years since what has not changed is sales people know 2 closes on average and only one regularly. Edwards suggested that you needed to know approximately 10 to max-out your potential.

Yes, the world has changed. The words you would use today are slightly different. However, you still need to deal with "I want to think it over", "I have to talk to my partner",. "I have to talk with my wife" as well as attitudes. How do you manage it when these things come up? Do you risk waiting? or do you go for it?

Skepticism, Indifference and Objection as well as Acceptance, these attitudes are identical today as they were not only 50 years ago but 2,000 years ago. You can say people know more (which applies in general to consumer purchases) but does that mean they don't feel? And feelings are what causes ATTITUDES.

Closing is not a different skill in B2C. Prospecting is (or can be), which is what this thread was about. Perhaps there is a little confusion here because I got off track.

Okay, you read something I wrote in a thread about closing. And you stated that the closes were the same as what is used for working with a consumer in a professional sale, ding - ding - ding. Absolutely bang on man. Why is that?

Because people are just people. And every person has slightly different values but they all feel the same emotions. To reinforce this comment - do you think the world changing will affect depression? Will that state-of-mind no longer exist? In fact, it is very likely that as we move farther away from living simply that there will be more of it but that is not my point. What I am saying is; emotions and reactions to people have not changed nor will they ever change. we are simply human beings and no matter how much knowledge exists on the world wide web there is only so much time in a day and we only have some much range of emotion. Plus we all gain our values the same way (mostly 2nd hand), how are we as people really changing?

Again, prospecting varies greatly in B2B from B2C. Many years ago I went door to door for my own business, selling Door Viewers that I installed on the spot. Banging on a house is a lot different than walking into a reception of a business, would you not agree? And for certain calling the president of a business is far different than talking to a home owner who is a truck driver or service technician or computer programmer.

New Age school say - people know more. Really? How do you figure? The read less so why do they know more???

Okay, so we have the Internet. So information moves more quickly - heck I had designed and own outright a full blown contact manager system that is designed to receive and move information faster and to customize it. In other words; I love technology and use it to the max but I don't beleive that makes us as individuals any different than we were 10 years ago or 2,000 ... except we live more frantically.

Love this subject, I really do. I have spent my career studying it in great depth.

Let's hit back on Xerox of a moment. They sold PSS (professional Selling Systems), it originally was a wholly owned subsidiary, called Xerox Learning Systems, then became International Learning Systems. After getting rid of that piece of the puzzle, in their corporate wisdom, they bought into SPIN. That was the 1980's training model. Then they wen to Buyer Focused Selling and now they are on Client Centered Selling, a consultative approach. They also have used Target Account Selling (TAS).

Like you Perez, Xerox thought they had to adapt. Now, what do you want to bet that was in reaction to their other corporate policies, the ones that lost them worldwide domination in the copier market, rather than in how people have changed?

Using the common corporate strategy of VALUE ADDED SELLING (in the 90's and early 200o's) or the CONSULTATIVE approach, did these things change us, the business buyer?

If you beleive that sales schools do not change people, that people are just people, and if you also accept what psychologists have been telling us for decades, that the range of emotions we feel are pretty close for all of us & that they have not altered worth noting in recorded history, what is to blame for the reaction of sales trainers???

A study that says people know more? So what? They still feel the same (and I am not conceding that all people know more but even if they did how would that affect B2B sales?)!

Here is one for you to ponder; what is at the core of a general distrust of sales people? Personal expereince? Umm, sorry, that is not the case. The root of this evil begins else where.

Here is a real life story, one from this month; my mother-in-law was buying a computer and we decided we did not like a certain retail business supply chain. She said "You know why Steve?" To which I do what I always do, I used an open probe; "well, I might have a notion, but what do you think?" In order to let her tell me what was on her mind. She said "because they are on commission there, that is why they are not as friendly!"

