Home > Personal Selling > Best advice for a rookie?

Best advice for a rookie?

Hi everybody currently i am a freshman in college studying marketing. I hope to one day start my own business or become a top notch sales person. What would be the best advice for somebody like me. I really appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks again

MoneyMaker - by MoneyMaker
MoneyMaker, congratulations on your forward-thinking question. As a freshman in college, you are to be commended for your participation here in this forum. Here are some recommendations for you:

1. Secure a sales position at a company that offers excellent sales training and sales mentoring. This might be part-time while you're in college, or your first job after graduating. Although many companies tout their sales training during interviews, most don't understand do a very good job at sales training or mentoring. Sales training and mentoring is an ongoing process, it's not a week of classes that you get at the beginning of your employment. Get a sales coach at some point if you can't find a job that offers top-level mentoring.

2. Choose your early jobs carefully, as they will help define your future career path to some degree (some people get pigeon-holed into a career and find it difficult to make a change after they learn more about what industry or type of sales they like the best).

3. Start a small business now. Perhaps you already have. I recall from your posts here at SP that you seem quite entrepreneurial. Figure out something that you're passionate about and start, manage, and grow a business around it. What you will learn doing this will be extraordinarily valuable, and could possibly even evolve into a long-term business venture.

4. Network, network, network. Start growing your network of individuals now, and foster that network the rest of your life. These individuals are the ones that will provide you advice, support when you need it, information, friendship, and access to other people as you proceed down your career path. One caveat: networking isn't just about you, it's also about them, so give before you expect to receive.

5. If you haven't already done so, get StrengthsFinder 2.0 (book) by Tom Rath and take the SF assessment. The Gallup Organization has done extraordinary research into how important our strengths are in achievement and performance, so identify yours now and spend your time and effort focusing on opportunities, projects, and jobs that use your strengths.

The best to you, MM!

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
Thanks for the very in-depth answer, I really appreciate it. thmbp2; - by MoneyMaker
Hi MoneyMaker,

Someone once said, "Sales is the hardest high-paying job, and the easiest low-paying job." So by getting into sales and running your own business, you have the potential of having a great financial future.

My suggestions for your success would be:

1. Make sure you finish your education and take classes that would definitely benefit your future endeavor.

2. Begin developing your plan of attack for your future company. You can begin doing this now since you'll have plenty of time to keep updating it. Also, you might not get your own business right out of college since it will take a capital investment on your part. So start creating a list of companies you'd like to work for, and start sending your resumes before you graduate. You don't want to be without a job once graduation comes, since it will sneak up on you before you know it.

3. Becoming successful in sales and business takes a mental, as well as a physical commitment. Keep your head straight, work hard, and seek the advice of successful people in the field that interests you. Successful people are always willing to help.

These, along with Skip's suggestion should help you start thinking about your success in the business world. - by Mike Whitty
Here is a piece of advice by Jason C Miller (Selling by the Numbers) I saw posted elsewhere that I believe is a true gem and can be applied to a variety of situations:
"Before you do anything, you must be crystal clear on what you're trying to achieve. If you aren't, you'll waste a lot of time wandering around until you figure it out. Once you know precisely what you're trying to accomplish, you will plainly see if all the craziness you engage in during the day is helping you get there."
- by Jeff Blackwell
For your personal development in sales, I recommend the book "You can't teach a kid to ride a bike at a seminar", by David Sandler. - by salesxpert
Hi everybody currently i am a freshman in college studying marketing. I hope to one day start my own business or become a top notch sales person. What would be the best advice for somebody like me. I really appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks again

MoneyMaker
My advise for a rookie is never quit bein a rookie.

Rookies are eager.
Rookies are intent upon and do the things necessary to becoming professional
Rookies pay attention and are prepared

Then they grow up and forget what they did as rookies....

If I could bless you with one thought that I pass on from Herb True, it's never stop bein a rookie and reach for the stars.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.