Home > Resistance > What would your response be?

What would your response be?

Hi all,

I was just interested in knowing what your response would be to a prospect who is hesitent about purchasing your product because he has never heard of your company?

I have recently been in this situation. The prospects is interested in selling my product but is hesitant because of the unfamiliar brand name even though he is convinced that the product is fantastic.

I look forward to reading your responses - by United
ďIím glad you brought that up. We have many satisfied clients who will attest to the power and effectiveness of this type of service. I hope you can appreciate that they run a business just like you do, so please donít spend to much time with them when you callÖ but if thatís all itís going to take to earn your business, does this mean we can go forward with this? OK, letís get the paperwork going before you give some of our happy clients a call.Ē - by Jim Klein
We've built a substantial business with products from a company virtually no one we've worked with knew of before our introduction. These are people who use products and who sell products.

What we've done is first prospect continuously for people who want our products or business. That initially begins with an I WANT after a prospecting call/offer then followed by the selling part which is to see if it's going to be a match of mutuality including trust in a relationship that has merit.

In that selling process we answer those questons about our company which include its twenty year history (this year) in every aspect: product line and manufacturing, distribution, product results, business plan, corporate leadership, public record, etc. In other words, whatever is important to the prospect we answer with complete transparency.

What's important for you is to find out why the prospect is hesitant - what that means and why it's a road block. In the case you mentioned that prospect may be one you want to disqualify - you can only know that with an inquiry to see if mutual conditions of satisfaction can be reached.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
Hi all,

I was just interested in knowing what your response would be to a prospect who is hesitent about purchasing your product because he has never heard of your company?

I have recently been in this situation. The prospects is interested in selling my product but is hesitant because of the unfamiliar brand name even though he is convinced that the product is fantastic.

I look forward to reading your responses
Hi United. Good question. I'll offer a suggestion:

"I can understand your hesitance to purchase from a company that you're not familiar with. Frankly, I would feel exactly the same way if I were in your shoes."

And then:

"If I can provide you with enough information about our company so that you don't feel hesitant anymore, would you move forward with your purchase from our company?"

If the prospect says "yes", then you provide the proof that the prospect requires and then follow with a closing action. If the prospect says "no", then you've got some other objections which have not yet seen the light of day, so you need to probe more to find out what's on the prospect's mind.

The best to you, United.

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
Hi United,

I recommend new companies create a case study for each customer/client showing the impact and ROI of your product or service.

Next obtain testimonials from satisfied customers/clients. In addition, obtain referrals from your satisfied customers/clients, because they are easier to sell. Both of these should be standard practice.

Third, I recommend starting with a small trial or pilot program to prove value. This minimizes their risk of choosing to do business with you. - by mnicksjr
Depending on the product or service the value is really placed on the customer service and support after the sale regardless of the reputation of the recognized name. By proving the value of the "After the Sale" piece, you should be able convince your prospect that you are the best. Do not forget they are buying you and what you believe.

Success,

Rory Wilfong - by rwilfong
Hi all,

I look forward to reading your responses
I'd try researching this product's development history. Maybe there's a technology that's familiar in another area. - by Wonderboy
I would suggest that you find a belief change script and use it at the beginning of your presentation. Once you have done that you can install a new empowering belief about your company. The best time to overcome an objection is before it grows into one. - by girlclozer
So are you saying, girlclozer, that what we have to do (what you do) is go into a sale with the idea that using a "belief change script" we can "use it at the beginning of (a) presentation (so that) once (we've) done that (we) can install a new empowering belief about (our) company" in that person's mind?

This could really be instructive - if you would give a very detailed account of doing exactly what you just posted with the before and after belief in the person you empowered with a new "mind set" and the outcome of the process.

MitchM - by MitchM
No problem and thanks for the nice reply. I usually dont post on these types of forums because people tend to get a little grouchy.

Ok here is what I do. (Again, I learned this from a course I took. Not my personal expertise)

Since I go into the presentation knowing that I work for a company that my client probably has never heard of before, I know this is going to be a concern.

The steps go like this:
1. elicit exsisting belief (in this case about our company)
2. Validate the belief
3. Install new belief
4. Calibrate

This is what I do:
Bob and Mary, I am sure when you came to my office you had some expectations about what today was going to be like, do you mind sharing with me what those are?

They will usually say some nice things and after a while they will start to bring up the fact that they never heard of my company before. I will ask themt to elaborate as to why that is a concern. They will then say something like, well we never heard of you before and some companies in this indusry really hard sell people into something they dont want or need.

ah....now I got em. I have exposed the belief. Thats step one. Step 2 is where most go wrong. They argue the belief which is not going to work. Step to is to validate the belief.

So I then say "Well Bob and Mary, let me just say this....You are exactly right!!!!

short pause

"Had you visited today with some generic broker that would be a realistic expectation"

Now for the new belief

"However today you made the wise choice of meeting with (name your company) We have been in business for....(then go througha long and extensive list that demonstrates company crediblity and prominant people that do business with me. then show how we couldnt do all of this if we submitted our valuable guest to high pressure or cheap tactics.

Then calibrate:

"Now Bob and Mary, I'll be you are glad to hear that arent you?"
If they look relieved then I START the presentation.

This has worked very well for me. I have to say though that I dont do it justice. If you go to timelineselling.com they have a better explaination.

Hope this helps - by girlclozer
In the words of Dr. Phil (which seems fitting in this context) how is that working for you?

MitchM - by MitchM
I am what they call a "raving fan"

Its all about quality of life. - by girlclozer
I don't know what you sell but how many ABCs have you sold using this method in what period of time? Also, everyone can benefit from this - how many contacts/appointments did it take to make those sales?

MitchM - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.