Hmmm. I can tell you what I think. I beleive that the corporate philosophy of this chain needs a visit from Skip. The reason why they treat people the way they do is not commission. It is lack of understanding and training is at the root of that. And the decision not to train is one made by the top execs in this HUGE publicly traded corporation. And that is why staff turn around is ridiculously high and why we, as consumers are starting not to like them. Maybe they will react slowly to this too and end up losing their position at the top of their market segment!

Here we go, I can say that I personally know a sales person who can sell rings around everyone on this website. And he is 78.

If things have changed why is he the top New Business Generator at not one but two worldwide companies? And I mean top globally - for both -simultaneously.

Because he worked harder on himself. Because he worked harder at mastering the skills we need to do well. And because he just works harder period.

General statements of the world is changing, you better change with it bely that people react exactly the same as they always did to professional approaches - not to amateurs but to pros. Well, hold on, no, they react the same to amateurs too - badly!

if you want to tell me that we have to adapt tell me how. Be specific. If you can't then I would challenge you to realize that your all encompassing statement has little merit. Perhaps you need some evidence to back it up.

I recently listened to about an hour of a taped teleconference call that went on and on about changes. The facilitator asked questions of the sales people taking this course and they answered. And he used those answers to support his points. Some of the people there laughed as he supported the fact that sales people are not perceived well. And this supported the overall theme that the world is changing.

Did you ever watch the movie Glengarry Glen Ross? It was a play written by world renowned David Mamet. This peice of literature won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1984, about the highest award there is. It was above Tin Salesmen, either in the 60's or the 50's ... just watch that movie or read the play and you will see that sales people are perceived in general about exactly the same way today as they were when this notions occurred to Mamet. Nothing has changed in the way we treat each other or in core values, certainly not in emotions.

So, what of this New Age teleconference training? Since sales people have not been trusted since Snake Oil Salesmen and all the way back to biblical carpet sales mane and biblical town square markets, then what? Could it be that these trainers prey on the weak minded and uneducated, in other words are they deceivers (much like the Snake Oil Sales people)? Or are they the other kind of purveyors of information, the ones far more dangerous because there is not way to read that they are deceiving you, the deceived?

Come on, this is not a place for opinions. It is a place for fact. Back your stuff up ...

Let's really get down to it!

I know you are good enough Perez, show us that you have thought your opinion through, that you have actually researched it personally. - by Gold Calling
Make that a HALF HOUR A DAY.

There are a lot of typos in my post above, I sure hope that does not distract from the meaning. As this stuff needs to be said.

One thing is certain, if everyone here will actually lay it on the line, back up their opinions with proof, actually come out and give us skills instead of just opinions, we will all grow. Regardless of right or wrong, isn't this just personal growth? I mean what matters how we get there as long as the journey is made?

The trouble with opinions is - no one can learn anything. The world is changing, you better change. Really? exactly how is it your propose I do that?

See what I mean? - by Gold Calling
Hello All,

Just thought I would add my 2 cents. There are other ways other then the use of scripts to cold call. Prospects are not responding well to scripts today because they are growing tired of the constant push of sales onto them.

No one likes getting cold calls....remember what you did the last time one called your house?

No one likes the use of scripts as a way to make a sale. Scripts are cold and un-personal. We you take the time out of your busy day to listen to someones script? How can you expect them to want too.

Prospects are not accepting as they used to be and not longer want to hear about how great your product is....they merely want to hear what it will do for them...and what kind of deal they are going to get from it.

Opening up a call with a script is not giving the prospect time to interact with you...most people will hang up or tune you and your script out as soon as you say..."Hello my name is...john"

Next time start out with something like:

"Hello I was wondering if you could help me?"

This will compell them to listen for more. Use this time to show them how your product/service can help their issues or problems in their business at that time.

Insurance selling:

Example-

"it has come to my attention that you are currently getting all the health benefits your employees deserve with your current plan would you be open to more suggestions...?"

This will open up conversation and you can tell them the benefits of your plan...etc...

If you are good salesmen you would want your clients/prospects to get the best deal and the most for their money...this will allow you to help them with that...without sounding too.."Salesy" - by lrobertson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.