Home > Personal Selling > Any suggestions on how to improve my calls?

Any suggestions on how to improve my calls?

I offer window tinting services to residential customers... mainly. Every now and then commercial projects come up, but I don't actively go after them. (Another issue all together)

One of the things I am trying to do for '08 is to partner up with more interior decorators. There are two that I currently work with and has worked out well over the past few years. Generally their clients use me due to the referral they get from their decorator.

When I first started my business I went through a list of decorators that I got from the yellowpages, and basically I would call one up and ask if their clients ever have the need to get their windows tinted, and if so, are they currently working with any window tinters to provide that service.

I'd get some that said yes, they have a need, and they would ask to have some info sent to them. I'd have others that already worked with companies, and many just said no their clients never asked about it.

So after reading this forum, as well as talking with other shop owners, I got to thinking that my approach wasn't good...

Currently, my plan is to make the call, and ask them something like would they be interested in adding additional income of their services by offering window tinting to their clients.

Or something along those lines.

Years ago I was working at a ski shop and one of the managers had Brain Tracy's audio tapes and I borrowed them to see if I could use anything he suggested at that job. And one of the things he says on the tapes is information is to be left, not sent. And when you send something in the mail they just throw it away... and it's a waste of time.

Of course, what did I do when someone asked me to send them info? I said sure and sent it away. Hahahhaha.

So I don't think I wanna do that anymore if I can help it.

Any suggestions on how I can approach decorators when I contact them on the phone for the first time??

Thanks!!

Ianto - by Ianto Jones
First of all you need to have top placement in all your markets in the search engines for key words that apply to your business...do nothing else until you have that!! Then if you are going to mail anything you must use only Jumbo Post Cards 6"x9" with a precise call to action (discount by this date, free estimate, 1 free window with 3 done, etc.). You use post cards b/c you know they are going to get thrown away but at least they read what you have to say before filed in the trash. You need a really professional Door Hanger with a call to action that resembles the post cards and you go door to door or you pay some kid $30 bucks to do the entire neighborhood. These are just a few ideas that have worked wonders in other industries but are essential in your business. - by rwilfong
thmbp2; I do all those as well. I send out the jumbo postcards... then do a round of door hangers... then cards again. Rinse & repeat.

I just know having contacts with power partners helps.. if for no other reason, those leads are warm/hot and easier to close. sn; - by Ianto Jones
So you are actively doing internet marketing to place yourself at the top of the search engines?? - by rwilfong
First of all you need to have top placement in all your markets in the search engines for key words that apply to your business...do nothing else until you have that!!
This is something that I personally couldn't support. In my opinion top placement is ideal for many businesses but not all.

I just know having contacts with power partners helps.. if for no other reason, those leads are warm/hot and easier to close.
I think you're on the right track with this. thmbp2; - by Houston
So you are actively doing internet marketing to place yourself at the top of the search engines??
Sorry... no, that is one that I haven't been working on. I was using Google adwords last summer... and I might again this year, but I'm not sure. I didn't get many calls due to my website. (I ask every call how they heard of me so I can track what works and what doesn't) - by Ianto Jones
Hello Ianto,
There are a few things I could suggest:

1. Are you paying attention to your demeaor before each call? How you sound or come across in the cold call? It is important that you don't sound overly entergetic or change the tone of your voice in any way this will only cause the prospect/client to become defensive or stereo-type you.

2. I see that you are not using a traditional script and instead asking questions which is good. However you must continue this throughout the call. Don't push the answers out of the prospects this will create too much pressure. They will fold. Simply be sure you give them enough time to answer and keep two-way conversation going.

3. Do not re-initiate the conversation wait for them to do it. This will show them you are not like the other sales people you are considering their feelings.

This will aid you in more helpful ideas for your cold calling experiences.

Good Luck!
Smiles, - by lrobertson
Thanks for the suggestions. I try to sound as conversational (ie. not reading a script) and friendly as possible.

I think the biggest mistake I made last time was coming across with what they can do for me, rather then what I can do for them.

This week has been rather busy, so I haven't had the chance to make any calls, but I have set aside two days next week to work down my list of places to call. - by Ianto Jones
Another possibility is to leverage your customer base. When your customer is pleased with your work, you would leave behind referral cards for them to give out to the friends. They will probably be discussing your work anyway.
In some cases, a bonus to the customer is made if their friend signs an order. - by wayne.regehr
I don't leave referral cards - just my normal business cards and I ask them to pass them out to anyone who might be interested.

Is that what you mean you making up a postcard size card type thing? - by Ianto Jones
Internet Marketing is key in just about every business plan. Once you get a flawless traffic report and key word research you can do wonders with lead capture through the internet.

Success,

Rory Wilfong - by rwilfong
What you may consider is sending each of the interior decorators a mailer offering to pass them a discount or referral fee for each client they send to you.

Also you may consider reaching out to builders handy man services and other markets for referrals!
- by Lance_Best
Another thought on your situation would be that you would do a few free windows for the decorators at their home so they see the value in your services for promotion.

I think commercial business would be huge for you. I have had 2 buildings that I had to have tinting done that were commercial properties....but never for a residential property.

I feel that everyone that has windows is a prospect for you and the key is doing a variety of marketing to be in their face when they think of window tinting or when they know someone that needs tinting....you really should not overlook the internet as huge for your biz.

Success,

Another thought on your situation would be that you would do a few free windows for the decorators at their home so they see the value in your services for promotion.
That actually isn't a bad idea... and one I never considered. Thanks! thmbp2;

I think commercial business would be huge for you. I have had 2 buildings that I had to have tinting done that were commercial properties....but never for a residential property.
It can be a big part... a couple other local companies that sub out work do a ton of commercial jobs.. I just haven't pursued that area as yet.

Ianto - by Ianto Jones
What are the benefits of window tinting and why would a person want it done in the first place. That should be the basis of every type of marketing material, call, etc. Write down all the many benefits of window tinting, then make some type of script, etc. and let it be the basis of all your marketing. Remember, information - tells; benefits - sell. - by mcaldwell
Best of success to you and your business....like I said treat it like everyone that has windows is a Prospect and you will be beyond busy. Also, people with Windows search online for your business....trust me.

Success,

I sat down last nite and when thru online listings of interior designers in an area I wanted to hit and got a list of about 15 names and addresses. Went out today to visit them all. What a waste. lol

I should have done a 'birds eye' view of the map to see if they were homes or offices. Most of them were personal homes, which I didn't feel comfortable just knocking on their doors. If they had a sign or something signifying a home-office I would have, but none did. So I drove around a lot for no good reason. thmbdn2;

I did stop in at two that had offices, one of which wasn't even on my list but I had seen a few weeks ago when I was in the area doing an estimate. Spoke with two very nice designers, who said they have client ask about tinting every now and then and didn't currently have anyone to refer them too... so they took some of my cards. thmbp2;

The other place was really interested. I'm going to send them out a packet of info on my biz.. which I should have had with me but I didn't know I was as low on supplies as I am and I needed them for a couple appointments coming up over the next few days.

Tomorrow I'm working the phones all day. Save me some gas. I keep flip flopping on whats better.... calling or visiting. I'd rather go to them in person.... but it's much, MUCH more time consuming.

Saturday I'm canvassing residential.... hopefully I'll get some interest then. :thup - by Ianto Jones
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.