Home > Personal Selling > Long, Complex Sales Cycle

Long, Complex Sales Cycle

Does anyone know whos got the best reading material on this type of "relationship" style selling?

I couldnt find any clear titles on Amazon...

Thanks, - by klozer
"relationship" style selling?
I'm curious whether you are looking for information on how to better manage long complex sales cycles (as the title of your post indicates) or whether you are interested in improving skills to manage relationships you have with buyers (as the quoted section indicates).

Are you encountering longer sales cycles because you (a) have difficulties building and/or managing relationships - or - (b) have difficulty driving a long complex sales cycle and think that a lack of relationship management skills may be the problem? It's a kind of convoluted question, but you'll see that I'm actually asking you to choose one of two options.

I would also like to know a little about what you are selling and to whom you sell (company types and executive titles.)

Let me know and I will be happy to make some reading recommendations.

I look forward to helping out. - by jcundiff
"I'm curious whether you are looking for information on how to better manage long complex sales cycles (as the title of your post indicates) or whether you are interested in improving skills to manage relationships you have with buyers (as the quoted section indicates)."

Actually both. I'm not currently in a long sales environment, per se, but was interested in the dynamics of a long selling cycle, particularly high ticket sales...

Whats the first title that comes to mind? - by klozer
There are a couple of good books that I have always liked that contain actual methods and tools (as opposed to feel-good motivational-type books).

Some of the best are:

Hope is Not a Strategy (Rick Page) (IMHO, the best book ever written on all the factors that control a complex, big-ticket sale including how to understand and plan for issues regarding politics, preference, power. Rick founded a company to merge all of the best complex sales techniques plus many he developed into one consistent methodology. It's also a quick read. When you pick it up make sure you have a highlighter.)

Solution Selling (Michael Bosworth) ((The seminal book on managing complex sales and where the term solution selling originated.)

CustomerCentric Selling (Michael Bosworth and John Holland) (Mike's follow-on book updating the the concepts first outlined in Solution Selling.)

There are many more but these will get you started. Let me know how it goes. - by jcundiff
"that contain actual methods and tools (as opposed to feel-good motivational-type books)."

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you kind sir. - by klozer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.