Home > Personal Selling > What sales coach?

What sales coach?

Who would you consider as a sales coach to invest in to improve your overall performance? I saw several posts about how to take your talent to the next level with the help of a coach. So who or where should I look. Thanks for your comments. - by MoneyMaker
Do you know in what specific areas you want coaching in, MoneyMaker? I ask that because knowing that can help you find the right person/training for you.

MitchM - by MitchM
Well not really seeing how i am a rookie at this, i guess there are coaches for every aspect of selling? - by MoneyMaker
Who would you consider as a sales coach to invest in to improve your overall performance? I saw several posts about how to take your talent to the next level with the help of a coach. So who or where should I look. Thanks for your comments.
Before you look for a coach, in my opinion, you should answer these questions for yourself:

1. Exactly what do I want to accomplish with a coach? (where do I want to end up?)

2. What length of time committment do I have to the coach/client relationship? (1 week? 1 month? 1 year? 2 years?, etc.; Also, do you envision have a coaching session once per week? Every other week? Once per month? On an "as needed" basis?)

3. Specifically, what issues do I want to address with a coach? (the more specific, the better).

After you have that information, you can inform potential coaches of your answers. Then you should interview your potential coach; ask him/her questions (just as if you were buying a product or service - which is exactly what you're doing) so that you can find someone that is a personality fit for you, and an expertise fit for you, because you want someone who's going to help you get to where you want to be.

There are coaches that specialize in every area of personal development and business (overcoming adversity; relationship; financial; marketing; psychic; weight loss; spiritual; etc.). Find someone that is a match for what you need. If you want a sales coach, make sure you find someone who has selling expertise, not just a coach that says they coach salespeople.

You should also find out their policies: do they require a minimum commitment? how do they want to get paid? etc.

As far as finding a coach, there are coaches that participate on this forum, or you can hit the 'net and search for coaches. If you know people who have used a sales coach, ask for referrals. Most coaching takes place on the phone, so location isn't as important as finding a good fit. Some clients do prefer to meet in person, and if that's you, then you need to find someone in your community.

I hope that helps. - by Skip Anderson
Skip gives you some good things to ponder, MoneyMaker. Defining what you want and don't want is your first objective and that can come by: 1. self analysis and 2. surfing many resources to see what there is you may use.

When I work with new distributors one of the things we do is a personal inventory to identify what's thought to be strengths and weaknesses - we analyze those things - and see what conclusions we can draw.

BUT defining what you want is something that can take time and not always hit the mark. Then comes finding a good sales training match that not only offers what you want but is also good informtion.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
It's important to take a hard look at yourself and assess your strengths and weaknesses and where you need improvement. A good coach will help you to do this.

Also in finding someone who is a match, you need to match their style of coaching. Are you looking for someone who uses their own agenda or your's? Do you want someone to go easy on you or be in your face and keep you accountable? - by Jim Klein
MM, are you seeking someone to follow-up on certain training which has been delivered? Or, are you looking for someone to provide "life services" (ie. at a personal vs business level)?

If it is the former (ie. a coach to fu on sales training), which training discipline? And, where are you located?

Good luck & Good selling!
Pat - by OUTSource Sales
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.