Home > Consumer Behavior > Stubborn Clients. Best Product, Best Service and Benefits, and still won't buy! UGH!

Stubborn Clients. Best Product, Best Service and Benefits, and still won't buy! UGH!

I am in shock, but should not be surprised at people considering the market I am selling to, which is primarily seniors. I am now in my 2nd week of in the field sales training for an insurance product primarily aimed at senior citizens on Medicare.

Twice now, I have been in presentations where we can save the person a couple THOUSAND dollars in premiums a year AND provide more coverage and service for the money, and yet they still want to stick with their old coverage that is not nearly as good.

I know our product is the best on the market, the customer service is 2nd to none and the benefits are superior to anyone else out there. The reason why I went with the company is because the people were more concerned about the people than they were with separating them from their money, where other places I applied to it was ONLY about the money.

Sometimes I just feel like pulling out my hair (which I don't have much of anymore) and saying...

"Are YOU NUTS!? You just told us your current company is messing with you, and we can save you the value of a nice week long cruise, or a new top of the line computer system EACH year, and you want to stick with the OLD company?"

I feel like I am trying to run a fly circus, or I am trying to get a bunch of plates spinning at the same time or something. - by Boxurian
Boxurian, you sound frustrated. Here are a couple quick questions I have:

1. Have you been able to determine why you're reaching a dead end with your prospects? Have you asked them? If so, do you trust their answer?

2. Do you have a mentor in the company you now work for? Can you seek advice from a seasoned pro or a sales manager to give you a different perspective?

3. Are you winning over your prospects? Do they like you? Do they trust you? Do you engage them?

4. Is your sales process well conceived to make it easy for prospects to buy?

I don't know enough about your situation to be able to offer much help, but maybe if you could answer those questions that would be a good start. - by Skip Anderson
Hi Boxurian - I went through a similar negative response a few years ago which actually put me into a rage that lasted about three months - "these idiots," I ranted to myself out loud raging at the wind, at the trees, at the moon. It was quite an instructive time for me.

Assuming you represent 1. a product that has a market because of it's price, it's service, it's quality, it's integrity and assuming 2. you are willing to go through your own learning curve to understand sales, and 3. assuming where you live is well populated with senior citizens - you are sitting on a gold mine of opportunity.

My relevation was that reqardless of the price, quality, service, integrity of what I was selling, at any given moment in prospecting time only a small percentage would need, want, and be willing to pay for my products. All the communication skills and arguments, all the over coming objections and laying discovering needs and wants meant nothing if at that moment the prospect was non responsive and very low probability.

When I understood that and found a couple of mentors - one I had all along and one I met who wrote a book - I sharpened my prospecting skills and began to quickly disqualify non responsive, low probability prospects. AND sales increased.

I suggest you sharpen your prospecting calls, study many resources including the book "High Probability Selling," and be patient. Seniors may be set in their ways and identify with their insurance policy out of habit, out of spouses insistence, out of loyalty EVEN when you can offer them better coverage at a savings.

BUT you are surrounded by seniors who will let you write them up when they need, want, and are willing to change for whatever reasons they've arrived at. Reading any of Sharon Drew Morgan's materials can also help you facilitate the decision making process.

YOU are sitting on a gold mine of opportunity all things considered equal - go for it.

MitchM - by MitchM
Look in the mirror. It's your job to show your clients how your product is the SOLUTION to their problem and if they state they have a problem, have them state your solution is indeed the solution to their problem and you will make your sale.

For more info you can PM me.

salespro - by salespro
Are you sure you're using sales techniques that best fit the people you're selling to?
I would think that your prospects are people not likely to make a quick change (I know I'm stereotyping older people).
Maybe look at successful sales techniques for selling to an older group.
Susan - by susana
I'd surmise that the element of trust has a lot to do with decisions in the insurance business ... trust in:
1. the company (to deliver on the promise); and,
2. the policy (to include what was originally contemplated); and,
3. the sales person who sits across from them tying the ribbon on all of the above;

You can be CONVINCED that you're offering the best for the least but if you don't convince your prospects, you'll be sipping coffee in McDonald's wondering what went wrong!

NEVER assume that savings (for example) are their number one priority. Rather, you need to dig for what compelled them to get onboard with their current company (could be the brother-in-law) OR why they got insurance in the first place! Then, you'll be in great shape to probe into how your offering can be better positioned in their minds:
>> "... when you originally decided to get insurance, what were the motivators ...";
>> "... specifically what was it about this insurance company/policy which attracted your attention?";
>> "... if I handed you the pallette and paint brush and asked you to paint me a picture of the perfect insurance relationship ... what would it look like ...";

It's called "selling" but it really should be called "asking/listening" because you can't sell successfully unless you know what they need.

Good luck & Good selling!
Pat - by OUTSource Sales
Simple:

Understand one thing and it will change your whole presentation.

Most people are not going to purchase based on the reasons you listed.

Product is the best? Maybe it is maybe it isnt. Thats still not an EMOTIONAL reason why people buy.

It saves them money? A good logical reason. Logic rarely works with people. First off you are asking them to adopt YOUR logic.

Try this.

First determine the identity your client has for themself. Then work on that.

For example:
If the senior tells you stories about how people would try and fool them back in the day and they were too smart for that....
Then you can later (much later) say "I'll bet you are the kind of person that doesnt want to be victimized by your current company any longer? today is the day you tell them that you are too smart for them."

Be careful though, thats just an example. They might actually like being victims. If they go on and on about how thier health is bad and thier kids never come to see them, then you might have a natural born victim on your hands. Showing them how they will save money is not going to work. In this case you might have to close by saying something like this:
"You know bob, with all of the hardship you are facing, and its a lot, I have to say that you really dont have a choice other than to take this plan now! Most people have the luxury of waiting but you are in a rough place and this is the only move you have left!"

Take the extra time to talk with your client in the beginning portion of your presentation and you will discover thier identity for themself. As my mentor (Mickey Booher) used to say "discover thier identity and the rest is easy"

Hope this helps. - by girlclozer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.